Will Visual Studio 2015 include a w10 sdk?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm still working primarily in vs2012 as that's what we have at work and just upgraded to 2013 and use it at home. I've read about some of the changes that are coming, how they're opening up .net and we'll have the ability to develop across platforms in vs but I haven't tried neither the vs2015 preview nor the community edition of 2013.

Is the plan for the final version of vs2015 to include the tools to develop apps for w10? I ask because I remember them waiting until after they released wp8 to release the sdk to everyone which I thought was a huge mistake and one of the major contributors to the "app gap" and some of the sub-par apps still floating around today. I really hope they're going to give devs everything we need to play around with the platform and familiarize ourselves with it at least a few months before they release w10.

luke_f

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Sure it will include the Windows 10 SDK. At the "Build" conference end of april, MS will talk about the development side and APIs of Windows 10, and will release a version of VS2015 (CTP) which includes the SDK. Also for Windows 8, the VS CTP including the SDK was released at the Build conference months before the official launch. Actually, I think it was a few days after the conference, but still almost half a year before official release of Windows 8.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Sure it will include the Windows 10 SDK. At the "Build" conference end of april, MS will talk about the development side and APIs of Windows 10, and will release a version of VS2015 (CTP) which includes the SDK. Also for Windows 8, the VS CTP including the SDK was released at the Build conference months before the official launch. Actually, I think it was a few days after the conference, but still almost half a year before official release of Windows 8.

I was referring to the Windows Phone 8 sdk, which was released for a select group a developers early. Everyone else had to wait until after they launch for it. If what you'e saying about w10 is true then it looks like it's going to be the same story. Isn't w10 scheduled for a Spring release? That would mean they're releasing the sdk around the same time they release the OS.

luke_f

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh ok, you were talking about WP8. Now I see it was even written in your original message, sorry.

Windows 10 (PC) is scheduled for Q3/15, so for that there won't be a problem. But not much is known about WP10. There are rumours that it could be released earlier. I guess we will know more in two days!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes