[How-to] Switch COMPLETELY from Gmail to Outlook/Live.com

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Great guide. I've done everything mentioned before and transition and all was great, except I forgot which settings I was suppose to go in gmail to avoid some mails from gmail that won't show up on my WP device if I check the mail on another device.

Not sure how to describe it better.

Errr. When I check new mail (gmail) on my desktop it doesn't show up on my phone anymore.

MikeTheYid

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Man you've asked a difficult question there and the answer is YES.
I say difficult because I can't walk you thru it, I don't know how I did it because it took alot of digging around in settings menus and stuff to get this to work. Look here,
I first got my Windows Live account when I got my first Xbox, which was the black "Elite" when it came out. At that time, my Windows Live ID was an @gmail address. Despite searching alot fairly recently for articles on how to switch one Live ID to another, I couldn't find a way to do it and keep EVERYTHING (as in both Phone purchases AND all the Xbox stuff like my Gamertag and accompanying achievements.) Instead, I did find a way to do it myself.

I went to live.com and created a spanking new account with an @live.com email address. The next part that I can't remember is if it's the old ID or new one I logged in to and played with the options until I found a way to give the old account the new log in, and that results in a complete account shift. It is NOT adding an alias. Once this was all said and done I did have to reset my phone and re-download my apps, no big deal really. At any rate, I apologize that I can't be of more use, but it's going to take a little of your time to just play with the options and settings in your accounts. Like I said, I successfully transfered all account related 'everything' to the new login which is the new @live address I created and there's not a trace of the previous gmail involvement anywhere, because it was somewhere in the settings that the login ID is where you make the change.

Good luck man.

Oh yeah I got it, what you gotta do is the xbox old to new like you said and it transfers over everything, gamertag, windows phone etc etc but to get the windows phone apps back I had to sign in to the games/xbox hub and it updates everything and populates the purchase history on the website.

Haxcid

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Great write up. I have all my gmail accounts funnelled into one account which my out look now collects for me. Weening myself off being one of Googles minions. Just need the phone (up for a new one at the end of January) once that is done I am free. Except the search engine. I really like the search engine in my PC web browswer. Bing will take time.

vortoozo

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
For those that have switched over their Microsoft account from a gmail to an outlook email address; when you had to reset your Win8 phone, did all your contacts, text messages, etc. transferred over after the reset? I would love to switch but don't want to lose anything! After using Office 365 at a previous job, I am in love with the Outlook interface and want everything to work seamlessly with my phone.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
For those that have switched over their Microsoft account from a gmail to an outlook email address; when you had to reset your Win8 phone, did all your contacts, text messages, etc. transferred over after the reset? I would love to switch but don't want to lose anything! After using Office 365 at a previous job, I am in love with the Outlook interface and want everything to work seamlessly with my phone.

Your text messages aren't tied to your account. Your calendar, email, and contacts do transfer though.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Would love do the switch, but Microsoft are making it so hard for Mac users - Outlook.com just does not work on Safari or Chrome on a Mac. Apparently they're aware of the issue and working on a fix (lots of questions in MS forums), but it's been like this since launch... Love or hate Google, at least their web properties work reliably across platforms.
chrome does work with outlook.com on a mac, also safari and Firefox work too. Maybe it is a setting you need to change.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to truly sync between a hotmail/outlook.com calendar and an Outlook calendar on an exchange server. I can subscribe to the exchange calendar and it pushes changes to my phone. But I can't push the other way, the way I can with Google Sync. If I can't figure this out, I'm stuck with Google Sync....until it disappears.

Thanks,

Jim

ragemonster

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Trying to set up my mail, just the mail, and this is incredibly frustrating. Is there any way anyone can add more to detail to the OP? Everytime I get to 'Add send and recieve account' I type in my password etc. for gmail and it doesn't import, telling me I need to go into gmail settings and change my POP dowload settings, which I do, click save. Ain't happening. Any help would be great.

Thanks
-Doc

This happened to me too. If you have 2 step verification make sure your create a unique password for outlook via your google.com account and then enter that password.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Since upgrading my main hotmail microsoft account to the outlook domain, I am no longer getting emails on my phone. On the accounts settings page for email+accounts I get a Not up-to-date error. My junk hotmail account that I did the same thing with is working fine and getting emails. My new outlook.com account is working fine. My work outlook account is working just fine. My twitter account and linkedIn account are also not working. My linked in is tied to my junk mail account. My twitter is tied to my gmail account. So I have my main microsoft account that the phone is tied to. Then I have 2 other services that are not getting updates but are getting email normally. I really do not want to have to reset the phone again. I have done it 4 times in the last 3 months for various reasons.

Is there a reason I am not getting emails on my main account? I upgraded it to the outlook web portal first. But I am not getting email on my phone. My older hotmail junk account was then upgraded and its still working fine. Just boggles my mine.

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: [How-to] Switch COMPLETELY from Gmail to Outlook/Live.com

I can't get pass the adding account it say I need to change pop settings but I have Don that and no luck.
I wonder what settings should there be both in live/Hotmail and gmail?

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: [How-to] Switch COMPLETELY from Gmail to Outlook/Live.com

This happened to me too. If you have 2 step verification make sure your create a unique password for outlook via your google.com account and then enter that password.

Well feel stupid but don't understand what you mean?

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
from the outlook.com help forums

Mary Grace A. replied on December 15, 2012
Forum Moderator
In reply to WilliamSDR post on December 14, 2012

Hi,

Please be advised that rename feature is currently not available. The Engineering team is aware of the problem and working to fix it. At this time, we don?t have a date when the feature will be restored. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks.

Fantastic, Ill be renaming mine as soon as its back up

Perfect, this will solve all of our woes soon enough.

Thanks

-Doc

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
@power5 unfortunately when you change your live email address you have to reset your device.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to truly sync between a hotmail/outlook.com calendar and an Outlook calendar on an exchange server. I can subscribe to the exchange calendar and it pushes changes to my phone. But I can't push the other way, the way I can with Google Sync. If I can't figure this out, I'm stuck with Google Sync....until it disappears.

Thanks,

Jim
the owner of the calendar must give you permission to edit the calendar. Also you should beable to add your calendar directly by adding the exchange account.

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Still working on this.

i can publish my Outlook/Exchange calendar to the internet, then subscribe to it on Outlook.com. But for some reason, not all the events are published. If I subscribe to it in Outlook 2010, the internet calendar is an exact replica of the actual Outlook/Exchange calendar. But when I look at it on Outlook.com, there are a few events missing. Further, new events added to the Outlook/Exchange calendar don't get pushed to the Outlook.com internet calendar.(they do get pushed to the internet calendar viewed in Outlook). What am i missing?

Thanks,

Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss