Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By uptempo777
  • 1 Post By Muessig

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Just picked up the Nokia Lumia 1020 on Friday coming from the Lumia 920. Why does it seem that the night shots on auto mode on the 1020 aren't as good as the night shots on auto mode on the 920? They seem like they get a lot less light. I'm sure I can fiddle with the manual settings but I like that my 920 used to figure it out "auto"matically.

Anyone else noticing that?

I appreciate your frustration BUT if you upgraded from a 920 to a 1020 and are using the automatic setting then you have completely missed the point of the 1020.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by uptempo777 View Post
    Just picked up the Nokia Lumia 1020 on Friday coming from the Lumia 920. Why does it seem that the night shots on auto mode on the 1020 aren't as good as the night shots on auto mode on the 920? They seem like they get a lot less light. I'm sure I can fiddle with the manual settings but I like that my 920 used to figure it out "auto"matically.

Anyone else noticing that?
    Check the exif data and compare the settings auto uses. Also the aperture on the 1020 is smaller if I remember correctly. Though other measures should correct for that. I also noticed the lackluster lack of light from night shots, but maybe they are trying to make it somewhat more realistic. 920 night shots look like daytime.

Also agree with the poster above. Manual settings are the only thing you should be using if you go from 920 to 1020. I have been playing around with them a lot. Really makes the photos amazing. In all conditions.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by how1ard View Post
    I appreciate your frustration BUT if you upgraded from a 920 to a 1020 and are using the automatic setting then you have completely missed the point of the 1020.
    I know what you are saying but to be realistic, we don't always have time to change the settings for the perfect shot. There's an auto mode for a reason. Although, there should at least be shortcut of modes (night shot, bright daylight, etc) which I'm sure a lot of us would use.

Not all of us are great photographers (yet) and if people don't get good shots out of the box, they'll feel that the 1020's camera isn't as good as it's been touted.
    Last edited by uptempo777; 07-29-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    pavvento likes this.

I totally agree with you. Besides, you can always adjust the brightness of a night shot with more details darker in software but not the other way around, if you didn't capture those details, you won't be able to make them visible in software.

After further testing, I think the night shots with flash come out much more crisp on the 1020, but without flash, on auto settings, I give the edge to the 920. But after adjusting the exposure time and ISO a bit, I could definitely beat my 920 shot with the 1020. Just keep at it guys!

Global Posts
    1,434 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bkydcmpr View Post
    I totally agree with you. Besides, you can always adjust the brightness of a night shot with more details darker in software but not the other way around, if you didn't capture those details, you won't be able to make them visible in software.
    I started a thread for tips like this, would you be willing to post some software editing tips for people such as myself that are relatively new to photography/editing post shot? Thanks!

Community Expertise for Editing and Touching up Photos
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Going to sell the 1020 and the camera is the one thing I will miss. Any phone I've had I never went out a played around at taking pictures just because there was nothing much you could do with a normal phone. Now I started out taking pictures with real film back when I was a kid and have even done some pro-photo stuff thru the years. Worked at a small news paper as a photog when I was in high school and free lance later in life so I understand more then most what effects the different setting can do. So the 1020 has been a fun phone to use for the camera side. But I'm sure other will start offering something like it before long

Global Posts
    3,964 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by capcom303 View Post
    Going to sell the 1020 and the camera is the one thing I will miss. Any phone I've had I never went out a played around at taking pictures just because there was nothing much you could do with a normal phone. Now I started out taking pictures with real film back when I was a kid and have even done some pro-photo stuff thru the years. Worked at a small news paper as a photog when I was in high school and free lance later in life so I understand more then most what effects the different setting can do. So the 1020 has been a fun phone to use for the camera side. But I'm sure other will start offering something like it before long
    Hey Capcom, really sorry to hear you're selling your 1020. I'm just curious if you appreciated the camera on it, what is it that's leading you away from the phone? Maybe we can help you sort any problems out?
    unstoppablekem likes this.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Guys... let me refer you to a tweet from Juha Alakarhu: "@ZiadTammam @stevelitchfield @PhoneDaz 1020 uses darker tone mapping at high ISOs because, e.g., 920 got feedback for too bright night shots". And this is fairly noticeable, as if you take the 1020 and just amp up the ISO, you will get good lowlight pictures, but you will notice it stays very "dark" compare to say the iPhone or the 920 which both amps up the ISO at lowlight to compensate.... (also comparing to the 808 at my side just now). This is by design, to keep the images true to scene. So to brighten up the scene to the unrealistic levels of the 920, you'll have to use the shutter speed to compensate for the darker tone mapping that gets activated at high ISO. - it's all done in the name of complaining. as the consumer feedback of the lumia 920 in 2012 of not being able to capture realistic night scenes(lighting them up too much).
    Last edited by Saint Michael; 05-16-2014 at 01:59 PM.