Petition for APP development - WP8

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
*Damn - wrote 30 lines and closed the window* F**K!!!! :amaze:

I am going to keep this brief because I don’t have time to write everything again. All you guys have to know is that I have a sentimental attachment towards Nokia. I have grown up with their devices and would not want to lose them, that too from Apple and Samsung. We all know, realise and accept the fact that WP8 has a very impressive UI and a great OS. We also know that it lacks on apps and functionality when it comes to business use (As I have heard other users complaining, I am OK with it). MS has been in this business for so many years, the least we would expect off them is to provide great business functionality without any bugs when they launch a product through Billion $ marketing, to evoke a widespread adoption of companies to use WP8 devices with their employees.

Anyways, hopefully that will be taken care off with time and that too before Apple comes out with a killer device next year! I am here for one thing. Today morning I woke up, and saw another Instagram post (CMON!). Isnt it enough? We, as WP users do not really need it. But we know our friends/family do not want to switch over because WP might not have apps suited to them, which is making them to not switch even if they enjoy the UI and like what MS has done with WP8. But we want them to, we want to somehow convince them to switch over, because the more users jump into this, the more confidence we can provide the developers! Simple as that - it’s a cylce. Has to start somewhere. Developers are not going to develop a product if they cannot monetize their product from Day1!

For this same reason, please let me introduce a Google Doc Spreadsheet (I know, I should not be using Google but then it has a good cloud functionality so that all the users around the world can use this and I do not have access to Office 365, sorry!) - http://goo.gl/6Xz2a (post has been edited - look down but you can still request for app support using this link and will keep everyone posted with development) - follow updated thread here -
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...upport-their-apps-windows-phone-platform.html

This is simply a petition to raise our voice. The fields are:

1. Name (you can keep it blank if you would like to keep your privacy)
  2. Twitter handle - would be good to know and connect with like minded people)
  3. WP Central ID - we should have atleast one name to tag you with (either of these 3 or all!)
  4. Petition for APP development - this is where you write which app you would like to raise your voice for. Write as many as you want, but remember each APP you vote for - please make a separate entry. Do not write names of 4 apps in one go. INDIVIDUAL ENTRY FOR EVERY APP PLEASE!
  5. Country you are from
  6. City you are from

EXAMPLE:

1. Name: Kavin U. (my name)
  2. Twitter handle - kavinl
  3. WP Central ID - nbktonic
  4. Petition for app dev - Instagram
  5. Country - UAE
  6. City - Dubai.
  7. Hit Submit

Now if I want to raise my voice for “Mint.com”, I will refollow the above procedure to create a new entry within the spreadsheet file.

I hope this is simple enough. Every thing you share is being saved in a spread sheet file and I think it would be a good idea to give this about 3 months to circulate around the world (gather your friends and family!) - the more involvement we have, the better! Today is 23rd December 2012 (Thank god the world did not end! Screw you Mayan, I wanna play some more with my Yellow Nokia Lumia 920;) ), and I think it would be good to close this on 15th April, 2013.

Guys, if you think this has to be revised in any ways, please let me know latest within a day - since I am leaving for holidays.

At the end, I will filter down responses with drop down menus and submit the voice to individual development teams so that they can understand the market and hopefully decide to work on developing favorite apps for all of us!

[edit]:

Follow these websites to sign the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/goo...pular-apps-google-talk-drive-on-windows-phone First Petition

https://www.change.org/petitions/mi...go-support-your-app-on-windows-phone-platform Second Petition

Last edited:

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
This is an amazing idea, the second I'm at a computer ima add like 10, wp8 is the best OS I've every had the pleasure to use. I will never go back to another os as long as wp8 lives on.

One idea about the spreadsheet, what about improvements to the to apps/OS. For example , a way to create playlists/smart playlists in Xbox music? How could we include that?

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is an amazing idea, the second I'm at a computer ima add like 10, wp8 is the best OS I've every had the pleasure to use. I will never go back to another os as long as wp8 lives on.

One idea about the spreadsheet, what about improvements to the to apps/OS. For example , a way to create playlists/smart playlists in Xbox music? How could we include that?

Thanks!! I would like this idea to pick on, I believe it could lead to something big and useful - both for us and the developers. The other question you have regarding app improvement. I think it's a bit more tricky to create a spreadsheet for that. Users will have various ideas/concerns that they would like to see implemented. You have any ideas of how we can pile up data in a clean and efficient manner?

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Update on Ideas that users have voiced for:

Instagram
Teamviewer
Mint.com
Poke
Snapchat
Carbon
Times of India
Medical apps (would appreciate if you have a particular name in your mind which would help me to directly send in an email to the respective developer for it's need)
Google chrome (now we should all realize the battle between Google and MS - we shall keep the optimism on a high during this petition)
Path

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Instagram
Teamviewer
Mint.com
Poke
Snapchat
Carbon
Times of India
Medical apps (would appreciate if you have a particular name in your mind which would help me to directly send in an email to the respective developer for it's need)
Google chrome (now we should all realize the battle between Google and MS - we shall keep the optimism on a high during this petition)
Path
Spotify
Flipboard

Remember the success of this all depends on the number of hits each app has.

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Instagram
Teamviewer
Mint.com
Poke
Snapchat
Carbon
Times of India
Path
Spotify
Flipboard
PRO HDR
Snapseed
NHL Gamecenter
Wells Fargo

Remember the success of this all depends on the number of hits each app has.

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Good discussion Kavin. Thanks for your initiative.

I think it would be more effective to open a petition for each of these apps on 'http://signon.org/'. The petition can be then circulated around across different forums. One of the reasons Windows Phone is behind is because of top developers not investing any effort into bringing their top applications to WP (maybe taking incentives from Apple or Google, who knows). They need to know there are more than 100's of people who use Windows Phone platform !

I think waiting 3 months is too long to reach the developers. If some of the top developers pledge to bring their apps to WP8, we will have others follow quickly as they will see the 'value of mass adoption'. WP8 has the momentum at this time and probably the right time to seize on the opportunity. :-(

We can pick some of the most popular Android and iPhone Apps here, here, or here. (I just Googled them)

Lets pick some of the most popular apps that petitions that can be opened first to test the user interest in:

mint.com
flipboard
wellsfargo
instagram
taximagic
redbox
proHDR
YouTube
Firefox
waze
instapaper

What say ?

Last edited:

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Good discussion Kavin. Thanks for your initiative.

I think it would be more effective to open a petition for each of these apps on 'http://signon.org/'. The petition can be then circulated around across different forums. One of the reasons Windows Phone is behind is because of top developers not investing any effort into bringing their top applications to WP (maybe taking incentives from Apple or Google, who knows). They need to know there are more than 100's of people who use Windows Phone platform !

I think waiting 3 months is too long to reach the developers. If some of the top developers pledge to bring their apps to WP8, we will have others follow quickly as they will see the 'value of mass adoption'. WP8 has the momentum at this time and probably the right time to seize on the opportunity. :-(

We can pick some of the most popular Android and iPhone Apps here, here, or here. (I just Googled them)

Lets pick some of the most popular apps that petitions that can be opened first to test the user interest in:

mint.com
flipboard
wellsfargo
instagram
taximagic
redbox
proHDR
YouTube
Firefox
waze
instapaper

What say ?

Sounds good to me. I have never used it but seems like a productive way of handling this as well. Do you want to take control of this? I have not used this before and will not be able to respond to anything starting tomorrow. The list of top apps that you have mentioned sounds good, except I would like to mention that YouTube won't make an app for this platform, since its Google. So let's remove that and get in Epocrates (medical app).

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good to me. I have never used it but seems like a productive way of handling this as well. Do you want to take control of this? I have not used this before and will not be able to respond to anything starting tomorrow. The list of top apps that you have mentioned sounds good, except I would like to mention that YouTube won't make an app for this platform, since its Google. So let's remove that and get in Epocrates (medical app).

Deal. I will kickstart the first set of petition today. Thanks !

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss