Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Global Posts
    1,037 Global Posts
    Has anybody ditched Gmail for Outlook?
    rdubmu and brmiller1976 like this.

I have. I used to be an android lover before I switched, and now all I use is outlook. I also think the interface for the outlook website is gorgeous.

I've invested too much into gmail, and really like all I get out of it. I was worried when I switched to WP that I'd have to switch over, but honestly, everything's been working smoothly. I like the outlook interface, but not enough to get me to switch. No real issues though, so far

I have. It's a slow process though getting everything moved over, so I still need the gmail account around. I've got some aliases to help with the lessons learned from gmail.

I am very impressed with not getting any junk mail yet!!! I've had my outlook account since the day outlook.com was opened to the public. Nothing in the junk mail folder at all! On gmail, my junk mail would start filling up a few minutes after opening the account (nobody had it!), and to this day I still get a lot there. No idea how Microsoft did it.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Yes. I set Outlook up to pull remaining Gmails from my old account for those few people who haven't changed my address to my live.com account from two years ago.

Best move I ever made.

No longer is my private data being scraped and resold to advertisers. And Outlook.com is smooth, fast, and powerful. It also works much better with Windows Phone devices than Gmail.

I am currently using gmail because I have so much tied up into my gmail account at the moment. I have an live/outlook account as well that I am slowly migrating stuff over too.

I really would like to get away from Google's products considering all the data mining they do. I know no company is saintly but at the moment MS is the lesser of the two evils.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I made the switch with the wp8 phone. I guess I had been moving away from google for a while. Used the opportunity to move from @hotmail to @outlook though.

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I toyed with the idea when I got my Lumia 900 but didn't make the plunge until I got my Lumia 920. I haven't made a direct transition, though. I backed up my 10+ years old archive using MailStore Home, changed gmail to a forwarding address and then started using outlook.com for email. From a Windows Phone perspective, I see no difference really. Outlook is a better interface than gmail however. I hope for a return of "hotmail plus" so I can pay to remove ads.

What's the allowed space for an outlook email account? Is it possible to import several gigs of old email?
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    I did. I'm not really a big fan of Google so I was glad to change, and the interface on Outlook is better.
    cedarlog likes this.

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    i find that outlook still doesn't clear my gmail account properly. maybe only 30% of messages get through, and when i send email from outlook through my gmail it puts sent on behalf which i find unprofessional.
  11. cgk

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    No, mainly because as far as I can tell outlook does not offer appointment slots in the diary - that is of marginal interest to the rest of you but a real benefit to me.
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Don't you get the same features in hotmail as you get in outlook (domain)? You can get the outlook interface for your hotmail account, and it works with my windows phone. So why switch domains if it is just the name?

Global Posts
    32,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Don't you get the same features in hotmail as you get in outlook (domain)? You can get the outlook interface for your hotmail account, and it works with my windows phone. So why switch domains if it is just the name?
    That's why I never changed my account. I've had a hotmail account for eons.

I still mainly use Gmail, except for Microsoft stuff.

I never really liked gmail. My university uses it and I always thought it was ugly.
    cedarlog likes this.

Global Posts
    32,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam91 View Post
    I never really liked gmail. My university uses it and I always thought it was ugly.
    I never noticed any difference, but I don't use webmail. I've always used a mail client. I've had Outlook for many years, but now I'm trying Windows 8 Mail. I also use Evolution for Linux.

I switched to live mail when I got the 920. I am going to keep the email on live.com, but I may go back to gmail for the calendar. I can not find a decent free way to sync Outlook and live calendars. Google offers free software to sync, and it is a real shame that Google interfaces with Microsoft Outlook better than Microsoft.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Outlook.com and Hotmail/Live all support activesync...for free. Set up your email as though it is "Exchange" and it'll work perfectly.
    No matter what, they are both good (hotmail and outlook, not gmail). New user? Go for outlook. On hotmail and want to switch to outlook? Don't, it will just be stressful, while they are the same thing.
    snowmutt likes this.

I switched before the launch of windows phone 7. I've had my hotmail account for years and only created my Gmail account when I got a Palm Pre years ago. I abandoned the Pre for a few Android phones and hated the way Gmail would randomly move emails into folders and the whole "labels" thing. Switching back to hotmail was a breath of fresh air. Years of dormancy without much spam is impressive. My Gmail calendar works flawlessly in outlook (both online and the desktop app). The mail app in windows 8 is okay. I still prefer Outlook but it's growing on me. MS should make a real push to get old hotmail users to switch back. It is very efficient for me and functions much better than Gmail imo. The free office web apps is a huge selling point as well as the SkyDrive tie-in.

I made the switch recently upon getting my new phone. It works so smoothly with my desktop outlook and the WP8 system, that I am glad I made the switch. I had no real problem with the functionality of gmail, but I hated how hard it was to sync calendar and contacts between my desktop outlook and my android phone. In addition, Google's privacy issues had me very concerned. I did set up my gmail to forward to my outlook and I continue to use it for blog and podcast feeds which get sent to my phone via the next gen reader app. I would prefer to subscribe to them via outlook.com which would allow me to ditch gmail completely down the road, but I haven't found a good solution yet for that.

Bottom line, the switch is not really hard at all. You can even set up outlook.com to import your contacts and calendar from gmail.com, which makes it easier still.
    My smartphone history.

snowmutt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xImtc View Post
    Outlook.com and Hotmail/Live all support activesync...for free. Set up your email as though it is "Exchange" and it'll work perfectly.
    Is there a version I am not finding?
    Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 is the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile-powered devices. ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows-powered PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. Note: Microsoft ActiveSync works only with Windows XP SP2 or earlier.

One thing I always find funny is how some people act as if gmail is more legit and more professional than hotmail /live mail /outlook mail. They are all web-based email and the difference between them isn't much these days.

Global Posts
    32,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    One thing I always find funny is how some people act as if gmail is more legit and more professional than hotmail /live mail /outlook mail. They are all web-based email and the difference between them isn't much these days.
    The only reason I prefer Gmail is because it uses IMAP, not POP3. I run Linux in addition to Windows. Hotmail/Outlook only supports POP3 in the Evolution client; that is a deal-breaker for me.

Any other IMAP option other than Gmail would not be free.
    Also, there are issues with gmail on wp8. So I suggest outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by FredW3 View Post
    Is there a version I am not finding?
    Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 is the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile-powered devices. ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows-powered PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. Note: Microsoft ActiveSync works only with Windows XP SP2 or earlier.
    Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector overview - Outlook - Office.com

Try that. It works perfectly for me. I am running Windows 7 and WP8, and I use Outlook.com as my e-mail client. My wife is running the same thing, albeit the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and she uses hotmail.com as her e-mail client. It syncs our e-mail, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc. with zero issues to date. I find it far easier, once it is set up, then gmail, etc. on my android device ever was.
    My smartphone history.

john_v likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast