Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Global Posts
    3,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR8 View Post
    My wife has the Evo 4G LTE and while she doesn't experience WTF moments every few hours, she does experience them every few days.

But to be honest, those hiccups are easily tolerated because of the sheer utility of Android. We actually just completed a week-long road trip and we used Google Navigation over Nokia Drive because when put side by side, Nokia Drive is so far behind that it is a complete embarrassment. We were able to easily stream content from the PRI and NPR apps. I really cannot underscore enough how simple this was on her android phone. There is no similar solution on Windows phone without downloading podcasts through Xbox music. The streaming content ran in the background while navigation was running, too.

The point is that Android users, even casual non-techie folks like my wife, have become accustomed to a certain level of capabilities that I just don't thin WP8 can currently provide. So while Android sill does lock up sometimes (my 920 has also locked up recently) most users gladly tolerate that minor irritation because of everything else the platform allows them to do.
    My best friend and his Wife are both due for upgrades early next year. I have been talking to them about what they do and don't like about their phones. She has the LG Revolution, and he has a Blackbery Curve. The whole thing you just described is what I have found is the ONLY reason people are not leaving Android. She hates the battery hogging, laggy part of her LG. But a ton of the apps and tools she is used to are just not on WP yet. I can sell her on the OS (She loves it!!) and smooth operation. Even the worst WP is better in the battery life then her LG is. But she would miss a lot of goodies. He is done with BB (not interested in BB10, which I have told him about), but he has seen the tools and extras her Android can do. I think the best I can do is make sure they end up with the best Verizon Androids out there. They will give WP 8 a spin, but I do not think they will get one. (They do not like Apple products or business practices.)

It is still an uphill battle for WP. MS and it's OEMs are in much better position then even three months ago, but it is a large hill.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    I feel I am going to leave windows phone and discountinue my Xbox music subscription if Xbox music is not fixed before next iPhone. At least Spotify and iTunes both work, and I am almost sure that apple will not screw music streaming experience.
    I simply hate iTunes.. it slow and laggy. But features wise it's not bad.

For all you light weight iphone and android users go buy a Nokia Lumia 920 send it to me and I'll sand paper it down so that you are able to carry it. If it's too heavy for your gurly arms.

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    The lack of key apps should be taken into consideration by Microsoft and they should do something about it. Pay to motivate them to make an app for Windows Phone
    If all these big apps don't see the benefit of being on WP8, then **** on them. I'm not dying because I don't have these key apps. Paying them to dev for WP8 is not the motivation I want. Because then we will get crap apps. If they come to MS wanting to dev for them, then we get a company that is interested on their terms, which means they will work to have a quality app. The only way for that to happen is for us to ask them to support WP8.
    I am an Android user and I am impressed with the device for the reason pointed out before: the look and feel.

There is, however, a very good reason why Android and IOS look alike: it's familiar. It's a hard sell to some to jump into something so alien looking to what they are used to. Case in point: Windows 8.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    To be honest, most people switching from a basic phone to a smartphone don't care if its Android, iPhone, or Windows. The key hang up here is sales rep persuasion, which Verizon is trying very hard to overcome. Verizon is marketing WP8 as THE "basic to smart" platform and is forcing handsets onto its management team to make them aware that its not a repeat of Windows Mobile. In my opinion, Microsoft needs to start offering spiffs to front line sales reps. There's a lot of misconceptions that sales reps are incentivised to sell certain phones, not true. A customer could buy a Note II or a free LG Lucid and the rep will make the same amount of money. People respond to incentives. The employee edition 8X is nice, but offering a spiff of some kind would push phone sales over the top.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I think when it comes to power users coming from android such as myself, it us hard to leave all of the incredible things that android makes possible. Because developers are able to take advantage of so many great api's and features of android, there are many apps that simply cannot be replaced by any other app on both ios and WP.

Some of these apps/features include:

Floating apps- Video players, browser, calculators, note taking, etc,. These sort of apps are taking off with both devs and OEMs such as Samsung. When out and about and on a text convo, webpage or call, I could pull up my calculator, a note taking app or browser without leaving current task and still being able to look at info on main screen.

Widgets. Some are useless(same as some useless live tiles). But some are very useful. Widgets allowed me to stay on the home screen and glance at information. Yes live tiles do the same thing BUT with widgets on android you can also interact as if the app is open. I had a file browser, dialer, calendar, calculator widget which enabled me to do tasks such as manage files on my phone, creating calendar entries, taking notes etc.

Any power user coming from android can tell you this. I am no fan boy and currently happy with my Lumia and coping.

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I would consider myself an Android power user. Or perhaps "flashaholic" is more accurate. I spend most of my time rooting and flashing buggy ROMs just to stay up to date and have a "pure" OS. I have a Nexus on Verizon but that didn't turn out well as many Android fans will gripe to you. As for apps, the only thing on my Nexus that didn't come with it that I actually use is Facebook. I think I'd transition fine. My biggest wants are the clean interface that gives maximum information to space used and the supposedly power efficient Skype integration. I still have time to think but a WP8 might be better for me than the Nexus 4.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Come on now. Facebook only app downloaded and you call yourself a power user?

I actually used my phones to the fullest. Viewing and marking up websites, annotating maps and graphic work, Scanning docs to pdf, I'm not a teenager who just plays games and browse Facebook.

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts
    No, not really.

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus82 View Post
    Come on now Facebook only app downloaded and you call yourself a power user? I actuyou're used my phones to the fullest. Viewing and marking up websites, annotating maps and graphic work, Scanning docs to pdf, I'm not a teenager who just plays games and browse Facebook.
    What a wonderful welcome, no wonder people like it here [/sarcasm]. I do a lot more with my tablet that also runs Android. But I'm just a dumb ol' teenager. I couldn't possibly do anything else. I don't need a grown-ups phone. Christ you'd think I was crazy for wanting to prioritize my phone for communication.(Of note: My Nexus keeps placing my cursor at odd points and overwriting text while replying here)

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    @armada.

Stop being a hippie. Its a forum.

Global Posts
    6,101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I wonder how many people will dump Instagram, since they do not want their personal photos turned into ads.
    I don't think a lot. Out of all my friends I've only heard 1 say goodbye to instagram. Laura you know. I'm a BlackBerry person so security is kind of important to me, I think I'm a rarity now a days. Lol. Most people will continue to use it and not care about their personal photos being stored somewhere in someone's mothers basement. Lol

Sent from my game boy color
    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    I don't think a lot. Out of all my friends I've only heard 1 say goodbye to instagram. Laura you know. I'm a BlackBerry person so security is kind of important to me, I think I'm a rarity now a days. Lol. Most people will continue to use it and not care about their personal photos being stored somewhere in someone's mothers basement. Lol

Sent from my game boy color
    I wouldn't care if my photos were used in ads if I were given royalty money for use of those photos.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMERICANRAJ View Post
    For all you light weight iphone and android users go buy a Nokia Lumia 920 send it to me and I'll sand paper it down so that you are able to carry it. If it's too heavy for your gurly arms.
    Better yet, just buy an 8X. ;)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Worse yet, just buy an 8X. ;)

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I had a 920. When it broke, AT&T was out of 920s, so I grabbed a 16 GB 8X instead.

The 920 isn't bad, but the 8X is a better phone all around.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    We will agree to disagree. How's that portico update working for you?

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    At the rate that Microsoft and AT&T are taking to update the device, I'm sure it will arrive sometime shortly after WP8 is discontinued. :P
    stmav likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Updates on Windows Phone are horrendous -- even worse than Android (and that's really saying something).

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Updates on Windows Phone are horrendous -- even worse than Android (and that's really saying something).
    The HTC Thunderbolt sitting in my drawer that was promised Android 4.0 months ago, and only reaffirmed with "soon" recently, begs to differ.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,360 Global Posts
    The Live Tiles are the killer feature. The ability to pin any kind of content to the start screen is the differentiator, Android widgets just aren't the same.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Armada View Post
    The HTC Thunderbolt sitting in my drawer that was promised Android 4.0 months ago, and only reaffirmed with "soon" recently, begs to differ.
    That's a two-year old device. My 8X isn't even a month old, and they still don't have an ETA on AT&T for a serious bug fix update that T-Mo already received. Ugh.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    The Live Tiles are the killer feature. The ability to pin any kind of content to the start screen is the differentiator, Android widgets just aren't the same.
    widgets on android are interactive. There are some widgets were you can complete a task without leaving the homescreen. For example: full blown file explorer that lets you scroll, copy, move, paste, delete files. Dialer widgets that let you dial straight from home screen. Calendar widgets that let you scroll and add events. Interactive toggles to adjust settings and volume straight from home screen without having to go into each individual setting just to turn on WiFi, bt, etc,. Notes/list widgets that let you mark off tasks on home screen.

One of my favorites was the evernote widget. You could actually see previews of your evernote notes and scroll through to see older notes.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Those widgets obviate the need for the actual app. Why not just replace the app with field after field of widgets?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast