Microsoft Sync system, Ford, and Windows Phones

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
So I was looking at a possible new car purchase and since I'm a Ford fan as well as a Microsoft fan and lover of my Windows Phone, I thought it would be a good match. Imagine my surprise when I went to the Ford Sync site, Ford SYNC | SYNC Support, Phone Compatibility, Updates, Manuals, Voice Guides, Instructions & More | Ford.com, to check phone compatibility and discovered that the Windows Phone is listed. Seriously? Microsoft's own car system isn't compatible with their own phone OS? What the **** is wrong here?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Siri is going to be installed in GM's cars(Buick, Chevrolet...) Honda, Dodge and Toyota. As long as you have an iPhone otherwise you don't get the benefits from having a car with such a system in it... And yet people say that Microsoft is in bad position... hey Microsoft offers service to consumer even if they don't have a windows phone... how kind is that!

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
If you buy a Ford with MyFordTouch + Sync you'll be fine. If you buy an older one with the 1st gen sync (no myfordtouch) it may have problems like Bluetooth disconnecting as Ford has been really bad about updating the first gen system.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The problem though is that you can only use A2DP. There's no Ford Sync app for WP like there is for other platforms, and I'm not sure if you can do voice control of the music on your phone (connected via USB); it might be possible in WP8 which allows it to be seen as mass storage, but definitely wasn't possible for WP7. It is kind of ridiculous that the Microsoft-based Sync system doesn't work as well with their phone platform as it does with other platforms though.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The problem though is that you can only use A2DP. There's no Ford Sync app for WP like there is for other platforms, and I'm not sure if you can do voice control of the music on your phone (connected via USB); it might be possible in WP8 which allows it to be seen as mass storage, but definitely wasn't possible for WP7. It is kind of ridiculous that the Microsoft-based Sync system doesn't work as well with their phone platform as it does with other platforms though.

Sadly, it's not possible to use WP8 as a USB device with sync (or any other car based audio system it seems). WP7 and sync always worked fine for me (albeit over Bluetooth only), WP8 so far has been fairly spotty, but that's primarily been related to the Bluetooth issues WP8 currently has.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I use my Trophy (WP7) with my 2012 Escape for phone calls and texts only. I use a thumb drive for my music. Works perfectly.

As long as phone and text work ok, I couldn't care less about the music side of it since high capacity thumbdrives are cheap and the Sync system seems to read them the fastest.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
My wife has a 2011 Ford Escape it was paired and worked well with her iphone 4 and now her iphone 5 and it is working just fine with my Lumia 900 Dont have a 920 (yet) so cant say how it would work but as long as I delete the sharing with the 900 I would expect it to work fin. She had to delete the 4 before the5 would work.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Sadly, it's not possible to use WP8 as a USB device with sync (or any other car based audio system it seems). WP7 and sync always worked fine for me (albeit over Bluetooth only), WP8 so far has been fairly spotty, but that's primarily been related to the Bluetooth issues WP8 currently has.

Actually, I mis-spoke here. It looks like with the latest Sync update I applied to my car, I can get USB sort of working, assuming I plug the phone in when it's unlocked.

Indexing is quite a bit slower than iOS devices, (it didn't finish indexing roughly 1500 songs in a 30 minute drive), and overall it's pretty flaky, but it's actually better than the bluetooth options.

Robholden

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
interesting that you got indexing to work... on mine it only ever found one song and then when browsing device it said there was nothing there.... not even the one song it was playing on repeat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786