Edge using a LOT of memory

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
At the moment edge os a massive resource hog. I had to stop using it. Plus the fact ads were everywhere. But I would have about 2 hrs battery life on my Acer timeline using edge and over 8 using ie.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I thought Edge was meant to be more optimised. I'm even debating whether to chuck in another 8gb of ram into my laptop (total 16) just to keep things smooth since Edge with only about 10-15 tabs (and Spotify running) already consumes up 7.4gb!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shad_Kerr_16

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm using around 1gb and I only have 4 tabs open. That's crazy. I read somewhere they tested Edge against other browsers and it was faster and better on battery life. I might try to use another browser but I do like Edge but I like having more RAM available more. :)

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I have noticed this too. I thought it was d/t Insder preview but I am back now to RTM version, and it continues to use a lot of memory, CPU, and making my fans go wild.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Ran a RAM test for my own curiosity last night. Ten tabs: Gmail, The Old Reader, Facebook, random site, a weather site, two pages of guitar tabs, two theology tabs, and the Bioshock walkthrough from GameFAQs. Firefox had Adblock Plus, Noscript, and All In One Gestures. Edge had Adblock Plus and Mouse Gestures. Chrome had nothing. Firefox = 700MB RAM, Chrome = 1GB, Edge = 1.5GB. After testing some of the sites (and general browsing), I think Edge was the fastest, followed by Chrome.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Ran a RAM test for my own curiosity last night. Ten tabs: Gmail, The Old Reader, Facebook, random site, a weather site, two pages of guitar tabs, two theology tabs, and the Bioshock walkthrough from GameFAQs. Firefox had Adblock Plus, Noscript, and All In One Gestures. Edge had Adblock Plus and Mouse Gestures. Chrome had nothing. Firefox = 700MB RAM, Chrome = 1GB, Edge = 1.5GB. After testing some of the sites (and general browsing), I think Edge was the fastest, followed by Chrome.

try without the game site and the guitar ones maybe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte