Sometimes I love The Verge and its article on Microsoft

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The five dumbest things people say about Microsoft and its products - The Verge

Wow. I say that a lot lately about some of the comments I read from people in the tech industry from incredibly idiotic decisions companies make (including MS) to the journalists who cover them to the comments I see on the articles those journalists write. And it isn't the good type of wow. It isn't the type of wow with cow people, elves, and cool undead monsters. Its more like "WOW thats dumb". But really there are always 5 dumb things floating around the industry about the company in Redmond, Microsoft.
Here's 5 stupid things that are CURRENTLY being said about MS and its products:

5. Microsoft Office Isn't That Important
You've heard this before. Plenty of people think Google Docs or Open Office (lol) is a viable alternative. The thing is they really aren't. Compatibility and features are what makes Office. Not learning new software is what makes Office. It being the standard makes Office. Yes technology journalists collaborating on Google Docs is awesome and I do it too sometimes but for most people they need and want Office.

4. Windows Tablets Haven't Worked In The Past
Anyone making this argument should take a long look in the mirror. Yesterday isn't today. The reasons tablet failed before was because of weight, a touch interface, battery life, thinness, and software. Before Windows 8 none of those things were there. Now we have all of those things. Totally different places.

3. Surface Pro Pricing/Battery Life/"Its A Netbooook"
1080p touchscreen with active digitizer. Core i5. HDMI out. USB 3.0. 64/128 GB .4 GB RAM. First what ultrabook has those specs at the price of 1000/1100 dollars? Not the MacBook Air. Possibly 100 dollars less if you have your own keyboard. Netbooks don't have top tier specs.
Far more importantly people are saying that the Surface will have 4 hours of battery life. That's not what the Surface team said. They said it would have the battery life of the Surface RT. The Verge said this about Surface RT:
"Battery life, on the other hand, was consistent and impressive on the Surface. Microsoft claims that users can nab somewhere in the vicinity of eight hours on a single charge in mixed use. My experience bore those numbers out, and then some. I was able to put the Surface through a full day of relatively heavy use (video playback and streaming, document editing, lots of web browsing, app downloads, game playing, email, Twitter, and more) and still had some charge left that evening... and into the next morning, without having plugged it in overnight. Battery life on the Surface seemed more akin to an iPad than a laptop — which makes sense given the ARM architecture. In the same way I never worry about whether I've charged the iPad recently, I found myself carelessly leaving the Surface off of the charger for extended periods. And I think that's a good thing."
In what way does half of over a day of heavy use sound like 4 hours?

2. Windows Phone Isn't Any Good Because It Doesn't Have Hundreds of Thousands of Apps
I'm going to say something and I know its crazy to a lot of people. But I'm going to say it anyway. Not everyone cares so much about apps. Not everyone plays games on their phone or cares that they get the latest games. I personally don't. And there quite a few people like me. They just want a phone that works well and does what they need it to do. And yeah sure if you're a doctor and you just need an app thats on iOS that doesn't exist on any other platform thats ok. But most people aren't like that.

1. Microsoft is Dying or Will Soon Be No Longer Relevant In Consumer Products
40 Million Windows 8 Licenses. 750,000 Xboxs Sold (more than the Wii U and the PS3). 4 times as many Windows Phones Sold This Year (the 920 is pretty much sold out everywhere and everyone keeps saying how well its doing). And most of the hardware to sell Windows 8 isn't even here yet. Is Microsoft at the top of everyone's list? No. Have they made some mistakes? **** yes. But it definitely isn't doing poorly and isn't anywhere close to dying.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been giving a lot of thought on the articles written about Microsoft lately, and it seems that they are always held to a higher standard than anyone else is. Not because writers expect the highest quality from them, but anything short of perfection is seen as an abject failure. WP is a fresh new and innovative take on a mobile operating system, but has no apps so it's doomed to die. The Surface has some amazing features, but since it's an arm powered device, it's seen as slow, buggy and doomed to die. Meanwhile, a rewarmed version of an existing tablet is released by someone else and it gets buried by accolades because they made it smaller.

The only way MSFT would have a hit on their hands is if the hardware was twice as fast out of the box with same polish as 5th generation products, twice the choices in the software , and at half the price.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft knew it would be fighting an uphill battle right from the get go. They are already seen as the "evil empire" and many would love to see them fail from the tech world - the writing indicates that.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
God I totally agree with op on this. It's not only on the verge. I got so disgusted with toms hardware that I stopped reading anything related to w8. People don't realize that desktops and laptops are in their twilight years. Personally I love w8 on my computers - particularly the start screen. People resist change and they won't be happy with anything but XP.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
God I totally agree with op on this. It's not only on the verge. I got so disgusted with toms hardware that I stopped reading anything related to w8. People don't realize that desktops and laptops are in their twilight years. Personally I love w8 on my computers - particularly the start screen. People resist change and they won't be happy with anything but XP.
I liked Tom's Hardware when it actually was about hardware. Lately, most of the articles are about apps, browsers, mobile OSes: anything but hardware.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I guess Microsoft is going through that same phase that Apple went through... Anything Apple made was rejected, until people saw that the product was good and underestimated...

At the moment people are s***ing Android's(Linux) and Apple's balls... So we might have another 2-3 years of "Microsoft suck!" until people realize that Microsoft is still a big player...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I liked Tom's Hardware when it actually was about hardware. Lately, most of the articles are about apps, browsers, mobile OSes: anything but hardware.

Well it's about all that BUT when you talk about W8 sales then they compare it to iOS or some stupid comparison...

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Too much iOS dope being smoked at the Verge... We all know what happens to PC, notebook and netbook prices... They fall fast in one year. I say, by mid 2013 you will get a Surface Pro Tablet 4Gb and 256Gb of storage with 4G/LTE for the same price than what a iPad4 with 64Gb and 4G costs today... Probably about the same size and weight to. So which one will people buy... The one with 790'000 aps or the one with over 2 million... Including 'Panzer General' on DosBox, Angry Birds as Windows app and real MS Office. Maybe Silent Hunter to... LOL

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
A lot of these tech blogs got to where they are by giving Steve Jobs' golden rod, a hummer. It's a tough pill for them to swallow (pardon the pun) the idea that MS can actually compete with their competitors when they want to, let alone, beat them at their own game (design, ease of use).

Last edited:

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I've given up on The Verge after their article on "Surprisingly, touch screen laptops don't suck". Even though you would think this was about Windows 8 (and it should be), it's mostly about how Apple is probably going to do touchscreen laptops soon and how good they would be.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've given up on The Verge after their article on "Surprisingly, touch screen laptops don't suck". Even though you would think this was about Windows 8 (and it should be), it's mostly about how Apple is probably going to do touchscreen laptops soon and how good they would be.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Was reading that and just kept thinking, is there a bigger lovefest with Apple than The Verge? Seriously though, what will happen, is W8 will get touchscreen laptops and the interaction mainstream, then, in will swoop Apple claiming like magic, they've invented a new way to interact with PC's and call it "Magic Touch" or some other bs term (Retina Display, LOL). It's just what Apple does.

Again, just remember that most Tech blogs are written with Macbooks. :wink:

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
LoL I work for Apple, but I one hundred percent agree with the OP. This new face of Microsoft (WP8-W8) has turned me, and several family members back into believers.

I'm all about it!

But I read on all the hate Microsoft gets, and the absolute unconditional love Mac and Apple products have garnered... Makes me want to go for the underdog (like when I adopted iPhone). 😏

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft bought themselves another decade in the Enterprise with Win 8, Touch, Gesture, Voice, and Devices. They own the leading VOIP application in Skype which is slowly replacing phone PBX systems with Lync Communications Server That does for VOIP and Messaging (text, voice, and video) what Exchange does for email. Businesses that need to retain records for Federal compliance love this stuff. Then there's the the entry into Cloud subscription services.

Give Apple credit: Siri and voice interaction is the future. It's perfect for Autos and Smart TVs and users who are tech challenged. It may not be ready for Prime Time but its the cutting edge. The company that delivers accurate voice interaction first will win the consumer wars and the automaker contracts and the Smart TV contracts. Voice today is where MP3s were at 10 years ago. iTunes store celebrates 10 years in April and I expect voice interaction will be as important to the landscape. 2020 will be a much different world when I can buy my 65"" Surface Television Monitor with Win RT built in and use it to talk to my car and tell it to warm up :).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft bought themselves another decade in the Enterprise with Win 8, Touch, Gesture, Voice, and Devices. They own the leading VOIP application in Skype which is slowly replacing phone PBX systems with Lync Communications Server That does for VOIP and Messaging (text, voice, and video) what Exchange does for email. Businesses that need to retain records for Federal compliance love this stuff. Then there's the the entry into Cloud subscription services.

Give Apple credit: Siri and voice interaction is the future. It's perfect for Autos and Smart TVs and users who are tech challenged. It may not be ready for Prime Time but its the cutting edge. The company that delivers accurate voice interaction first will win the consumer wars and the automaker contracts and the Smart TV contracts. Voice today is where MP3s were at 10 years ago. iTunes store celebrates 10 years in April and I expect voice interaction will be as important to the landscape. 2020 will be a much different world when I can buy my 65"" Surface Television Monitor with Win RT built in and use it to talk to my car and tell it to warm up :).

Have you seen this? It looks amazing.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Could be worse. Could be TechCrunch. ;)

I did have a laugh when, prior to the release of Apple Maps, all the tech blogs talked about how Apple was going to "kill" other mapping apps... because they're Apple, of course!

Then, the final product was so awful that after a day or two of superficially defending it and claiming concerns were "overblown," they had to concede that it blows chunks. :)

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
MG Seigler's "Surface in a garbage can" photo review was the height of "blog trolling."

I know several people in the "tech blog community." I was delighted when SF Weekly blew apart that whole little clique with an article hammering them for their "tech blogger circle jerk." A bit crude, but very true... and Kara Swisher totally loved it. :)

Here's the article:

Are People Finally Getting Bored with the Tech-Blog Circle Jerk? - San Francisco - News - The Snitch

That idiot wrote that sickingly gushing article about the iPhone 5 and was quickly torn to pieces over it. Say what you will about other blogger's bias - this guy is on a whole other plane...