Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree15Likes
  1. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #1  
    So much for the "Windows 8 failed" schtick.

    I took great pleasure in rubbing this stat in some Apple fan friends' faces today.

    In one month, Microsoft sold more copies of Windows 8 than Apple sold Macintoshes in 2012 to date... plus all of 2011... and the last half of 2010.

    In one month, Microsoft sold more copies of Windows 8 than Apple sold of Macs, iPads and iPhones combined in Q3 of 2012.

    In one month, more Microsoft Windows 8 PCs were activated than Android phones.

    So much for the wishful thinking about "Microsoft failing in a post-Windows world."

    Now, let's watch for the halo effect on Windows Phone sales. It should be great!

    (The other interesting stat of the day -- Microsoft had 3x more downloads from the Windows 8 Store in just its first month than Apple has had from the Mac OS X store EVER.)
  2. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,818 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    #2  
    Link or I ain't believing it... and this is from a Windows 7, Windows 8 (x2), Xbox 360, and WP7 (soon to be WP8) user...

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  3. masterchief1984's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    199 Posts
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'm going to copy this and send it to my Apple fanboy friend. Thanks! 😰
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  4. mlm1950's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    480 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Link or I ain't believing it... and this is from a Windows 7, Windows 8 (x2), Xbox 360, and WP7 (soon to be WP8) user...
    One month of Windows 8 -- 40 million licenses. Forty! Million! Licenses!
  5. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Link or I ain't believing it... and this is from a Windows 7, Windows 8 (x2), Xbox 360, and WP7 (soon to be WP8) user...
    Bing it.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  6. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
    #7  
    I love how people go like "oh yeah and what about computers that are not sold yet, that's W8 licenses too!"

    You know what... when a company sells a product to a retailer, it counts as a sale. Apple does it, Google does it, RIM does it, they ALL do it, because otherwise it would be messy to count.

    and if a retailer get X number of devices it's because he needs X number of devices for its customers.

    People really find some ways around to push Microsoft down, but that giant is far from dead. They believe that OS X or Linux or WHATEVER will sell more than Windows 8... well this is unlikely...

    Windows 8 grows fast and people talk about it, bad or good, people talk about it that is what is going to make it successful... iOS is not acclaimed by everybody... some people hate it... but bad publicity is publicity anyway.
  7. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #8  
    Forty million license sales is BAD news for the "Apple and Google are replacing an irrelevant Microsoft" storyline. The press had already grabbed the "below expectations" card around W8 and turned it into a "Microsoft has failed" meme, and this is REALLY going to cause some pain. I expect to see lots of stories about "dissecting Microsoft's sales numbers" in future articles.

    There was already a silly article that claimed that W8 has failed because its penetration in PCs is "less than W7 in its first month." Absurd, of course, but they're grasping at straws. Anything to back up their old belief! ;)
  8. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Forty million license sales is BAD news for the "Apple and Google are replacing an irrelevant Microsoft" storyline. The press had already grabbed the "below expectations" card around W8 and turned it into a "Microsoft has failed" meme, and this is REALLY going to cause some pain. I expect to see lots of stories about "dissecting Microsoft's sales numbers" in future articles.

    There was already a silly article that claimed that W8 has failed because its penetration in PCs is "less than W7 in its first month." Absurd, of course, but they're grasping at straws. Anything to back up their old belief! ;)
    Software companies are different from Hardware companies... even if less PCs are sold, Microsoft can pack a substantial amount of sales anyway... But "pros" seem like they forgot how software companies work OR they are simply not honest enough to admit that they were wrong...
    In the end Microsoft will win once again, but I don't think it will get the respect it deserves by the end of this year...
  9. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
    #10  
    I love how people ask for specifications on Microsoft's number, but never for Apple and Google's products. Funny isn't it?
  10. MaulerX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    224 Posts
    #11  
    Seems like alot of websites will be eating crow for taking a rumor and report it in a way that lets the reader believe it's fact. 40 million licenses sold in one month is outpacing Windows 7. That's impressive. I'm just glad to be part of the largest tech ecosystem in the world.
  11. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,818 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    I love how people ask for specifications on Microsoft's number, but never for Apple and Google's products. Funny isn't it?
    Because I never read about unbelievably good sales on Google or Apple. I'm going to have fun shoving this in my potential girlfriends face though. She has iPhone iPad MacBook and iMac.

    I'm glad Windows 8 did really well though. Gives us hope for WP8! And I am getting that. Just choosing between the 8X, Ativ S, and Nokia Lumia 820. Probably gonna choose the Lumia though.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  12. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #13  
    That is indeed good news and some good stats. I've never been one for trolling the ipages but if there was ever an opportunity to do it I think its just presented itself. This may turn out to be an enjoyable afternoon.
  13. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
    #14  
    Apple fanboys don't even understand that when Microsoft says "We've sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses" it's exactly like "We sold 5 million iPhone 5" it does not say how many people have bought an iPhone... the only thing it says is that retailers and apple Stores collectively bought 5 million iPhone 5 that are for sale and sold for the most part... Exactly the same thing, but 2 different products...

    Their understanding of their beloved Apple is as poor as their understanding of Microsoft, but they love the former and hate the other one.
  14. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,274 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Because I never read about unbelievably good sales on Google or Apple. I'm going to have fun shoving this in my potential girlfriends face though. She has iPhone iPad MacBook and iMac.

    I'm glad Windows 8 did really well though. Gives us hope for WP8! And I am getting that. Just choosing between the 8X, Ativ S, and Nokia Lumia 820. Probably gonna choose the Lumia though.

    Haha. The way you put it, it sounded pretty funny. I can picture it.

    Potential Girlfriend: "I love Apple. I heard Windows 8 sales are sucking."

    Paladinleeds: "40 million licenses sold in one month! IN YOUR FACE!!! Hey, so how about you officially become my girlfriend?"
    Simon Tupper likes this.
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    Apple fanboys don't even understand that when Microsoft says "We've sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses" it's exactly like "We sold 5 million iPhone 5" it does not say how many people have bought an iPhone... the only thing it says is that retailers and apple Stores collectively bought 5 million iPhone 5 that are for sale and sold for the most part... Exactly the same thing, but 2 different products...

    Their understanding of their beloved Apple is as poor as their understanding of Microsoft, but they love the former and hate the other one.
    Exactly. Yet for some reason every tech blog is questioning the statement from Microsoft yet, as always, Apple and Google get free passes. I just don't get it.
  16. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,374 Posts
    #17  
    It would not surprise me if that number does not include new hardware. The 40M could easily be from OS upgrades alone. I upgraded two machines myself. Whats not mentioned is they hit 40M with virtually zero enterprise / business adoption. Its all from average consumers.

    Pardon me while I go add some more MSFT shares to my IRA.....
  17. WP7_Genius's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    #18  
    Hooray for Lumia 920 :)
  18. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #19  
    The reason the tech blogs are questioning the sales is because it doesn't fit in with the "reality" in their bubbles, where everyone uses an iPhone and MacBook Air (or Google stuff "to be edgy and different.") Tech bloggers assume the rest of the world is exactly like San Francisco, Manhattan or London.
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    #20  
    Who cares? Are you guys all shareholders? I never understand the corporate fistpumping that occurs on behalf of faceless corporations that couldn't give a **** about any of you - it's very very odd regardless of if it is apple, google, facebook or Mcdonalds.
    fifthGear and lolpetewtf like this.
  20. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Who cares? Are you guys all shareholders? I never understand the corporate fistpumping that occurs on behalf of faceless corporations that couldn't give a **** about any of you - it's very very odd regardless of if it is apple, google, facebook or Mcdonalds.
    Example: You buy a TV made by Samsung. You think it's freaking, and sales are good and overall customer satisfaction is high. Then you friend who visit your house say "Oh yeah Samsung TVs they suck big time, they are cheap as ****, you should by a LG."

    Are you going to say "Yeah Samsung might not be so good after all." ?
    OR
    "Well according to the sales, the consumers' satisfaction and my personal experience it's a good TV." ?
  21. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    Example: You buy a TV made by Samsung. You think it's freaking, and sales are good and overall customer satisfaction is high. Then you friend who visit your house say "Oh yeah Samsung TVs they suck big time, they are cheap as ****, you should by a LG."

    Are you going to say "Yeah Samsung might not be so good after all." ?
    OR
    "Well according to the sales, the consumers' satisfaction and my personal experience it's a good TV." ?
    Personal preference for a device is fine - otherwise what would we be talking about? That is a world away from cheer-leading for faceless corporations or taking 'great pleasure' because they have sold X units more or less than the competition.

    Anyway my actual answer would be a 'shrug' and I'd wonder why my friend was so insecure he was that concerned about my Samsung TV.
    fifthGear likes this.
  22. lolpetewtf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Who cares? Are you guys all shareholders? I never understand the corporate fistpumping that occurs on behalf of faceless corporations that couldn't give a **** about any of you - it's very very odd regardless of if it is apple, google, facebook or Mcdonalds.

    Finally someone makes sense.
    Blackjack 2 - Epix - Focus - Lumia 900
    fifthGear likes this.
  23. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,274 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Who cares? Are you guys all shareholders? I never understand the corporate fistpumping that occurs on behalf of faceless corporations that couldn't give a **** about any of you - it's very very odd regardless of if it is apple, google, facebook or Mcdonalds.
    I care.

    The more success it has, the more developers will create software for it. The more developers that create software for it, the more developers that will create simple WP ports.

    Do I really care if MS beats Apple or Android? Not really. But I do care that their ecosystem sells enough to be strong and have a lot of support.
    retyler likes this.
  24. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #25  
    Yeah, Windows users shouldn't care about platform sales. I mean, RIM sales are way down and that hasn't had any effect on their users, right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thurrott and evolution of Windows Phone
    By Pronk in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-13-2011, 05:31 AM
  2. Strange quirks of windows phone 7
    By kenshinesca in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 07:58 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
  4. List of Windows Phone 7 apps that are "OFFICIAL".
    By SEKKDS in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 07:56 PM
  5. way too much drama in the land of windows phone?
    By canesfan625 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions