Edge Sucks Battery/CPU/RAM in W10, but not WM10?

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Given that the W10 and WM10 code bases are supposed to be similar, why is that I can have open 30 tabs of Edge in WM10 without effecting performance at all (vanilla install on a L950) when 10 tabs of Edge bogs down W10 on a fairly fast laptop (also a vanilla install)? It seems like WM10 tabs are "suspended" when not in use but not W10 tabs.

There's no Task Manager in WM10 to compare with W10, but both OSes show "Battery use" levels in the Batter Saver app. In WM10, Edge shows as a low battery use percentage with 30 tabs always open. In W10, 10 tabs will usually show as using over 50% of battery. Task Manager often shows 10 tabs of Edges sucks 40% of CPU and cut my battery life in half. Yes, I've closed tabs one-by-one to see if one is out of control.

I don?t know if this just with me; I doubt it is. If not, why would W10 tabs suck battery, RAM, and CPU when WM10 don't? Thanks in advance.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Given that the W10 and WM10 code bases are supposed to be similar, why is that I can have open 30 tabs of Edge in WM10 without effecting performance at all (vanilla install on a L950) when 10 tabs of Edge bogs down W10 on a fairly fast laptop (also a vanilla install)? It seems like WM10 tabs are "suspended" when not in use but not W10 tabs.

There's no Task Manager in WM10 to compare with W10, but both OSes show "Battery use" levels in the Batter Saver app. In WM10, Edge shows as a low battery use percentage with 30 tabs always open. In W10, 10 tabs will usually show as using over 50% of battery. Task Manager often shows 10 tabs of Edges sucks 40% of CPU and cut my battery life in half. Yes, I've closed tabs one-by-one to see if one is out of control.

I don’t know if this just with me; I doubt it is. If not, why would W10 tabs suck battery, RAM, and CPU when WM10 don't? Thanks in advance.

I guess the mobile version is optimised for mobile - the tabs are open but suspended and hence don't use much of power. On the pc I'm guessing that all tabs are constantly refreshing themselves

Just to confirm, are you on the latest official build 10586.420? You can check in settings > system > about > OS build

Also, in settings > privacy > background apps, disable edge from running in the background - see if that helps

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, by writing I have a vanilla install, I was trying imply that I have the latest production builds. Thanks for the idea of turning off Edge's privilege to run in the background. I'll report back as to how that is working. Much appreciated....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs