Is WP8 open enough for VLC to be possible?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I know it will be unquestionably for videos downloaded from SkyDrive. I'm interested to see if they can do it without their own data center on the phone to query.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I backed the Kickstarter project and just checked the updates.

It seems they've had a fairly torrid time getting VLC to work on Windows RT, but have had help from Microsoft. The last update was June, so hopefully we'll have some good news.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the reasons why I am a supporter of having Windows Phone being 'more open' with regards to the access for developers and functionality to end users. I shouldn't be told "go to Android," for God's sake I like Windows Phone, but I do wish for it to be stronger in certain respects. More power (access to the OS) to the developers and we will see apps such as VLC. More access and we will see our amazing third party developers meet in-demand features, e.g. notification centers. Sure, MS doesn't need to be as liberal as Android, but how about giving developers behind MetroTube, Liquid Daffodil, etc, i.e. premium and longstanding supporters, considerable access? This is the ideal solution, If WP users have a need, you have the right 3rd party developers to meet it until those functions as pushed by Microsoft via updates.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I know it will be unquestionably for videos downloaded from SkyDrive. I'm interested to see if they can do it without their own data center on the phone to query.

I didn't think we would see a torrent client on WP but we now have wptorrent. Apparently an app can reserve space for itself. I am guessing that the space is flexible considering what wptorrent does.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think we would see a torrent client on WP but we now have wptorrent. Apparently an app can reserve space for itself. I am guessing that the space is flexible considering what wptorrent does.

Re: torrent clients, I always believed we'd see one, but in the manner of wpTorrent where downloads are silo'ed within the app without any chance of easily transferring it.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It is really easy to get files from wptorrent to a computer.
What other method do you use? I can't access HTTP share from website for some reasons. Currently I am seeding from my phone and download the same torrent on the computer, then add the IP and port of the phone that is seeding the torrent to have faster download speed on the computer, since they are on same network. I get 3.7MBytes - 4MBytes /sec from phone to PC, which is decent rate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss