Microsoft Student Partners - a joke?

Ady Tamimi1

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello fellow WPCentral members,

Earlier this month Microsoft did a presentation in Romania in my university, where they invited students to participate in Microsoft Student Partners program. It's basically some training courses for programming in Windows 8 / WP8 for all programming levels.
I've applied for WP8 for beginners, and someone there told me I must have Windows 8.1 and a WP device. I've got an i5 notebook with 64-bit which supports virtualization and W8.1 for Hyper-V. (Yes I have an idea about requirements) and as a WP device I've got a Nokia Lumia 920.

Now here's the deal, today they sent me an e-mail telling me that the courses will begin next week, and told me about the tools I need, which are as follows:

-Visual Studio 2012.
-Windows Phone 7.1 SDK.

... Wait what? WP 7.1 SDK? Is it a typo? Maybe they've meant WP8.1 SDK even though it's not yet available publicly? No... They've sent me this link Download Windows Phone SDK 7.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center which takes you to the WP7.1 SDK and wrote this as a note:

"We'll be working in VS2012 and Phone 7.1 because:
1: Windows Phone 8 SDK needs Windows 8/8.1 as an operating system, and not everyone has it.
2: There are some configurations that don't support virtualizations for 8 (example: the PC-s in the labs).
3: WP7 applications work on WP8, but not vice versa."

I know for a fact that MOST WP7 apps work in WP8, but NOT all.
But working in WP7.1 SDK means that there will be severe limitations on the APIs available to work with, and we won't benefit of any single API exclusive to WP8, am I right?

I want to ask you more experienced programmers, what are your opinions? Should I go for these courses? I know I'm probably nitpicking and asking for a lot when these courses are for free and I'm a total beginner in programming. I just wanted to share this little story and see your opinions about it. :)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It will probably still be interesting and I'm sure you can apply most of what they teach with the WP8 SDK.

The virtualization requirement is one that prevents low end laptops (which students might have) from running the Hyper-V emulator in 8 and so I can see why they'd go that way.

If you're new to programming then any free course will help, so I'd say go for it!

Ady Tamimi1

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I guess I'm going for it after all, you're totally right that anything free can help me.

I've even found some online guides on C# and WP8 programming. I'm sure they will help along with these courses! I'm thinking of getting both WP7 and WP8 SDKs and try to apply what I've learned to both of them and see the difference between them.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Also, the number of new things in 8.0 is small as compared to everything in 7.1 (which was publicized as Mango/7.5). Off the top of my head, you'll be missing wide tiles, speech recognition, lock screens, fast app resume (maybe?), and some other fairly minor stuff.

You'll be well served by getting a foundation in the 7.x code. Welcome to WP development!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss