Do you feel burnt out by excessive DLC releases?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm reading this article,

The greed of AAA shooter publishers is chasing us into the arms of competitive MOBAs | Polygon

Okay, so equating the rise of MOBAs to excessive DLC releases is a stretch. It's not as if MOBAs are an offshoot of FPSs. It's an entirely different genre and style of game. However, I do agree that excessive DLC is driving me away from games. I was loving Titanfall until the first DLC pack was released. I haven't played the game since.

I'm not against DLC. I'm against the amount of DLC I have to buy to stay competitive with other players online. If Titanfall was but one of a few games with DLC then I wouldn't mind. But no, Titanfall is but one of many games coming out this year that will have 2-3 content packs shortly after release.

I have to spend $90 bucks to "keep up" with other Titanfall players (or save $5 with a season pass, whoop-de-do). Same for any other multiplayer game I get. But wait, I also have to drop $20 a piece for car packs in Forza 5. Fight through the paywall of Project Spark and save money for any other DLC that might interest me.

I'm not a poor man but heck if I'm dropping $100 bucks for every game that connects to the internet. Much easier to just not buy DLC and use that money on more content rich games.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I have nothing against DLCs as long as the original game was whole. As long as it has a consistent story that has an end.

When they are reasonable priced and bring something new to the game, I'm absolutely in for it. Examples are the story DLCs of Bioshock Infinite that I have bought. Games that have the end of the story missing or major details, games that are only playable with additional purchases, that's just a rip-off and I avoid them in every way.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I would describe the feeling as being screwed over. Most of the DLCs should be part of the basic game and not released to satisfy greedy publishers.
Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I also take issue with the DLC in multiplayer games like Titanfall because they fragment the community. Most multiplayer communities peak shortly after the game's launch and then eventually dwindle down to 'man, it's hard to find a full match' levels. This problem is exacerbated when part of the remaining community doesn't have access to all of the maps.

DLC for single-player games to extend the game (like, extra side stories in Dead Rising 3), those I don't have a problem with as much.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I also take issue with the DLC in multiplayer games like Titanfall because they fragment the community. Most multiplayer communities peak shortly after the game's launch and then eventually dwindle down to 'man, it's hard to find a full match' levels. This problem is exacerbated when part of the remaining community doesn't have access to all of the maps.

DLC for single-player games to extend the game (like, extra side stories in Dead Rising 3), those I don't have a problem with as much.

The problem with DLC for single-player games is that it's most times just parts of the finished game cut out to make extra money (especially with Day One DLC).

tarzanmarzan

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but to expand on your main point what really irks me is a season pass. I understand its cheaper in the long run, but the fact that a lackluster DLC could be part of the package is a gamble.

Back on topic, I still have yet to play any of the major Mass Effect 3 DLCs. But I think they handled that pretty well

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
And we have another game to add to the list: Destiny.
Come on, Bungie, 3-4 months after release you ask for another 20 bucks which is ~1/4 of the retail price of the game? I can't imagine that it's that good to be this expensive and if it was that essential/important for the game, then just include it at release and delay the release if necessary.
For me this is just another case of "we could've included it in the game at release but we decided to give you a mdeiocre game for the full price and later on give you something that makes the game a bit better but you have to pay again for it".

This annoys the crap out of me and gets me angry eventhough I don't even own it and have no intentions of buying it BECAUSE of improper marketing schemes like this!

edit: but what annoys me even more are those who sound like they are bought by the publishers, saying "na, it's not perfect but it's still fun. but if you don't like it you don't have to buy it". Ignoring a problem does NOT solve a problem.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99