outlook.com contacts - photos through WP?

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a question to users of WP and outlook.com.

I'm ready to switch from gmail.com to outlook.com, when I switch to a Lumia 920.

Now, I've got my outlook.com account ready and set-up, not really using it yet though. I've noticed that in the web interface, you can't add photos to your contacts ("people" rather).

Here's the question:

If you sync people with your WP device, and you've added a pic on the phone, does it sync to the people hub in outlook.com??

Thanks in advance!

FreeFool

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a question to users of WP and outlook.com.

I'm ready to switch from gmail.com to outlook.com, when I switch to a Lumia 920.

Now, I've got my outlook.com account ready and set-up, not really using it yet though. I've noticed that in the web interface, you can't add photos to your contacts ("people" rather).

Here's the question:

If you sync people with your WP device, and you've added a pic on the phone, does it sync to the people hub in outlook.com??

Thanks in advance!
No, it doesn't. Its a shame but i think on the web it will only show that persons personal picture from their Messenger, Facebook, Twitter or any other linked account for them.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That's a shame. Using Gmail as an Exchange account on my N8, and any photos of people I add in my phone get synced to my Google contacts.

That's a functionality I do wish it had....

Small gripe, but not a deal breaker

Plazmic Flame

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this thread.... it's absolutely silly that you can't add your own contact photos from the web interface. Glad I didn't waste any time trying to enter in all my contacts. Guess WP will have to wait...

trinkner

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So really? I've set up an Outlook.com account, imported my contacts, and now can't set photos for my contacts. Really?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? All my contacts are represented by gray silhouette cartoons, with no option to set them to an actual photo. I've read on other boards that this limitation has existed on Outlook.com for six months or longer.

I'm seriously considering buying a Windows Phone, especially once Nokia debuts its WP equivalent to the 808 Pure View. So seriously, in fact, that I'm trying to migrate my email from Gmail to Outlook.com. But can't Microsoft get something this central to PIM management done correctly? Or am I mistaken in assuming that WP supports photos for contacts?

Or should I just stick with Gmail for my PIM, even though Google is soon ending its support for Exchange syncing?

This is leaving me feeling unsettled about Microsoft's commitment to the platform.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Pictures added to contacts in the phone are stored on Outlook but not displayed. If you reset your phone and sync your account, you will get the pictures again.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! :smile:

Xpider_MX is correct. Note that the People tab on Outlook.com does not (currently) allow you to upload contact photos directly, however it will quite happily store and display contact photos from other sources - phone, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
There is an odd gap in the sync/display logic at present - if I upload a picture to a contact in Outlook 2013 it's displayed on my phone but not (as yet) on Outlook.com. Because of this I think it's only a matter of time before the functionality becomes available on Outlook.com. (It wasn't possible on the old Live/Hotmail interface either)

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
What you can do however, is import your google contacts into Outlook, merge the contacts so to speak, and then delete the google contacts once merged. That's what I did and it works great albeit, a little time consuming.

raphaelfreeman

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
So I've migrated from gmail to outlook.com and I currently have an iPhone. In outlook 2010 the contacts don?t sync. Are you saying that if upgrade to outlook 2013 then I will see pictures in outlook 2013 and I will be able to add pictures in outlook 2013.

Jan Banan

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
What you can do however, is import your google contacts into Outlook, merge the contacts so to speak, and then delete the google contacts once merged. That's what I did and it works great albeit, a little time consuming.

Hi man, could you please explain how you did this exactly?
I tried to import my google contacts making another icon ''g'' appear in my people list, but this did not add the pictures on my phone unfortunately.
I am using Exchange activesync to sync contacts between outlook.com and my phone.
Thanks for helping!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss