Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 228
Like Tree61Likes
  1. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but you do realize that Google has to pay licensing fees for EAS to Microsoft, right? Their competitor? It makes absolutely sense that they will not want to support a protocol of a competitor that they also have to pay for. It's a very simple business decision, I don't understand what the big fuss is about...
    Steve, I certainly don't deny any licensing or google's option not to pay it. Though they will continue for paying google customers. I was mainly rebutting the part that MS was telling him to screw off when it's google that's making the call.
  2. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Actually, it's google telling you to go screw because you want to use their services on a MS phone. They are the ones refusing to make apps and stopping EAS, not the other way around. If it means that much and you are this unhappy, android is obviously better and less stressful and less argumentative for you.
    My God, how quickly people are willing to forget.

    Back in the day, Internet Explorer owned the browser. Microsoft told web developers to code for IE or their sites wouldn't work for 95% of Internet users. They had the market share, they had the users and they fought every challenge to their dominance until they thought they couldn't lose.

    Now, Microsoft wants market share and users that someone else has. They want people like me to abandon what I have in favor of the same exact product that they offered when I had my Dell Axiom back in the day.

    That's not good enough any more. Needs change. People change. I used to have to have over 1,200 contacts because that was the only way that it could be done. Now I have the same contacts, but consolidated down to just under 400.

    Times change. People change. Products and services improve. Microsoft can improve, or Microsoft will continue to struggle for every inch of market share that they can gain.
  3. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    #103  
    Have a pleasant wpcentral day!
  4. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowrand View Post
    Since Google Contacts was never available outside of a Google account, I can only assume that you're stirring YouTube into the pot as well.

    That change happened 2 years or more after Google bought YouTube. Given that MS has owned Skype for just a little over a year it would likely be wise to wait and see what they do with it. At $8.5 billion, MS will do what they have to do to try to make that investment pay off.
    Sure, but given how Microsoft has handled the Xbox brand, I don't see any evidence to suggest they'll hold Skype and it's users hostage.

    Aside from that, you're insinuating that Microsoft's history is as pure as the driven snow. We both know that is as far from the truth as you can get.
    Microsoft have never claimed to have a halo over their HQ, unlike Google with their "Don't be evil" motto. Further more, speaking from personal experience, Microsoft have never imposed themselves on me in such a way (compared to the Youtube scenario). Neither have they hacked my web browser and stolen my privacy data.

    Two wrongs don't make a right and Microsoft's past doesn't justify Google's behavior today.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
    a5cent likes this.
  5. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    Microsoft have never claimed to have a halo over their HQ
    You sure about that?

    mshalo.jpg
  6. imem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    You sure about that?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mshalo.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	25578
    Haha cool

    Skickat frn min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2
  7. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    You sure about that?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mshalo.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	25578
    Ha!! Now that could look pretty cool.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
    HeyCori likes this.
  8. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    unlike Google with their "Don't be evil" motto.
    You don't even know what that means.
  9. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #109  
    Everyone knows what "Don't be evil" means. It means "feed our silly fanboys a line about how wonderful we are, while we read all their e-mails and track their movements with Google Now in an operation that would make the Stasi blush with shame, selling that deeply private data to advertisers, all while convincing said fanboys that we give them free services because we're just so nice and cool and stuff." :)
    Thanked by:
    a5cent likes this.
  10. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #110  
    Oops, and I almost forgot the other half:

    "Whenever we're caught red-handed doing outrageous privacy violations that should probably be illegal, point to our motto as proof that our motives are pure, even though we've been caught flagrantly violating user rights."
    Thanked by:
  11. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowrand View Post
    You don't even know what that means.
    It obviously has nothing to do with portraying morality to the consumer. Forgive my stupidity.

    Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express
    Last edited by Big Supes; 12-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  12. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    996 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowrand View Post
    You don't even know what that means.
    Well, what does it mean then?
    My next phone...
  13. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #113  
    I'm gonna leave you guys to your hatred. Google, me or whatever else you find so distasteful.

    Its been fun, but arguing on the Internet is stupid, and I used to know better than to wade into a fanboy pissing match.

    Enjoy yourselves.
  14. Lumis90's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #114  
    Well Microsoft shouldn't create MS Office for them then...still hackers will hack it and no money for Microsoft.
  15. imem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowrand View Post
    I'm gonna leave you guys to your hatred. Google, me or whatever else you find so distasteful.

    Its been fun, but arguing on the Internet is stupid, and I used to know better than to wade into a fanboy pissing match.

    Enjoy yourselves.
    I feel with you on this.
    Not fun when arguments go bad I'm no fanboy but I don't like what Google are doing they forgotten where they came from

    What we can do is us other sites that demonstrate what we think but what impact will it have (in short nothing)
    BTW there is no company out there that is totally clean including MS .

    Skickat frn min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2
  16. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #116  
    In other words, you're really, really mad that we haven't drunk the Google Kool Aid.

    Before you go, you might want to make sure your WiFi is properly locked down, especially if you live in a major metro area. That awesome, totally non-evil Google has been hacking into people's home networks and downloading the contents:

    Google Engineer Knew About Street View WiFi Data Scoop: FCC Report

    I guess that deliberately hacking into private networks, scraping e-mail and password data, archiving it, and then reselling it isn't "evil."

    Yeah, this is a company to trust with all of your most personal information. I mean, just look at their motto, d00d!
  17. imem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    In other words, you're really, really mad that we haven't drunk the Google Kool Aid.

    Before you go, you might want to make sure your WiFi is properly locked down, especially if you live in a major metro area. That awesome, totally non-evil Google has been hacking into people's home networks and downloading the contents:

    Google Engineer Knew About Street View WiFi Data Scoop: FCC Report

    I guess that deliberately hacking into private networks, scraping e-mail and password data, archiving it, and then reselling it isn't "evil."

    Yeah, this is a company to trust with all of your most personal information. I mean, just look at their motto, d00d!
    And what is your point (maybe it's that my native language is not English ) you lost me there.

    Skickat frn min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by imem; 12-27-2012 at 04:55 PM.
  18. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    In other words, you're really, really mad that we haven't drunk the Google Kool Aid.

    Before you go, you might want to make sure your WiFi is properly locked down, especially if you live in a major metro area. That awesome, totally non-evil Google has been hacking into people's home networks and downloading the contents:

    Google Engineer Knew About Street View WiFi Data Scoop: FCC Report

    I guess that deliberately hacking into private networks, scraping e-mail and password data, archiving it, and then reselling it isn't "evil."

    Yeah, this is a company to trust with all of your most personal information. I mean, just look at their motto, d00d!
    WOW. Just. Wow.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  19. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I guess that deliberately hacking into private networks, scraping e-mail and password data, archiving it, and then reselling it isn't "evil."
    I don't care what you drink, it's tough to debate someone that intentionally makes up the facts to suit their own needs.

    Take this paragraph from your posts: two factual inaccuracies that I'm sure you'll be happy to use again and again.

    1. Google didn't hack into anyone's network. If your WiFi network is open, you're blasting your data as far as your signal will carry. No hacking required.

    2. Provide one credible bit of evidence that Google resold the data. Don't come back with "they used it to target ads", because that's not selling the data.
  20. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by imem View Post
    And what is your point (maybe it's that my native language is not English ) you lost me there.
    Read the story. Google's StreetView trucks were hacking into private WiFi networks and scraping/downloading all the data they could from them, including usernames, passwords, and files that weren't properly protected. They were then associating those WiFi profiles with individual addresses, so they could identify the usernames and passwords and associate them with individual people.

    Someone should have gone to prison for this, and Google should have been fined BIG TIME. They weren't.

    But such activity is unquestionably "evil," regardless of a cute tagline.

    Oh, there I go again, unfairly bashing Google. We should all be happy they're doing us the public service of hacking into our home networks and archiving data for us. It's pre-emptive backup!
  21. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowrand View Post
    1. Google didn't hack into anyone's network. If your WiFi network is open, you're blasting your data as far as your signal will carry. No hacking required.
    In the United States, if my neighbor has an open WiFi network, and I don't get his permission to access it, I have committed a federal and state crime by logging on -- even to access the Internet.

    Your argument is akin to stating that Google should have the right to go into my apartment and rifle through my belongings, because I left my door unlocked. Sure, leaving the door unlocked is stupid, but Google's still a criminal trespasser.

    Provide one credible bit of evidence that Google resold the data. Don't come back with "they used it to target ads", because that's not selling the data.
    Sure it is. Targeted ads using illicit data is renting the data to advertisers. Further, read the FCC's report.

    And seriously, if Google was executing puppies, you'd be saying "it's not execution, it's puppy-reduction." If you're okay with Google's lack of ethics and need to know EVERYTHING about you, that's great. Many of us want to see their criminal activity halted and their privacy invasion curtailed.
  22. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    In the United States, if my neighbor has an open WiFi network, and I don't get his permission to access it, I have committed a federal and state crime by logging on -- even to access the Internet.

    Your argument is akin to stating that Google should have the right to go into my apartment and rifle through my belongings, because I left my door unlocked. Sure, leaving the door unlocked is stupid, but Google's still a criminal trespasser.
    My argument is simply this: Google didn't "hack into" anyone's network. If you log on to your neighbors network you didn't "hack in", you stole his bandwidth.

    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Sure it is. Targeted ads using illicit data is renting the data to advertisers. Further, read the FCC's report.
    First you said they sold the data, now you say they rented it. Microsoft uses the same type of interest based (targeted) ads. Where's the outrage?

    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    seriously, if Google was executing puppies, you'd be saying "it's not execution, it's puppy-reduction." If you're okay with Google's lack of ethics and need to know EVERYTHING about you, that's great. Many of us want to see their criminal activity halted and their privacy invasion curtailed.
    You've come under the impression that I'm excusing Google's actions. I'm not. I'm calling bull**** on some of your statements.

    Now, this time I'm being serious. I'm done with this. Carry on with your rage, it's funny to think that you're this worked up about all of this stuff.
  23. fusioncept's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #123  
    I just want Microsoft to let WP8 support CalDAV and CardDAV and I'll be satisfied.

    --
    Favorite Phone: Nokia Lumia
    Favorite Portable: Asus Transformer
    Thanked by:
  24. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
       #124  
    Actually, yes, if you access a private network system without the network owner's permission, you hacked in.

    Just like if you entered a neighbor's house through an open window, you broke in, even though you didn't "break the lock."

    Sorry.

    The ethical implications of illicitly collecting private data via improperly-secured WiFi is obvious, and it disappoints me that people are attempting to defend such patently unethical activity.
    Thanked by:
    Jastow 
  25. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #125  
    Screw it, I guess I just have to stay in this conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Actually, yes, if you access a private network system without the network owner's permission, you hacked in.
    Well, actually, no. The FCC determined that these were unsecured networks broadcasting openly to the neighborhood on public frequencies. The FCC determined that it didn't violate wire tapping. It was in the report.

    Again, not a hack.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Just like if you entered a neighbor's house through an open window, you broke in, even though you didn't "break the lock."
    If you did this in my neighborhood it isn't breaking and entering, its unlawful entry. A felony is a felony, but breaking and entry is a more severe one.

    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    it disappoints me that people are attempting to defend such patently unethical activity.
    Who defended them? I'm picking on the words that you used. That's not a defense of Google.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM
  2. Microsoft finally sues Google directly for patent infringement
    By 12Danny123 in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 02:14 PM
  3. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 10:47 PM
  4. I think Google just cleared the way for Windows Surface with Nexus 7
    By ninjaap in forum General Tablet Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
  5. Microsoft says they're in it for the (very) long haul
    By HeyCori in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Posting Permissions