I want to be a developper

WPL925

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone! I just graduated from high school and i'm planning to study programmation (french, i dont know the word in english) basically i've always thought of the idea of creating apps/programs to be really interesting and cool, but I never learnt anything about it, and I would love to recieve ANY help, I don't really know where to start (i want to prepare myself before university starts)! Thank you all in advance :)

vivekgiri_7

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone! I just graduated from high school and i'm planning to study programmation (french, i dont know the word in english) basically i've always thought of the idea of creating apps/programs to be really interesting and cool, but I never learnt anything about it, and I would love to recieve ANY help, I don't really know where to start (i want to prepare myself before university starts)! Thank you all in advance :)

Aah >_<
I'm also suffering from this same situation.
(the most confusing part of life)
In short, I need help also

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend picking a language. I started out in c++ but my company builds in C#, so I had to switch (10 years ago). If you plan on building for windows only, I would pick c#. Next, get yourself a couple "Beginning Programming in 'X' Language" books. Then go get yourself VS Express and play around. Write a few console apps, Windows Forms, or maybe even a basic universal windows app.

I will say this, don't pay some one to teach you to program. Just because somebody has a degree doesnt mean they are a good programmer. Learn on your own, you really need that drive because programming can get really tedious (I'm browsing this site now because I am absolutely burnt out writing an Asp.Net Web API service :amaze:). Don't be intimated by people that know more than you, mine them for gold.

WPL925

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend picking a language. I started out in c++ but my company builds in C#, so I had to switch (10 years ago). If you plan on building for windows only, I would pick c#. Next, get yourself a couple "Beginning Programming in 'X' Language" books. Then go get yourself VS Express and play around. Write a few console apps, Windows Forms, or maybe even a basic universal windows app.

I will say this, don't pay some one to teach you to program. Just because somebody has a degree doesnt mean they are a good programmer. Learn on your own, you really need that drive because programming can get really tedious (I'm browsing this site now because I am absolutely burnt out writing an Asp.Net Web API service :amaze:). Don't be intimated by people that know more than you, mine them for gold.

Thank you very much, I really don't know what Language i will study so i'm not sure and no i'm not planning to program for windows only, are languages really that different? What is the most common language? I heard it's C++
Do you have any links that could help me? Videos on youtube? Thank you (again)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It has been my experience that many people who have been "self-taught" for computer programming, they have learned some bad habits that prevent them from being as productive as they could be otherwise. I had the advantage of learning at a young age from my father, who worked for IBM. This was in the early 1970s before there were any personal computers... not even the Commodore 64 was out yet.

Courses at the University may not teach you the specifics of how to program a particular language that you may need for a certain platform if you decide to do that later on, but it will teach you proper programming techniques, how to organize your work, and how to be successful at it. However, be aware that taking courses at the university in programming will no more make you a great programmer than taking art classes can make you a great painter. Your brain needs to be wired for it. Those who learn only for books without having the natural talent for it will only be mediocre at best. That's why MikeInBA said "Just because somebody has a degree doesnt mean they are a good programmer." Some people can just "see" the program before they write it. Like John Nash with his talent for math. He could see the formulas appear in his head before he made the great breakthroughs that he had.

I started programming in C when I was 8 years old (no, not C#, not C++, those didn't exist in the early 70's. It was just C.) I wrote a game in C when I was 10 that incorporated artificial intelligence to learn from its mistakes as it played, and every time you played against the computer, it got smarter until you finally could not beat the game. It made it not much fun to play. Not to mention not many people could even try it, because how many people could afford an IBM 5110 Mainframe? Had to load the program with a few hundred punch cards instead of a CD. Haha! If you don't know what a punch card is, Bing it.

Programming is a great career IF you have the kind of talent that can help you rise to the top and demand good pay. Without that special talent, you can end up as one on a team of programmers or as a freelancer that makes it paycheck to paycheck, because everyone wants to be a programmer in high school it seems. Yes, I speak from experience. I retired at 45 and don't have to deal with the projects any more.

WPL925

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
@rhapdog thank you very much for your post, as for the talent, I dont know if I have it since I never programmed before, but we studied Pascal in high school and although I skipped most of classes i LOVED solving the problems, because it requires thinking and not memorizing stuff, so yeah i find programming to be really interesting :) but can you answer me? If i learn how to program in C is it easier to switch to Java or C++ or any other language?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend starting with C++. The basic structure of Java can teach bad habits. If you learn how to program properly with C++, then you can apply what you have learned to pick up the components of any other computing language and do well. Out of todays available languages for writing cross-platform code, Java is probably the least efficient in terms of performance for the end user. It may be easier to do the coding, but the end product is bloated and you won't learn the skills you need to go far. If you learn C++ first, Java becomes very easy to pick up.

I have learned that since I have a solid basic understanding of programming the proper way using structured code and object oriented programming, I have been able to pick up a new language fairly easily over the course of a weekend or a week, depending on the complexity of the individual language. I have used more than 30 programming languages in my career and found that switching between them is easy enough as long as I don't get the syntax and commands confused between languages.

Beowulf King

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, I shall start learning C++ then! And I am truly amazed by your knowledge! It's truly inspiring :)

Dear,

Hope you love coding and making products to solve problems in the real world. As you know, you should learn a Language programming such as: C++ or C# or Java. You also learn others skill and knowledge to use the language you learnt to solve problems such as: Data Structure, OOP, Design Pattern, ....
you can take a look it-ebook (dot)org to download free ebooks to learn.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Before I started computing in college,I took some some time to read and understand the concepts of programming.In my case I knew I would be working in java which is an object oriented language.This would also apply to c++

My advice to you would be to learn about objects.learn about attributes and operations. Just look at the basic concepts of oo programming. Create your first HelloWorld application and understand what's happening.You dont want to get too involved with code before you start.You will get frustrated and afraid.

Best of luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes