Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

Some interesting points being made here.

Thekonger convinced me that the usefulness of such posts are limited. The WP community is already well aware of the issues and rarely learns anything new from such posts. The OP might learn something new, but it isn't relevant as he/she has already made their final decision. Posting these thoughts before making a decision, thereby giving us a chance to help out with the evaluation would be preferable by far, but not everyone will do that.

Insulting the OP is even less productive though! A troll can achieve the desired affect with far less effort than was put into the OP's post, and no troll is that inefficient. Calling the OP a troll is simply ridiculous. Sure, we can mob the OP out of the forum, but that won't achieve anything. It won't stop others from making similar posts in the future. It won't prevent us from having to deal with similar posts in the future. What it will achieve is to place the memory of a negative experience into the OP's mind, that is forever associated with WP. That is bad enough. Others coming from iOS or Android will also dig up this thread, and even if you think the OP had only malicious intent, you must recognize that more than enough people won't share that opinion. This is the opposite of supporting our platform. It is counterproductive.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

You can get gMaps for Google map and Maps for Bing map. Amazing Music is another awesome music app that let you download songs or stream them.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

One stickied thread for posts like these would alleviate a lot of problems. People that don't want to read it can stay out. Those that fell they have something to add can do it in a spot without rebuke.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Like I said in my previous post, I can understand some of your decisions. Nokia drive, I like it, but it does still need work. Fortunately I personally have Navigon as an alternate, picked it up a while back when they ran it for $25 or $30. Having the offline maps is a major thing for me, if 'm out on my motorcycle and I have no signal for an online map app. Spotify, I'm curious about t, but I haven't used t before, so not a major issue to me right now. You're going where your needs/wants are currently met, but you're interested enough to stick around and see where WP8 goes, and that makes me think you will be back.

Like I said at the end of my post......hopefully by the time AT&T releases unlock codes, issues that were deal breakers FOR ME will be fixed :)

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

There are definitely a select few people here commenting being blatant fanboys actually. And also there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with someone posting their review/opinion of WP and the results of it... without feedback from users (positive AND negative), improving a product/service becomes much slower. If you don't want to read why someone has switched back, then you shouldn't have clicked on this thread to begin with, it was obvious right in the title.

I haven't seen a post I would classify as fanyboyish at all. Again, a ****** argues by saying their product is factually superior. That isn't happening. What I have seen is someone saying WP8 doesn't fit their needs and then giving a short novel on why. When people say fine then just leave they are being labeled as fanboys. That, by definition, is not a ******.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Thekonger convinced me that the usefulness of such posts are limited. The WP community is already well aware of the issues and rarely learns anything new from such posts. The OP might learn something new, but it isn't relevant as he/she has already made their final decision. Posting these thoughts before making a decision, thereby giving us a chance to help out with the evaluation would be preferable by far, but not everyone will do that.

Insulting the OP is even less productive though! A troll can achieve the desired affect with far less effort than was put into the OP's post, and no troll is that inefficient. Calling the OP a troll is simply ridiculous. Sure, we can mob the OP out of the forum, but that won't achieve anything. It won't stop others from making similar posts in the future. It won't prevent us from having to deal with similar posts in the future. What it will achieve is to place the memory of a negative experience into the OP's mind, that is forever associated with WP. That is bad enough. Others coming from iOS or Android will also dig up this thread, and even if you think the OP had only malicious intent, you must recognize that more than enough people won't share that opinion. This is the opposite of supporting our platform. It is counterproductive.

No malicious intent intended. I wish I would have read MY post BEFORE buying. I clearly have a unique set of conditions that needed to be met. I didn't know Nokia Drive+ didn't offer alternative routing. I also happen to live next to a toll road in an area I recently moved too, so for me, it's almost a must. All I read was one person claimed Nokia Drive sucked, then floods of people came to it's defense. When I experienced problems MYSELF, I did MORE research, and found out that it's actually more widespread than I thought. My fault. All I'm doing is sharing insight, and if you actually read my review bit by bit, you'd probably gather than I really DO like the Lumia 920 better than the iPhone........there are just a couple of deal-breakers for me at the moment with it :p Also, Google Maps coming out for iOS 6 was really just perfect timing, to be honest.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Jollydog, I have been a pretty hardcore WP user since WP7.0 and I found your post interesting. People do get upset when the poster has left the platform and wants to tell everyone why WP wasn't good enough for them, which they have a point with, although they can be to over the top with it. That being said I thought you were very balanced in your opinion and the OS is just not for you and I also agree that new users or potential users looking for info on WP8 will find posts like yours very helpful.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Yes, for someone who supposedly made his mind up a while ago, you clearly are.

If I made my mind up a while ago, tell me, why would I even "entertain" WP8 and test drive the 920 to begin with? Do you just enjoy putting words in my mouth?

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Jollydog, I have been a pretty hardcore WP user since WP7.0 and I found your post interesting. People do get upset when the poster has left the platform and wants to tell everyone why WP wasn't good enough for them, which they have a point with, although they can be to over the top with it. That being said I thought you were very balanced in your opinion and the OS is just not for you and I also agree that new users or potential users looking for info on WP8 will find posts like yours very helpful.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. That's all I'm trying to do. I guess I wasn't descriptive enough with my praise towards WP8, as I REALLY did like the 920 overall. It's a solid phone, just not for me......for the moment :p Being on the fence goes both ways...maybe people will read my review and be like "Oh, hey, that's something I didn't need anyway, so let's try it!"

That's all I'm saying.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

All I'm doing is sharing insight, and if you actually read my review bit by bit, you'd probably gather than I really DO like the Lumia 920 better than the iPhone........there are just a couple of deal-breakers for me at the moment with it :p Also, Google Maps coming out for iOS 6 was really just perfect timing, to be honest.

I did read your post bit by bit, and I agree with you. I wasn't saying you had malicious intent, but some people will make that accusation of anyone deciding against WP for any reason. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Paul May

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks man, I appreciate it. That's all I'm trying to do. I guess I wasn't descriptive enough with my praise towards WP8, as I REALLY did like the 920 overall. It's a solid phone, just not for me......for the moment :p Being on the fence goes both ways...maybe people will read my review and be like "Oh, hey, that's something I didn't need anyway, so let's try it!"

That's all I'm saying.
Sometimes I think early adopters are like parents. They care for and nurture their baby and god help anyone who try's to mess with it.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I concede on some of your points a5cent. I know scolding a troll can be counter productive as it makes them defensive, but I have seen so many of these post and I have only been a member since I bought my 920 in November. Honestly, where do you draw the line?

If everyone like the OP made this type of post we would get inundated with them. If they are so helpful, should i go to the Android post and post one on why I left Android for WP8? Maybe I'll post an eight paragraph diatribe there.

And yes, that wouldn't be helpful. So perhaps one solution is to make a 'Why I Left WP' folder and a moderator can move all of these posts to them. I would not waste any effort reading them and they would not obscure the WP8 or 920 forums. Until, I will continue to squash trolls with reckless abandon.

Paul May

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
. I would not waste any effort reading them and they would not obscure the WP8 or 920 forums. Until, I will continue to squash trolls with reckless abandon.

The title of the tread is very clear. If you did not want to waste tome reading it, don't click on it. I could understand if the title lead you to believe the post was about something else but you knew when you clicked on it.

ahashan21

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

1. File manager...
Where is the file manager ?
How can I open a PDF file saved on my SD card ?!

2. App close button...
There is no app close button, which is very painful. In browser, if I want to close it, I have to go all through backwards to close it, until I go to the first page.

3. Multi tasking ...
Symbian is better than windows phone in terms of multi tasking. Its ok, we can use back button as opening all running tasks , but we really want true multi tasking. What's the use of this processor then ?

4. Notification light...
Where is the blinking light for missed call or SMS alerts ?
Windows icon should blink...

5. Battery...
Battery drains very quickly. You suppose people will use this phone only for browsing and calling ?!!
Then what's the use to buy a phone with this price ?

6. Quick notes...
I always have to open OneNote for this. Should have a notepad like app, for txt support. I've always been using the notes app in Symbian.

7. Poor camera...
Lumia 820 has very poor front camera, main camera is not so good either. I expected it to be better than N8 at least.

8. Accessories...
The accessories are not available, even the spare battery. I wanted the ruggedized case very much, but I don?t know, when will it be available in Dubai :(

I have been using Nokia phone from my second phone. The first one was NEC e313. Probably Nokia Lumia 820 is my 13th in 7 years.

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I read your original post (whew!) and have seen some of your responses. Its cool, everyone has to have a phone that works for them. Perhaps, in the future, WP8 will add the features you find lacking or maybe you can find them in some other device. Between, iOS, Android, WP8 and the upcoming BB10 there is something for everyone.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

No malicious intent intended. I wish I would have read MY post BEFORE buying. I clearly have a unique set of conditions that needed to be met. I didn't know Nokia Drive+ didn't offer alternative routing. I also happen to live next to a toll road in an area I recently moved too, so for me, it's almost a must. All I read was one person claimed Nokia Drive sucked, then floods of people came to it's defense. When I experienced problems MYSELF, I did MORE research, and found out that it's actually more widespread than I thought. My fault. All I'm doing is sharing insight, and if you actually read my review bit by bit, you'd probably gather than I really DO like the Lumia 920 better than the iPhone........there are just a couple of deal-breakers for me at the moment with it :p Also, Google Maps coming out for iOS 6 was really just perfect timing, to be honest.

Cool Jolly, peace. Sorry if I was a bit aggressive when I responded .I agree, there are issues on all cell phones; we all have unique needs and when looking at a phone we need to find one that suits us the best.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I've hopped between various phones (iOS, Android, and now WP), and here's some additional reasons I'm staying:

- Yeah, I'm disappointed that Spotify isn't here yet. Xbox Music has some nice touches, and could grow into something wonderful, but it's lacking in some basics like good playlist management. HOWEVER, both rdio and Rhapsody are good alternatives. I wish you could have tried one of THOSE before giving up on the music front, because the phone does have wonderful sound!

- I love the wireless charging. I thought it was just a silly feature for lazy people, but I guess I'm a lazy person who likes silly features cuz I'm already taking it for granted and am like "Oh I actually have to ATTACH A CABLE?!?!" with my other devices now.

- I know what you mean that live tiles could feel stale, but I think that wp8's addition of various sizes gives a lot more options to "freshen up" your screen when bored with it. The xbox music app tile (when playing music) also shows what is possible, and I hope Microsoft is letting other app makers have that option. Eventually if more live tiles take that approach it will bring even more diversity to the look.

- Having a low-light capable camera is so wonderful. I'm taking more pictures than ever. (Especially this time of year when daylight is so limited!)

- As far as diversity of app functionality and appearance, I think that's a two-edged sword. I have a Nexus 7 and experienced that the other day when, as I hopped between a few apps I hadn't used in a while I was frustrated by trying to remember how each app did the basics. In wp8 there's more consistency, and I think the benefit of that is you can move quickly from app to app and get things done. Even better, wp8 tries to minimize "app-hopping" so we can do lots of common tasks in one area (people/contacts etc.), and with the new centralization of photo apps as "lenses" on the camera they're developing that idea further, and I'm all for it.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention I'm one of those people getting GREAT battery life. It was good with occasional bad patches the first couple weeks, but has been consistently excellent for the last couple weeks. Easily the best battery life on any smartphone I've had, and I've been indulging in LOTS of camera shots!

In the end I hope you find a phone you're happy with. The Lumia 920 is that phone for me. Good luck with your new iPhone!

Last edited:

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

You can use the People app for Facebook & LinkedIn, and I believe others. It actually works pretty well and isn't besieged with ads.

Nokia Maps gives turn by turn written directions, as you've been told on your other thread.

You can set Nokia Drive+ to not use highways or toll roads really easily, as another poster has noted in this thread.

Alternate routes are apparently there, but you need to drive to the destination at least once, which I think is silly and hope they fix.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
How is an alternate route chosen after that first drive? Is there actually a new selection in settings or some other option button on the main driving directions use screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)