Zune inspired media player (Phase)

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,
Today I got kind of fed up with Xbox Music. Zune was running on my desktop so I decided, why not bring some elements of the Zune UI to a new music player? So, I got to work. After a couple of hours I already achieved some results, I called it Phase.
I also wanted to cut back on the amount of buttons and clutter on the screen, to keep a clean and fast UI and UX.

My plans for this player are:
- Easy playback controls (tap the screen to play/pause)
- Access your song collection based on artist, track title, genre and playlist (double tap the screen to access your songs).
- Customizable colors, so you can tweak the app to your preferences
- Normal shuffle and repeat behaviours
- Per day music played history
- Swipe to the right on a song to add to now playing list (don't know if I'll get this to work, never worked with gestures before)
- Slide over cut off text (like song title) to view the complete text
- Gradient color overlay moves slowly over the screen
- Small and large albums randomly appear and disappear

Up until now there's no loading screen, it runs instantly (without any annoying 'loading...' WP sometimes shows), so I probably won't make one.

This is a screenshot of what I achieved in a couple of hours. Suggestions, ideas?
wp_ss_20150120_0018.jpg

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It's way too light. Make it darker, and eventually put a subtle gradient on top and underneath.

I'd be happy helping you design icons or parts of the UI btw :)

Last edited:

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I didn't know the exact Zune colors, so I used an estimate as placeholder.
I'm planning on making it customizable anyway, so users can choose their own colors.

Sure, that'd be great!
You can send me designs and icon, proper credit will be given of course if I'd use your work.

Btw,
Use of the longlistselector is not an option, as there are known memory leaks when loadin big chunks of data which can cause the app to crash (this is Microsoft's fault, little that developers can do to solve it).

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Progress is slow, I'm, trying to port my Nest app to W8 as well. But Im running W10 and messed up Visual Studio (the development software) quite a bit so I keep running into random crashes etc. Hope Microsoft fixes this soon so I can resume proper development!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Dare I say it? Can you change the hamburger to elipses and move it to the lower right? I hope there are pivots/panorama.

I use the Zune PC software all the time. It still works and syncs with MICROSOFT account and Music Pass. The store is still called Zune Msrketplace.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So. My comment, totally stopped the discussion? Are you flabbergasted by my comment to follow the Windows Phone elegant modern UI design? Just wondering?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes