Is anybody happy with Edge?

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Ever since Edge gained uBlock Origin, I've made it my default web browser and I'm really loving it on my Surface Pro. Great for both touchpad/keyboard and touchscreen/pen input. In fact, I've ditched Chrome all together as google keeps gimping the experience on PC+ devices like my Surface Pro (learn more here, https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=341335 ). I only use portable Opera on the side for those once in while situations where a site refuses to load in Edge. Other than that, it's Edge all the way.

Just wish more extensions like Lazarus, Imagus, 1Password, YouTube Center, etc, were available for it to further enhance the experience. The bookmarks part could also be improved, but I'm managing with this great tool ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...avorites/04db0843-71fe-417c-9381-2eae727ed424 ), and I'm sure things are only going to get a lot better with the coming Creator's update, Edge is not even up to 2 years old yet.
I've found Edge's bookmark system pretty simple and effective. Honestly, after last update (when download manager had been improved) I need nothing new to Edge.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I like it, but I find the broken hamburger menu non-intuitive. The mess of little icons (reading lists, favorites, downloads, history) doesn't really work for me. I see what they mean, but I still don't feel like I know where things are. Pinning a page to start, was that in dot dot dot or in stripe stripe stripe? And on the PC I miss a 'pin page to desktop' option. And finally, I miss Chrome's custom searches. I have quite a few of those. 'Search on imdb', 'search on google maps', 'search on amazon' etc. Otherwise it's a nice browser.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Edge is terrible on mobile, to the point that half of the websites I link to via Cortana don't render properly. We need to be able to designate default browsers for ourselves on Mobile. If MS wants us to use Edge, make it the best browser out there and people will go to it organically.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Edge is terrible on mobile, to the point that half of the websites I link to via Cortana don't render properly. We need to be able to designate default browsers for ourselves on Mobile. If MS wants us to use Edge, make it the best browser out there and people will go to it organically.

If that's the case then Edge is terrible on the desktop for rendering webpages as well considering they both use the same engine!!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I concur. Saving pages to PDF and printing via Google Cloud apps are 2 major features I'm missing. Microsoft should have done for Mobile 10 as they did with desktop and kept Internet Explorer available as an option. IE11 worked much better IMO.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If that's the case then Edge is terrible on the desktop for rendering webpages as well considering they both use the same engine!!!!

I'm not sure why it is happening. What I know is that when I have used it on Desktop, the font sizes, etc. are correct, though it is not my preferred choice their either. Many times on mobile they aren't. In addition, link and menus often don't work for me. What I know is that UC Browser and others don't have that problem. They work just fine all the time. Edge doesn't, at least not for me.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why it is happening. What I know is that when I have used it on Desktop, the font sizes, etc. are correct, though it is not my preferred choice their either. Many times on mobile they aren't. In addition, link and menus often don't work for me. What I know is that UC Browser and others don't have that problem. They work just fine all the time. Edge doesn't, at least not for me.

I don't have any issues with Edge on Desktop or Mobile so, as I said before, it's either the website, experimental flags enabled or your device needs a factory reset/recovery. Also remember that if you're on the fast ring then you won't have a stable version of Edge anyway.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any issues with Edge on Desktop or Mobile so, as I said before, it's either the website, experimental flags enabled or your device needs a factory reset/recovery. Also remember that if you're on the fast ring then you won't have a stable version of Edge anyway.

And as I said before, other browsers that I use on mobile don't have any problems at all. So, it's Edge. Just because you aren't having a problem personally doesn't mean that there isn't one.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
And as I said before, other browsers that I use on mobile don't have any problems at all. So, it's Edge. Just because you aren't having a problem personally doesn't mean that there isn't one.

All that means is that the websites have workarounds for those other browsers but not for Edge, lets place the blame where it should lie and that's squarely with the websites themselves. If Edge was the problem then most, if not all, websites would have issues so explain to me how issues only occur with some websites?

I also never stated that issues don't exist so stop putting words in my mouth!!!!!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should have done for Mobile 10 as they did with desktop and kept Internet Explorer available as an option.

I work in Enterprise, and I wholeheartedly agree! I would even stick my neck out and say that it wouldn't have hurt to make IE a little more visible on W10.

Microsoft kept IE on desktop for things like SSRS reports, which I (and my customers) use extensively. They do not fully work on other browsers, including Edge. We've had customers that have upgraded their workstations to W10, or gotten new ones with Windows 10, and then they'll call us and complain that their SQL reports do not work. Well, if you have a link to the report, it opens in your default browser, which by default is Edge on Windows 10. Most people though use Firefox or Chrome as default. I haven't found anyone yet who uses IE as their default browser on W10. Ha, most of them don't even know it exists!

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
All that means is that the websites have workarounds for those other browsers but not for Edge, lets place the blame where it should lie and that's squarely with the websites themselves. If Edge was the problem then most, if not all, websites would have issues so explain to me how issues only occur with some websites?

I also never stated that issues don't exist so stop putting words in my mouth!!!!!

You have been attempting to minimize the problems that Edge has by blaming the websites or the settings, etc. There is a reason that this thread was started and there is a reason that MS is having to run ads on Facebook trying to get people to adopt it, and it isn't because everything is fine and dandy with Edge.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I think this thread should have been divided into 2 separate sub-threads. One for desktop and another for mobile. Edge for mobile is incomplete at best. As a creature of habit I use Firefox on my PC devices because I've been using it for so long. On mobile however, there are few choices and even fewer on Continuum. My biggest beef with Edge on mobile is printing. I've solved that problem with Monument Browser and it's Continuum-compatible to boot. It's slow and clunky as the day is long but it gets the job done where Edge can't.

Simply put, Microsoft needs to shore up Edge across the board.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not really it locks up or freezes up on me constantly I went and downloaded Opera. it works fine but edge has been awful for me I've always used explorer, now on my new win10 machine edge but it's frustrating to have it lock up and freeze out all the time.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Not really it locks up or freezes up on me constantly I went and downloaded Opera. it works fine but edge has been awful for me I've always used explorer, now on my new win10 machine edge but it's frustrating to have it lock up and freeze out all the time.

But hey, it's the websites' fault, not MS!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is about the WIndows 10 PC version of edge, NOT the mobile

I try, I really do but, over an over I have problems with edge. Some sites are not formatted correctly, others I cant do basic tasks, like copy a tracking number from ebay (that I have never had a problem in IE or firefox). And a deep check about a month ago, Edge still uses more resources than IE, almost double the memory alone.

I have Edge disabled right now, removed all shortcuts and set IE as default for now, next time a major update comes down, I'll give it a shot.

On my PRIMARY machine, I am NOT enrolled into the preview program. I need a stable machine and although MOST Preview program builds are fine but, 1-2 times through the whole thing, it damaged W10 to a point where a rebuild was the only way out. I need it working so sad to say, I cant play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb