2012. What a year for Microsoft!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Go Microsoft :)

Lets hope 2013 is an even better year.

2012: A Year of Microsoft Milestones - YouTube

The forced start of Windows 8, the NT Kernel copy of Windows Phone 7 called Windows Phone 8, as well as the feature lacking (this screen resolution in 2012, come on...) Surface didn't convince me really. I'm truly hoping for a better year in 2013, it's time for Microsoft to bring some quality and features in what was started in 2012. The potential is there, but they really, really have to work on it.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The forced start of Windows 8, the NT Kernel copy of Windows Phone 7 called Windows Phone 8, as well as the feature lacking (this screen resolution in 2012, come on...) Surface didn't convince me really. I'm truly hoping for a better year in 2013, it's time for Microsoft to bring some quality and features in what was started in 2012. The potential is there, but they really, really have to work on it.

... <--- My most honest response.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Why did you waste a response.

Crap. Now I wasted one as well. God damnit.

First of all, Nokia was releasing phones all the time, therefore I don't really get your meme. There was the Nokia N line, with the N9 at the end, then based on the N9 they released the Lumia 800, later the Lumia 900, and now the recent WP8 phones.

Second, I realize that in this forum are many people who really love Microsoft. That's good, you are the guys who bring out the good word, who use their free time to write blogs about these products, who help in forums and yes, you rock! But you also have to accept, that there are people who are grumpy and cynic like me.

I'm not fan of a company or a brand, I use products, and therefore I try to see the good and the bad. You don't have to search for the bad concerning Windows Phone 8, there are hundreds of threads about it in this forum. Better Microsoft apps on iPhone than on Windows Phone is only one example. So, instead of making stupid and condescending comments, you could ask me why I (and most of the customers, I mean look at what is known about sells numbers, and I've had several Windows Phone devices and Windows Mobile before) feel not so euphoric about what Microsoft did in 2012. And we are talking only about 2012.

What new features had WP8 in comparison to WP7, just for me, the customer, in 2012? Yeah, right, there was nothing that could not have happened in WP7, just not at all. So, they have a great basis to create something big, but they have to do it first.

Why I am not impressed by the Surface? Look at the heavily subsidized Nexus tablets with great hardware and even more functions and apps and you know why.

Why I am not impressed by Windows 8? I wrote that in the Windows 8 forum.

So yes, I think there's a solid foundation, but no, I don't think Microsoft impressed me by what they did in 2012.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't agree that the Nexus have "even more functions." They're cute toys for light web browsing and e-mail.

But I do agree that Microsoft had better work to make 2013 better than 2012. They've got LOTS of problems with WP8, stemming from the botched launch... and lots of broken promises to fix as well.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Let's hope that we in retrospect will be able to say that they used 2012 to build the platform from where they do amazing stuff in the years to come :D
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
First of all, Nokia was releasing phones all the time, therefore I don't really get your meme. There was the Nokia N line, with the N9 at the end, then based on the N9 they released the Lumia 800, later the Lumia 900, and now the recent WP8 phones.

Second, I realize that in this forum are many people who really love Microsoft. That's good, you are the guys who bring out the good word, who use their free time to write blogs about these products, who help in forums and yes, you rock! But you also have to accept, that there are people who are grumpy and cynic like me.

I'm not fan of a company or a brand, I use products, and therefore I try to see the good and the bad. You don't have to search for the bad concerning Windows Phone 8, there are hundreds of threads about it in this forum. Better Microsoft apps on iPhone than on Windows Phone is only one example. So, instead of making stupid and condescending comments, you could ask me why I (and most of the customers, I mean look at what is known about sells numbers, and I've had several Windows Phone devices and Windows Mobile before) feel not so euphoric about what Microsoft did in 2012. And we are talking only about 2012.

What new features had WP8 in comparison to WP7, just for me, the customer, in 2012? Yeah, right, there was nothing that could not have happened in WP7, just not at all. So, they have a great basis to create something big, but they have to do it first.

Why I am not impressed by the Surface? Look at the heavily subsidized Nexus tablets with great hardware and even more functions and apps and you know why.

Why I am not impressed by Windows 8? I wrote that in the Windows 8 forum.

So yes, I think there's a solid foundation, but no, I don't think Microsoft impressed me by what they did in 2012.

Would it have impressed you more if Microsoft:

- Released a new service pack for Windows 7 instead of releasing Windows 8?
- Provided mobile Office suite for Android and iOS instead of releasing WP8?
- Added a hyper v client to the Nexus 7 instead of creating and releasing the Surface RT?

See, this the thing I don't get about you so-called "platform agnostic" types when it comes to MS. You complain to anyone who will listen about MS lack of innovation, how uninspired and stodgy Redmond is etc, but when something new comes from Microsoft - something different, the complaints turn to why did they have to change in the first place.

So what do you want? A start button on Win 8? Cheaper pricing on the Surface? Instagram?

I'm a Microsoft supporter and adopter because of all the pretty cool things coming out of Redmond lately; but I'm not going to thump my chest about how superior it is (I'll leave that to the Apple fans) because they're not superior. They have a lot of work to do - and hopefully the work will never end.

But if you are unimpressed with Microsoft, you must certainly be bored to tears with everyone else. That is if you are as impartial as you're trying to portray.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Microsoft supporter and adopter because of all the pretty cool things coming out of Redmond lately; but I'm not going to thump my chest about how superior it is (I'll leave that to the Apple fans) because they're not superior. They have a lot of work to do - and hopefully the work will never end.

Well, then I don't see why we should argue, we have the same opinion and this is exactly what I wrote.

But if you are unimpressed with Microsoft, you must certainly be bored to tears with everyone else. That is if you are as impartial as you're trying to portray.

I never said I'm impartial, I'm using Microsoft products and I don't plan to change that. (Not even at work what would make many things easier...) I always write I 'try' to see all sides. Maybe I'm harsher with Microsoft because I like the products and want them to be successful and impress me and other people, that could well be.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, then I don't see why we should argue, we have the same opinion and this is exactly what I wrote.

I never said I'm impartial, I'm using Microsoft products and I don't plan to change that. (Not even at work what would make many things easier...) I always write I 'try' to see all sides. Maybe I'm harsher with Microsoft because I like the products and want them to be successful and impress me and other people, that could well be.

A fair statement. You expect more as a consumer.

As you should.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I love Microsoft products!

WP is so cool, Windows 7 is awesome, dont have W8 yet but i hear good things... Xbox and Halo are my favourites :D

sdrawkcabII

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Microsoft is very boring, and clearly not innovative.

/Sarcasm

Read through the youtube comments; proof that anything Microsoft does is never enough, even if the concept has huge potential for solid, practical use in the near future. Some of the comments of disapproval are completely invalid.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Microsoft is very boring, and clearly not innovative.

Microsoft has had always awesome ideas, but only little made it to the market. For example, do you remember the this Kinect WP7 integration they announced so big? Have you ever heard of it since? Yeah right. :wink:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft had 2 goals in 2012:

1) Reinvent itself to compete in the new market.

2) Get some new horses to market.

They accomplished both. Great year.

2013 needs to be a year in which the consumers learn to see them in a new light, huge improvements are made to the new ecosystem, and they make Windows 8 the must have product. That, of course, will help WP8 grow.

Oh yeah- They need to hit a massive home run with a new XBOX. @sdrawcabl, that is a really, really fun concept.... :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb