Microsoft Surface Pro - Who is buying it (when it releases)?

Dray0n

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey all -

The first thing that got me really interested in Windows 8 and then WP8 was the Microsoft Surface Pro (RT is alright but I want the full out version). I personally plan on purchasing one at release. I will be (hopefully) ending the use of my MacBook Pro and iPad for the Surface Pro. I travel quite a bit and am currently bouncing between the iPad and MacBook while traveling. iPad is great for portability but obviously does not do a good job filling in for a computer. MacBook Pro is nice but I compete the the size and weight (also traveling with a company laptop).

I am looking forward to getting the Surface Pro. Anyone else holding out until the Pro's release?

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
That's the only reason I don't have a new laptop. I'm going to update my desktop to Windows 8. And get a surface to replace my laptop. Have you heard anything about a possible release date.

Dray0n

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just the general January release time. "Sometime after the first of the year."

It was finally confirmed today from Tami Reller (MS Chief Marketing Officer and CFO for Windows) that it will be available in January. It was pure speculation up until this point.

"Reller also noted that Microsoft’s Surface RT Pro would be available in January. Previously the company only stated that the computer would be available in early 2013."
Microsoft: 40 million Windows 8 licenses sold | PCWorld

Very excited.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I stood in line for a Surface and I must say it is an amazing piece of machinery. Even with RT it is so much more usable the iPad or playbook. Windows 8 is so fluid and easy to work with with touch and type together...they really have something special.

I too am waiting to upgrade my laptop and might just go for a Surface Pro with the type cover and a USB to Ethernet dongle and I don't think I need anything else. I'm big on HP products but their business Elitepad looks to be just an iPad copy. As boring as it sounds, the kickstand and touch keyboard totally make the experience...together.

It will take a while for the industry to realize it is touch and type together that makes Windows 8 really click. It really is a great, next generation operating system.

-m

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
If I can scrounge enough money, I'd like to get it. I guess it will depend on how pricing is, since I'm also considering the Asus Vivo Tab and the Lenovo ThinkPad tablet2.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Selling my iPad 3rd Generation and getting this around tax time! Way more useful for school and paired with my 8x, I'll be UNSTOPPABLE!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I might get a Surface Pro. I'll need to see its specs when it is available. I definitely want a Windows 8 x64 tablet, but which one is get is still TBD. I'll compare Surface Pro with the OEMs' offerings.

dbgman

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I am looking forward to seeing the surface pro(and pricing). To date the other pc manufacturers have not made anything that is ideal for me.

Recently, I went into best buy and frys electronics. They have old laptops that they upgraded to windows 8. Only one laptop had touch capability. Windows 8 is usable without touch but touch is what makes windows 8 awesome. Seems like the pc manufacturers are trying to get a rid of their old stuff before coming out with pcs that are designed for windows 8.

I want a i-series processor/12-15 inch tablet that I can either add a keyboard and a dock so I can use it on the road or connect to my office. Nothing is out there yet.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am looking forward to seeing the surface pro(and pricing). To date the other pc manufacturers have not made anything that is ideal for me.

Recently, I went into best buy and frys electronics. They have old laptops that they upgraded to windows 8. Only one laptop had touch capability. Windows 8 is usable without touch but touch is what makes windows 8 awesome. Seems like the pc manufacturers are trying to get a rid of their old stuff before coming out with pcs that are designed for windows 8.

I want a i-series processor/12-15 inch tablet that I can either add a keyboard and a dock so I can use it on the road or connect to my office. Nothing is out there yet.

Just released today Surface Pro starting at $899 (64Gig) $999 (128Gig)

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I will stand in line if they give out 1 year of free Xbox music like they did with RT. If not, I will get it after the first batch. I need to replace my Macbook Pro eventually.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Now that I've seen the specs, I probably won't get one. Only one USB port is a deal-breaker. I'll probably get a Lenovo Windows 8 ultrabook.

aalex

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Surface RT and then the Lumia 920. When the Pro comes out I will likely buy that or I might go with the Sony Duo 11.

Squadromeo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I would buy it if the battery lasted longer than the currently claimed "half the time of the Surface RT"

Somewhere between 6 and 7 hours is my lower limit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3