Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Hi all,

I've recently grown bored of the iphone and the many many restrictions it has. Although I'm not the biggest techie you'll meet, I feel that iPhone is a little too restrictive. But at the same time, I'm put off by Android phone sizes, and the sheer number of things one can do with it makes me feel like it will be very very cluttered. Naturally this lead me to the WP8 specifically the HTC 8x. I've read numerous reviews and watched many youtube videos on it. I'm basically sold and just need a few questions answered.

How is Whatsapp on the device? Is it responsive/buggy?

Are the apps on it growing at a fast rate?

In terms of transferring music onto it, is it as much of a headache as on the iphone?

Any news on Instagram?

Whats this I hear about 'loading' times on the apps if the phone locks?

Thanks in advance guys

I think one should experience something on their own and not ask others, who may or may not have some biases.
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chupacabra08 View Post
    Hi all,

I've recently grown bored of the iphone and the many many restrictions it has. Although I'm not the biggest techie you'll meet, I feel that iPhone is a little too restrictive. But at the same time, I'm put off by Android phone sizes, and the sheer number of things one can do with it makes me feel like it will be very very cluttered. Naturally this lead me to the WP8 specifically the HTC 8x. I've read numerous reviews and watched many youtube videos on it. I'm basically sold and just need a few questions answered.

How is Whatsapp on the device? Is it responsive/buggy?

-- Don't use it.

Are the apps on it growing at a fast rate?

Very fast, were finally getting the big apps. We just got Where's My Water.

In terms of transferring music onto it, is it as much of a headache as on the iphone?

Its easy, just drag all of the music on the phone, its recognized as removable.storage.

Any news on Instagram?

Don't think its coming.

Whats this I hear about 'loading' times on the apps if the phone locks?

No issues with it for me.

Thanks in advance guys

Forgive me for using a forum to exactly what it is there for.

Could've saved us both time had you not replied at all.

Useless.

(aimed at the first reply)

Cheers for the input iPwnza. One more question.

In terms of emails. I heard there is/will be some difficulty to get gmail accounts synced up to WP. Any truth to that?
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I had a Gmail, syncing fine. I switched to Outlook, much better. The problems are going to start with Gmail after 2013, with new Gmail accounts.

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    So we just randomly calling people trolls who are genuinely showing interest? Great way to treat potential buyers...
    Anyways, the HTC has some issues but that is mostly hardware. But the number of cases is miniscule. As for other questions, it is a very robust system.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Why not go to your carrier, get one and try it out for the 14-day trial? The carriers make it so easy these days. If, in the worst-case scenario, you don't like it, you can take it back and get something else.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Why not go to your carrier, get one and try it out for the 14-day trial? The carriers make it so easy these days. If, in the worst-case scenario, you don't like it, you can take it back and get something else.
    Pretty much what I posted and I get called a troll, lol.

For the record, you can look at my posting history and you will in fact see that I am no troll.

Bottom line, I only suggested you try the phone out yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Posted from my NOKIA LUMIA 820.... a Windows Phone for those whose first reaction is to label someone a troll 😊
    Last edited by TonyDedrick; 12-25-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    In general, if you suspect it might be for you, you should try it. There's little risk.

WhatsApp | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    ^that's the link to whatsapp for you to check the reviews, read up on features, and check the last update date.
    although glancing at it it doesn't seem to fair very well. i personally use this. it works perfectly except that the live tile and notification do not work sometimes. so use this if u are fine with occasionally opening it up to check for new msgs.
    Kik Messenger | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

for transfering music and other files, windows explorer works. for syncing i believe windows media player works.
    windows basically treat your phone as a special flash drive.

this is probably the closest to instagram that's out right now:
    Metrogram | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts
    Whatsapp was the biggest disappointment for me on WP7 and one of the reasons I moved back to Android. On Android and Blackberry (two platforms on which I've used Whatsapp) the notifications are perfect and in real-time, just like text or email. Based on the reviews I'm seeing on the Windows store, it seems like the WP8 version is the same as the WP7 in that the notification lag has yet to be fixed.

What I mean is, your friend might send you a message, but Whatsapp wil alert you immediately maybe 50% of the time. A lot of times, I've opened up the app to send a message, only to have my phone vibrate to tell me that there are 4-5 "new" messages from 2 days ago. I don't know if this problem is on the developers' end, or on Microsoft's. This review from the store sums up my experience:

"Really,this is far from my expectation.in Android,it was almost perfect.but in WP8,better OS than Android in my opinion,it's really lame.it's not running at the background,the toast notification is faster than it's actual message,same colors for chat bubble in groups which make it harder to distinguish whose chat,strangely designed emoticon,can't attach location n screenshot,and lastly,the option in setting is missing a lot crucial option like turn off vibration,change the tone to differ personal chat and group chat. Please,i like this app very much,don't turn something this great into another failed-to-survive messaging app.3* for now.will update if you start to concerned with our plead.Thank you. Lumia 920 Proud User"

Global Posts
    1,447 Global Posts
    kik has the same problem for me. Sometimes I get instant alerts to messages, sometimes its a long long long time after. And as you said, when I open the app it tells me I have new messages. Also I will get the toast, then open the app and it can take a long long time to display the new message. So long that I close the app and reopen it hoping it will show me my message the second time. I am not sure how this could be a app problem unless kik has a much smaller farm of servers for the WP app and exponentially more servers for the iphone/droid users. But I am not sure because my brother and dad are on iphones and they remark about the same problems.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I've decided that Kik and WhatsApp both suck on Windows Phone 8, after using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    So we just randomly calling people trolls who are genuinely showing interest? Great way to treat potential buyers...
    Anyways, the HTC has some issues but that is mostly hardware. But the number of cases is miniscule. As for other questions, it is a very robust system.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
    Portico solved the issues with the hTC the 920 still has problems tho.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Sorry but I'm having no problems with my 920 at all.

Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    I think one should experience something on their own and not ask others, who may or may not have some biases.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    Pretty much what I posted and I get called a troll, lol.

For the record, you can look at my posting history and you will in fact see that I am no troll.

Bottom line, I only suggested you try the phone out yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Posted from my NOKIA LUMIA 820.... a Windows Phone for those whose first reaction is to label someone a troll 
    I understand where your coming from, but maybe one of these things is a complete deal breaker. Maybe he has friends/family in different countries that exclusively use WhatsApp to text, so even if WhatsApp is on Windows Phone, if it is poorly made, its a deal breaker. He doesn't need to go through the hassle of buying and returning a phone to find that out when he can just ask a question. In a 14 day trial, your not going to get a good feel for how quickly apps are being added. Using the phone won't tell him the latest news on Instagram coming or not. In short that was a poor answer to his questions because at least some of them wouldn't be answered by your suggestion.

Precisely djeven, my girlfriend lives abroad and I rely heavily on whatsapp for communicating with her in a non costly manner. And getting the phone for 2 weeks means I would struggle to stay in contact with her during that time.

Anyways, this is a huge huge disappointment, because I think this will force me to get the iPhone 5 (mostly because android just has the ugliest user interface ever). I really really wanted a WP8 too :( Maybe next year!

Thank you all for your help and contributions.

Whatsapp works just fine on my htc 8x. A bit slower than an android but it works. Crucial apps which turned out to be not a dealbreaker.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabra08 View Post
    Precisely djeven, my girlfriend lives abroad and I rely heavily on whatsapp for communicating with her in a non costly manner. And getting the phone for 2 weeks means I would struggle to stay in contact with her during that time.

Anyways, this is a huge huge disappointment, because I think this will force me to get the iPhone 5 (mostly because android just has the ugliest user interface ever). I really really wanted a WP8 too :( Maybe next year!

Thank you all for your help and contributions.
    You can't go wrong with an iPhone 5, I personally feel WP is still not ready for prime time - close but not there yet, perhaps with the 8.5 update. However, if you are not a WP enthusiast you are better off with an iPhone. I still find it hard to whole heartedly recommend a WP to family and friends. Its a great OS but the apps are not there yet, and the selection of apps available seem to be the worst versions. I don't trust WhatsApp for sending an important message as countless times I've had delayed notifications or messages just don't go through, its a sad state of affairs.

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts
    There used to be a site you could go to on iphone and Android that made a mock interface for Windows phone so you could test drive it... I think it was this one: Windows Phone Demo

I would recommend you try it. its obviously limited but it does a fair job of showing you the nuances.

As for the messaging feature have you tried using Facebook chat? Its integrated into the messaging interface and is also free...all major platforms also have apps for this.