One month of Windows 8 -- 40 million licenses. Forty! Million! Licenses!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So much for the "Windows 8 failed" schtick.

I took great pleasure in rubbing this stat in some Apple fan friends' faces today.

In one month, Microsoft sold more copies of Windows 8 than Apple sold Macintoshes in 2012 to date... plus all of 2011... and the last half of 2010.

In one month, Microsoft sold more copies of Windows 8 than Apple sold of Macs, iPads and iPhones combined in Q3 of 2012.

In one month, more Microsoft Windows 8 PCs were activated than Android phones.

So much for the wishful thinking about "Microsoft failing in a post-Windows world."

Now, let's watch for the halo effect on Windows Phone sales. It should be great!

(The other interesting stat of the day -- Microsoft had 3x more downloads from the Windows 8 Store in just its first month than Apple has had from the Mac OS X store EVER.)

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I love how people go like "oh yeah and what about computers that are not sold yet, that's W8 licenses too!"

You know what... when a company sells a product to a retailer, it counts as a sale. Apple does it, Google does it, RIM does it, they ALL do it, because otherwise it would be messy to count.

and if a retailer get X number of devices it's because he needs X number of devices for its customers.

People really find some ways around to push Microsoft down, but that giant is far from dead. They believe that OS X or Linux or WHATEVER will sell more than Windows 8... well this is unlikely...

Windows 8 grows fast and people talk about it, bad or good, people talk about it that is what is going to make it successful... iOS is not acclaimed by everybody... some people hate it... but bad publicity is publicity anyway.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Forty million license sales is BAD news for the "Apple and Google are replacing an irrelevant Microsoft" storyline. The press had already grabbed the "below expectations" card around W8 and turned it into a "Microsoft has failed" meme, and this is REALLY going to cause some pain. I expect to see lots of stories about "dissecting Microsoft's sales numbers" in future articles.

There was already a silly article that claimed that W8 has failed because its penetration in PCs is "less than W7 in its first month." Absurd, of course, but they're grasping at straws. Anything to back up their old belief! ;)

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Forty million license sales is BAD news for the "Apple and Google are replacing an irrelevant Microsoft" storyline. The press had already grabbed the "below expectations" card around W8 and turned it into a "Microsoft has failed" meme, and this is REALLY going to cause some pain. I expect to see lots of stories about "dissecting Microsoft's sales numbers" in future articles.

There was already a silly article that claimed that W8 has failed because its penetration in PCs is "less than W7 in its first month." Absurd, of course, but they're grasping at straws. Anything to back up their old belief! ;)

Software companies are different from Hardware companies... even if less PCs are sold, Microsoft can pack a substantial amount of sales anyway... But "pros" seem like they forgot how software companies work OR they are simply not honest enough to admit that they were wrong...
In the end Microsoft will win once again, but I don't think it will get the respect it deserves by the end of this year...

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Seems like alot of websites will be eating crow for taking a rumor and report it in a way that lets the reader believe it's fact. 40 million licenses sold in one month is outpacing Windows 7. That's impressive. I'm just glad to be part of the largest tech ecosystem in the world.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I love how people ask for specifications on Microsoft's number, but never for Apple and Google's products. Funny isn't it?

Because I never read about unbelievably good sales on Google or Apple. I'm going to have fun shoving this in my potential girlfriends face though. She has iPhone iPad MacBook and iMac.

I'm glad Windows 8 did really well though. Gives us hope for WP8! And I am getting that. Just choosing between the 8X, Ativ S, and Nokia Lumia 820. Probably gonna choose the Lumia though.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That is indeed good news and some good stats. I've never been one for trolling the ipages but if there was ever an opportunity to do it I think its just presented itself. This may turn out to be an enjoyable afternoon.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Apple fanboys don't even understand that when Microsoft says "We've sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses" it's exactly like "We sold 5 million iPhone 5" it does not say how many people have bought an iPhone... the only thing it says is that retailers and apple Stores collectively bought 5 million iPhone 5 that are for sale and sold for the most part... Exactly the same thing, but 2 different products...

Their understanding of their beloved Apple is as poor as their understanding of Microsoft, but they love the former and hate the other one.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Because I never read about unbelievably good sales on Google or Apple. I'm going to have fun shoving this in my potential girlfriends face though. She has iPhone iPad MacBook and iMac.

I'm glad Windows 8 did really well though. Gives us hope for WP8! And I am getting that. Just choosing between the 8X, Ativ S, and Nokia Lumia 820. Probably gonna choose the Lumia though.

Haha. The way you put it, it sounded pretty funny. I can picture it.

Potential Girlfriend: "I love Apple. I heard Windows 8 sales are sucking."

Paladinleeds: "40 million licenses sold in one month! IN YOUR FACE!!! Hey, so how about you officially become my girlfriend?"

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Apple fanboys don't even understand that when Microsoft says "We've sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses" it's exactly like "We sold 5 million iPhone 5" it does not say how many people have bought an iPhone... the only thing it says is that retailers and apple Stores collectively bought 5 million iPhone 5 that are for sale and sold for the most part... Exactly the same thing, but 2 different products...

Their understanding of their beloved Apple is as poor as their understanding of Microsoft, but they love the former and hate the other one.

Exactly. Yet for some reason every tech blog is questioning the statement from Microsoft yet, as always, Apple and Google get free passes. I just don't get it.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
It would not surprise me if that number does not include new hardware. The 40M could easily be from OS upgrades alone. I upgraded two machines myself. Whats not mentioned is they hit 40M with virtually zero enterprise / business adoption. Its all from average consumers.

Pardon me while I go add some more MSFT shares to my IRA.....

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The reason the tech blogs are questioning the sales is because it doesn't fit in with the "reality" in their bubbles, where everyone uses an iPhone and MacBook Air (or Google stuff "to be edgy and different.") Tech bloggers assume the rest of the world is exactly like San Francisco, Manhattan or London.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Who cares? Are you guys all shareholders? I never understand the corporate fistpumping that occurs on behalf of faceless corporations that couldn't give a **** about any of you - it's very very odd regardless of if it is apple, google, facebook or Mcdonalds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills