Developers of InPic reverse engineering/copying codes from Instance and #2InstaWithMassiveLove

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I just want to rant out my concerns, as I've made a discovery today regarding InPic's (Applify) shady practices during the production of the application. As a developer myself, this is totally unacceptable as they were one of the reputable developer around. I couldn't believe it myself as they have released a high quality YouTube app on the Windows 8 store, PrimeTube.

I've been developing on an Instagram client since July 2013 when Instagraph was released to Windows Phone. That was #2InstaWithMassiveLove.
Sure, #2InstaWithMassiveLove was not as fully featured as Instance or 6tag. However, I worked hard day and night focusing on Windows Phone 7 users exclusively. I'm well aware that it didn't get as much attention as Instance or 6tag since they were leaps and bounds better on its first release. That's fine, I kept my promise and kept updating the app as much as I can despite the tight schedule with school.

However, what's frustrating is how much attention the newly released InPic got from WPCentral, & WMPoweruser on its first release. Even recently, when they got reposting of photos when it have been on mine for months. InPic updated with multiple account support and the ability to repost Instagram photos | Windows Phone Central
Fine, I live with it and continue focusing on WP7.

That's until today that I've come to a conclusion on how much InPic was following on my recent updates. For instance, I released notifications around a month ago and 1 week later. It was released for InPic too! Just 2 weeks ago, they've even implemented reposting of photos that raised my suspicion. I've decided to take a look at their Windows 8 code only to confirm what I thought to be.
They are simply copy pasting code right off the reverse engineered version of my .XAP file for their own purpose without asking.

I've since cancelled the certification of the official app until this gets ironed out.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/229613-12.htm

Certainly, I cannot claim rights on other developers making Instagram or not. But stealing codes is another issue.
Please be my judge.

I'll be glad to release the source code of #2InstaWithMassiveLove and the latest binary file of InPic on Windows 8.

So what's the lesson learnt here? Protect your codes.

Last edited:

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've only recently started developing on Windows Phone, but I was under the impression that XAPs were encrypted when released on the market place. So how have they obtained your code and vice versa? Has someone distributed a development XAP to you?

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I've only recently started developing on Windows Phone, but I was under the impression that XAPs were encrypted when released on the market place. So how have they obtained your code and vice versa? Has someone distributed a development XAP to you?

I'd be interested to know this too. The Windows phone XAP's are encrypted and as far as I'm aware this hasn't been cracked yet. Or do you have a Windows 8 store version (which are not protected when installed).

Edit: I'm a bit bleary eyed at the moment but looking at both bits of code there are some similarity's (I realise theirs is a decompile) but it doesn't look like a straight copy and paste. Are you sure about your allegation?

Last edited:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
While I symphatize with your feelings, that's a serious accusation and will be difficult to prove, moreso that the codes are different and one can always point out similarities to make a point.

If I will be making an app to get Instagram feed, I would come up with something like what you posted without needing to see any code beforehand.

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd be interested to know this too. The Windows phone XAP's are encrypted and as far as I'm aware this hasn't been cracked yet. Or do you have a Windows 8 store version (which are not protected when installed).

Edit: I'm a bit bleary eyed at the moment but looking at both bits of code there are some similarity's (I realise theirs is a decompile) but it doesn't look like a straight copy and paste. Are you sure about your allegation?

Using an online comparison tool there is mostly similarity in the syntax, which is to be expected. Couple of lines tops are identical.

rudyhuyn

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
OMG !!!!

I wrote some articles about .Net reverse engineering and I'm 100% sure that LastBattle is right, this is exactly the same source code (the only differences are symptomatic of the .net compiler + decompiler).

Study Instagram API is one thing, stole source code is an other

rudyhuyn

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just a question, you spoke about copying codes from Instance and #2InstaWithMassiveLove but show only a #2InstaWithMassiveLove stolen code, what proof do you have for Instance ?

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
OMG !!!!

I wrote some articles about .Net reverse engineering and I'm 100% sure that LastBattle is right, this is exactly the same source code (the only differences are symptomatic of the .net compiler + decompiler).

Study Instagram API is one thing, stole source code is an other

Have a closer look - it's not *exactly* the same code (even though it's decompiled) - Coincidence?

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site

Its only Windows Phone 7 apps that are affected, at the moment WP8 isn't vulnerable to this.
A simple search of ".XAP" will get you that. https://www.google.com/#q=#2instawithmassivelove+XAP

Yes, they are now encrypted on WP8. However the phone will still have to decrypt it eventually to read off the contents. So its only a matter of time before this affects WP8, unless your app is developed in language like C++.

If you want help in filing the appropriate paperwork to boot their *** off the marketplace, ping me. (rafael@withinwindows.com)

Thanks.. I'll contact you later.

Its the direct copy of the compiler optimized version of the code. It'll look the same once you decompile #2InstaWithMassiveLove and compare that same piece of code.

I have in fact purchased a copy of http://www.preemptive.com/products/dotfuscator/overview
It wasn't used in the recent version of the app due to the fact that its not working well with Telerik controls, causing the app to crash once launched. I'm still waiting for this to be fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium