android removes activesync support???

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Android will still support ActiveSync. Personal Gmail accounts will stop being able to utilize that, but Android itself will be unaffected because Gmail will be native. IOS devices have a Gmail app that is available for download, so the impact there will be minimal. This is just a punk move by Google since they will support ActiveSync for paying customers (Business, Education, Government), and hose everyone else. Bad form.

I have a google account for education so I won't be as effected like a lot of people will be. I recently opened an outlook.com email address and I am looking to migrate personal mail there and keeping my work email on Google.

The only thing that will change Google's mind is if Windows Phone starts taking a larger market share. Rooting for that to happen.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually, Android has no native support for ActiveSync. The OEM has to license it, separately, from Microsoft.

Many Android devices don't support Exchange as a result.

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Actually, Android has no native support for ActiveSync. The OEM has to license it, separately, from Microsoft.

Many Android devices don't support Exchange as a result.
Which devices don't support ActiveSync now? My old T-Mobile G2 does and that was supposed to be pretty close to stock Android. If Android has no ActiveSync support, then the manufacturers would build it in. It's too important to business customers.

Google is just no longer going to let its own Gmail users be able to use ActiveSync unless they pay for it. Again, bad form, since they will be supporting it anyway for their enterprise customers.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Google does not pay for ActiveSync for Android clients. That's up to the OEM.

OEMs have done some different things as a result. Some pay Microsoft for a license (or had one before that also applies to their Android portfolio).

Other OEMs (like Motorola) use it without licensing, and get sued.

Still others don't offer it, so the user is forced to purchase an Android app like RoadSync to get basic EAS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett