MS: Stop telling me when to turn off my screen!!!

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This absolutely annoys me. Both my 920 and SurfaceRT do not have an option to prevent screen timeout/lock. So if Im sitting at home streaming music from my phone to my BT headset, 5 minutes in my wifi gets cut and Im switched over to my data plan. The other day im watching a cooking instructional video (youtube) on my SurfaceRT, every stinking few minutes i have to wash my hands, dry them and then swipe to lift the screen lock. This last scenario is the most recent and absolutely infuriated me.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You should blame OEMs for that.

I can set screen lock to "never" on my HTC Titan but only 5 minutes max on my 900. The option is there but it's up to the OEM to implement.

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You should blame OEMs for that.

I can set screen lock to "never" on my HTC Titan but only 5 minutes max on my 900. The option is there but it's up to the OEM to implement.
Ya i can blame nokia for my 920, but im still blaming MS for my Surface.

Edit: I always figured it was an OS config since both my 900 and 920 are limited.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
This absolutely annoys me. Both my 920 and SurfaceRT do not have an option to prevent screen timeout/lock. So if Im sitting at home streaming music from my phone to my BT headset, 5 minutes in my wifi gets cut and Im switched over to my data plan. The other day im watching a cooking instructional video (youtube) on my SurfaceRT, every stinking few minutes i have to wash my hands, dry them and then swipe to lift the screen lock. This last scenario is the most recent and absolutely infuriated me.

For your Surface, go to your desktop. Open up the file explorer and click on desktop, then control panel. In control panel, switch the view to small icons and go to power options. Tap on advanced power options and you'll see the option to turn it off after so many minutes. Change it from the default 2 minutes to whatever you'd like for it to remain on. You can do this for both battery and plugged in.

Don't forget peeps, for the most part, it works the same was as Win 7 so before you get frustrated, try the route you would take with Win7 and it will probably do what you want it to.

That's the beauty of the Surface!

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
For your Surface, go to your desktop. Open up the file explorer and click on desktop, then control panel. In control panel, switch the view to small icons and go to power options. Tap on advanced power options and you'll see the option to turn it off after so many minutes. Change it from the default 2 minutes to whatever you'd like for it to remain on. You can do this for both battery and plugged in.

Don't forget peeps, for the most part, it works the same was as Win 7 so before you get frustrated, try the route you would take with Win7 and it will probably do what you want it to.

That's the beauty of the Surface!
thank you so much!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for confirming the advanced power options. I have no RT so it's good to know it's there when I eventually get a Surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes