Nokia and Microsoft really f-ing blew it.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
oh yes, so they have an entirely different factory dedicated just for that different chipset? smh.

It is hard to tell you what's going on... Nokia is silent, so is AT&T... All we can do is speculate... I know you are pissed off, but I don't know else than "wait and see" we could suggest you...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
There is enough time for a late delivery... it's not the end of the world if Nokia don't sell as much Lumia 920 than Samsung's GSIII... There is still the HTC 8X and there will be a few Lumia 920 for sure...
Nokia should survive...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
but you know that's where they directed the majority of their stock.....what little of it they have. Hopefully they sent the rest to China cause they stand a chance of getting major market share there.

If, and I say if, Nokia sent a larger number of units to the US, it is probably because they have little to no market in the US. If I were introducing a product, I would certainly give thought to having stock available in the markets I want to penetrate.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
In order for Windows Phone to be the "third ecosystem," it needs to be easy and convenient to buy Windows Phone devices, across the range, across carriers.

They've solved the "only a few carriers" problem, but the 920 and 8X are in short supply, and if it's not there to be purchased when iPhones and Galaxy Ses are, they're not yet ready to be "the third ecosystem."

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about companies that botch launches and miscalculate demand.
This is Apple's modus operandi. When was the last time you heard anyone decry their doom because they sold out of a particular product? Never. Instead everyone points with awe on how high the demand is.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Nokia and Windows Phone cannot be successful players worldwide if they aren't successful in the USA. Deal with it, other countries. It's a plain fact. A majority of gross margin earned in smartphones worldwide is from US sales.

aznguyen316

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This is Apple's modus operandi. When was the last time you heard anyone decry their doom because they sold out of a particular product? Never. Instead everyone points with awe on how high the demand is.

But then again... didn't they sell 5 million in the US on launch weekend for the iP5 - and then they sold out...I think I remember reading that and it was below expectations? Where is the Lumia 920 at in terms of sales in the US? Then we can make a comparison.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow, the iFolk and Droids are on a rampage, aren't they?

Kinda lame. I don't go over to iPhone boards and make fun of a mid-80s touch UI, or rampage in Android-space about crashes and malware.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
But then again... didn't they sell 5 million in the US on launch weekend for the iP5 - and then they sold out...I think I remember reading that and it was below expectations? Where is the Lumia 920 at in terms of sales in the US? Then we can make a comparison.
That's not the point. Apple has a history of selling out their product, and yet despite the demand they never seem to have enough supply. It's odd. And yet, the press has been lambasting MS at every turn so it is kind of surprising that there is any demand for their products at all.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia and Windows Phone cannot be successful players worldwide if they aren't successful in the USA. Deal with it, other countries. It's a plain fact. A majority of gross margin earned in smartphones worldwide is from US sales.
I don't think anyone is downplaying the US's role in the smartphone market, but it is a little silly that one day in one country could spell the doom for a global company. That's like saying a 920 shortage in the UK on Boxing day will close Nokia's doors for good.

frnakie

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm American.
I have a L710 and I'm very happy with it and Nokia. I would like to upgrade to WP8 phone too but I have patience.
Oh, I also do not have a patriotic goatee.
:lol:

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Such doom and gloom.

If another device has shortages, it must be because of demand. Thus, it spells impending doom for WP.

If WP has shortages, it's because of an inability to compete, thus spelling impending doom.

Listen. There were AT&T stores that didn't even get these phones on launch day. And we aren't talking about small markets. The first store I went to had none. Another had four. FOUR. And this was just outside of Boston! I don't think what you are suggesting is happening at all. Launch day had abysmal stock, at least in my neck of the woods.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If Microsoft and Nokia report sales of 40 million Lumia 920s by the end of the year, the tech press (which fawns over Apple) will have headlines like "Windows Phone probably doomed: Nokia claims of 40 million handsets unverified by reliable second party and don't include information about returns; we ask Apple for clarification. Can Nokia and Microsoft afford 40 million returns?"

If Microsoft and Nokia report sales of 5 million Lumia 920s by the end of the year, the tech press (which fawns over Apple) will have headlines like "Windows Phone probably doomed: Record quarter looks pathetic next to Apple's innovation-driven sales."

If Microsoft and Nokia report that sales were "quite brisk and much better than expected," the tech press (which fawns over Apple) will have headlines like "Microsoft: Sales 'quite brisk' and not 'very brisk,' Windows Phone probably doomed."

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
And if every analyst in the world, plus Nokia, HTC and Microsoft, confirm sales of 100 million Windows Phones this quarter, the tech press (which fawns over Apple) will have headlines like "Windows Phone sales exceed generally low expectations, but still don't run leading iOS apps like iTunes."

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
And if every analyst in the world, plus Nokia, HTC and Microsoft, confirm sales of 100 million Windows Phones this quarter, the tech press (which fawns over Apple) will have headlines like "Windows Phone sales exceed generally low expectations, but still don't run leading iOS apps like iTunes."
unlikely...

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The point is that it honestly doesn't matter how many they sold -- the trolls and the pro-Apple press (largely the same thing!) will downplay it as "not enough" or "troubled."

It's the same problem Apple had in the mid to late 1990s. In 1996, when Apple had returned to positive cash flow and was starting to grow its share in the PC business again after years of decline, BusinessWeek ran a cover with an Apple logo on a black field and the title "Death of an American Icon."

It took Apple until, arguably, 2007 to banish the idea that its demise was "just around the corner."

Microsoft will have to go through a similar process, and that means that every success will still be spun as a failure, and every failure will be spun as "the end of the road for once-mighty Micro$oft."

death_eater

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Even here in Dubai they screwed the release of the most awaiting L920. They said it will be available on Nov. 15 then moved to Nov. 21 and now they are saying it will be available on Nov. 29. Maybe because of this, if the Nexus 4 will be released before them then I might stay with Android. As much as I love the hardware of Nokia with all their features but it's taking them forever.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Before we bury Nokia (again) and Microsoft as an entire company (again) could we at least wait until we see the sales figures?

Besides, isn't the 8X supposed to be the signature WP? There is no shortage of them. The 810/820/822 series is also available in most if not all markets. The casual buyer will certainly be interested in those neat looking devices. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon