Microsoft office(Older versions) for Windows 10

Abhishek108

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Please share your experience and comments if you have installed Microsoft office older versions like 2000, xp etc on Windows 10 OS for your PCs and laptops

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is a hard line drawn at 2007. Before the file extensions were .doc/.xls/.ppt as examples. Starting with 2007 the extensions add a character (usually x), so .docx/.xlsx/.pptx for instance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Office_filename_extensions

If you have an older Office version you need a compatibility pack to open newer file types: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-of-Word-8FE47805-64A9-4CC5-A115-B148625FE043 You also may not be able to access all the features possible with newer versions and as time wears on the functionality within newer file extensions can expect to degrade more under older, deprecated versions of Office.

Thus it becomes a question of how much of your Office is for you and you alone.

The more you import from other sources and export to other users, the more you need to be at least at Office '07 and above. If your use is limited to yourself you could run older versions of Office and be fine.

FWIW, I'm on Windows 10 and I'm running Office 2010 on my laptop. For my tablet I'm on RT 8.1 and have Office 2013 I'm not quite ready to trade up but I'm getting close. I almost pulled the trigger on a Home and Student install of 2016. I still may before the year is out. Isn't it nice to be current? It keeps your content relevant across devices and for a majority of users who may have to interact with that content at some point.

sethyboy

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
2010 works fine for me. I haven't felt the need to upgrade to a newer one yet.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

OneWindows

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Well, if you are running the 32-bit version of Windows, you can run some really old 16-bit programs. I've successfully installed Office 4.0 on a Win10 32-bit virtual machine, but haven't used it for any real work.

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have 2007 on both my machines and it works perfectly. I bought an Enterprise license for Office Suite 2007 a few years ago when 2013 came out because I don't like what they've done with Outlook and Excel starting with 2010. This is one of those "pry my cold, dead fingers" deals.

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I've got office xp on my old laptop running windows 10 and it works just fine. Once you download the free compatibility pack you can open any office files new and old. There is nothing I've found in newer versions that makes me feel like I need to upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo