Help a Newbie!

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Hey Devs,
As my name suggests that i am a Windows Phone Fan..
I want to develop some apps/games for Windows Phone Platform.
So,Whats the Whole Procedure?

I am learning basics about C#/ASP.NET as WP apps are based on NTKernel and are written .NET framework.
So,I am anxious to know how to build a app/game that will be stable and properly coded.
And,I have Visual Studio 2012 but I am not sure about if app/game can be coded for Windows Phone 8 or later?
Any Advices Developers ?:smile:

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Try microsoftvirtualacademy.com/windows-phone, look for the jump-start beginners course. If I remember correctly, it will guide you through getting the required tools as well.

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Got it,Browsing through the website now.
And I must say that I really appreciate it.
Thank You Sir,
If any tips you would like to me as a Developer?

George Kounas

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
If you are interested in developing games for windows phone, you should use game engines such as construct 2 for 2d games or unity for 2d or 3d games, they are created to make your life easier. especially with construct 2 you need to know only the basics about coding.

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
If you are interested in developing games for windows phone, you should use game engines such as construct 2 for 2d games or unity for 2d or 3d games, they are created to make your life easier. especially with construct 2 you need to know only the basics about coding.

Thanks,I heard about unity but not construct 2.
Definitely I will give a try. :)

Are you a developer too?

loverusham

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The Best Way to be a developer is to Read ,Research and Continuous Dedication. More often it happens with us that the Idea is Amazing but due to our limitation of knowledge the implementation becomes Very Very challenging. Often the standard syntax u see in books is not sufficient and u need to twist and turn it to meet your requirements.It even becomes frustrating and depressing if your all alone and you don't get your desired solution.So Don't Quit work harder. I am sharing this experience because as a newbie developer we aspire high but will get stuck most of the time at a point. For me it was the Isolated Storage Class Implementation. Had everything code,syntax and Logic but just couldn't get it right till 8 days and then it clicked finally after Researching. So main key is Dedication. I have some great Appstart Basic building books that will be useful. U can inbox me your email address if u want it. :smile:

myildiz

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Check this out: microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/windows-phone-8-1-development-for-absolute-beginners
This course helped me a lot when I first started developing for WP8.1

Sp3ci

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello! Ok so if you're interested in developing games for Windows Phone (or whatever else platform) I would really suggest you to learn using Unity. Unity has got really good tutorials at:
unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

Unity has also got an Asset Store which has got many free stuff like graphics, sounds and scripts too to use in your games.

Also I would suggest you to get newest Visual Studio Community 2013 which is a free but unrestricted version of Visual Studio from:
visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

And when (the list of links goes on:) you're really getting to develop things some plug ins will help you to do that and save your time. At the moment until June 2015 you can get free Unity plugins for Windows Store/Phone platform from:
prime31.com/plugins

But first of all you need to acquire some basic programming skills. I've been developing with the Unity using C# and I really like it :) Yay that's my info.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am learning basics about C#/ASP.NET as WP apps are based on NTKernel

I know this is not really related to the question you were asking, but I just wanted to mention that as an app developer, you have absolutely no point of contact with the kernel. The kernel resides a level below any of the public APIs you'd ever use.

Of course the kernel can influence how your apps run, thread scheduling being one example, but such issues are dealt with "behind your back" and without you having any influence on any of them.

The only people that really come into contact with the kernel, outside of MS, are driver developers, so for WP that's basically MS, Qualcomm and OEMs, but again, not app developers.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for the sake of clarification.

Anyway, good luck!

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I know this is not really related to the question you were asking, but I just wanted to mention that as an app developer, you have absolutely no point of contact with the kernel. The kernel resides a level below any of the public APIs you'd ever use.

Of course the kernel can influence how your apps run, thread scheduling being one example, but such issues are dealt with "behind your back" and without you having any influence on any of them.

The only people that really come into contact with the kernel, outside of MS, are driver developers, so for WP that's basically MS, Qualcomm and OEMs, but again, not app developers.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for the sake of clarification.

Anyway, good luck!

Whoa! Thanks for the information.
I'm still a learner and will learn lot more in near future I hope so.
I am always dreaming that someday or another my apps/games will get featured on Windows Central and therefore gain popularity but that day is still far away atleast for now :).
Great Members(Devs) like you all which helps a newbie to be one of a developer like you is really heartening :). Glad too see this support. Thank you all :)

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello! Ok so if you're interested in developing games for Windows Phone (or whatever else platform) I would really suggest you to learn using Unity. Unity has got really good tutorials at:
unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

Unity has also got an Asset Store which has got many free stuff like graphics, sounds and scripts too to use in your games.

Also I would suggest you to get newest Visual Studio Community 2013 which is a free but unrestricted version of Visual Studio from:
visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

And when (the list of links goes on:) you're really getting to develop things some plug ins will help you to do that and save your time. At the moment until June 2015 you can get free Unity plugins for Windows Store/Phone platform from:
prime31.com/plugins

But first of all you need to acquire some basic programming skills. I've been developing with the Unity using C# and I really like it :) Yay that's my info.

First of all,That was a quite helpful for me.Thank so much for that info.
Second,Yes I am still learning as mentioned earlier so now I am quarter away from developing apps(like 30% - 40%).
And when i will be done developing apps then i will move on to games :D.
Plus,I am gamer too.So I am very much eager to develop some games by using Unity Platform.
Thank you again for the information :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes