Basic desktop help thread.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

I am starting this thread in hopes that it can be a resources where members can help other members and ask PC help desk type questions. I know just enough to be dangerous. ;) And I will help where I can plus I hope others will pledge to "man" the thread also and answer basic questions. Lets try to keep the thread to basic questions. For advanced help with very technical stuff please start a thread.

Example of a basic question would be. How do I block popups in Internet Explorer? Answer: there are a couple of ways to do this, you can get an antivirus or antispyware program or suite that will also block popup, you can download a browser toolbar (not recommended by me) that will block popups, OR you can use IE's built in popup blocker, which you will find under the settings cog in the upper right of IE, then the Internet Options, then Privacy Tab.

Rich C. (PKcable)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know just enough to be dangerous. ;)

I know enough things to steer readers into the danger zone. :winktongue:

Great thread idea, thanks much.

One thing that saves my bacon when I wander into that danger zone is SystemRescueCD. Every adventurous soul should have this on hand, IMHO. It is a live distro of Linux that boots up from CD and has basic tools and functionality. Make sure to set your computer to boot from CD as a priority (through BIOS) so that you can just pop it in and go when needed. SystemRescueCd This is a free and open software project.

Some great utilities are here: NirSoft - freeware utilities: password recovery, system utilities, desktop utilities Handy little items for odd tasks that will help analyze and diagnose. All free as well. I love slick little tools like these that don't install, just execute from the file location.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon