ExtensibilityApp class in WP 8.1 Silverlight

jennifercolemanme

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

If you've read the text that USED to exist here before, scratch that. Big Thanks for clarifying what I thought was a win. Due to this, I DID find something interesting in regards to the ExtensibilityApp class (Windows.Phone.System.LockscreenExtensibility.Exte nsibilityApp). I happened to also find a hidden capability "ID_CAP_SHELL_DEVICE_LOCK_UI_API" (Seems to be a locked CAP because it only works on Emulator. I get a deployment error on my if I try including this capability). I suspected that these two worked together, but I wanted to make sure of this.

Before we get started, read through the documentation from this site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...bilityapp.aspx.

We have the following methods:
BeginUnlock
EndUnlock
GetLockPinpadHeight
IsLockScreenApplicationRegistered
IsSystemOverlayApplicationRegistered
RaiseToastNotifications
RegisterLockScreenApplication
RegisterSystemOverlayApplication
UnregisterLockScreenApplication
UnregisterSystemOverlayApplication

As usual, Microsoft doesn't really give us much in terms of documentation.. Probably because it isn't meant to be used by the normal developer.

All of these methods have no parameters at all, but I can almost guarantee this has to do with having an application that can control the lock screen.

This thread will be for efforts in breaking this open and seeing whether we can create lockscreen applications..

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral.

I've moved this thread to the Developers Corner forum, since this subject is something that is more relevant to developers than ordinary users.

Expression2

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've tried this API before. Can't really get it to work cause i don't see any public properties for setting FrameworkElements or anything. Let's just wait for Joe to announce the next update before we try anything

sinclairinator

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You won't be able to deploy. ID_CAP_SHELL_DEVICE_LOCK_UI_API is restricted at the moment. In terms of FrameworkElements, you're close there. It actually uses a Silverlight app as the LockApp. I was able to deploy test code to the Emulator using that capability, BUT the emulator doesn't contain all of the necessary files in order to actually allow you to run the app

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I look to the code of the app (that trick of SD Card) ...
Here's the manifest...
<Capabilities>
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_NETWORKING" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_AUDIO" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_PLAYBACK" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_SENSORS" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_WEBBROWSERCOMPONENT" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_PUSH_NOTIFICATION" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_SHELL_DEVICE_LOCK_UI_API" />
</Capabilities>

And in the end:
<InProcessServer>
<Path>Nokia.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.dll</Path>
<ActivatableClass ActivatableClassId="Nokia.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.BufferFactory" ThreadingModel="both" />
</InProcessServer>

PS: Microsoft has corrected the bug to view the apps from the SD card with the update 12400.899.
I'm with my brother's phone in 895

sinclairinator

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I look to the code of the app (that trick of SD Card) ...
Here's the manifest...
<Capabilities>
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_NETWORKING" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_AUDIO" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_PLAYBACK" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_SENSORS" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_WEBBROWSERCOMPONENT" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_PUSH_NOTIFICATION" />
<Capability Name="ID_CAP_SHELL_DEVICE_LOCK_UI_API" />
</Capabilities>

And in the end:
<InProcessServer>
<Path>Nokia.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.dll</Path>
<ActivatableClass ActivatableClassId="Nokia.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.BufferFactory" ThreadingModel="both" />
</InProcessServer>

PS: Microsoft has corrected the bug to view the apps from the SD card with the update 12400.899.
I'm with my brother's phone in 895

No wonder I wasn't able to use the SD Card trick. I tried it out AFTER I had .899 :p.

Yeah, I already have the binary for the live lock app. Looking through it confirmed everything I put in the post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786