Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
Like Tree53Likes
  1. Xpider_MX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    736 Posts
       #1  
    Really, what are they doing? I'm getting tired. Less apps than the rest, a long waiting for updates, poor game support...

    I love my Lumia 800, it is beautiful, it works fast, but I really feel "less" than the rest. I was looking for an app for logmein, nothing, for teamviewer? nothing... where are the games? even WP8 is slow getting games...

    I will wait some months but Microsoft is not helping at all...
    Novaone likes this.
  2. ltyarbro42's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #2  
    YOU ARE RIGHT! Because Microsoft is in total control of all that and they are choosing to flush a multi billion dollar investment down the toilet for ****s and giggles! Geewhiz those guys sure need to get their heads on straight or otherwise we will make yet another post about this!
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  3. Xpider_MX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    736 Posts
       #3  
    Ok, just report the post, I just need to express my opinion.
  4. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #4  
    It, quite frankly, is less. WP7 users were shunned, any way you cut it - with your Lumia 800, you have the second worst navigation suite on a modern OS (iOS and Android both have background navigation and spoken road names; the worst would be a non-Nokia Windows Phone 7 device) and the worst Skype experience despite Microsoft owning the company (no other platform is unable to receive Skype calls in the background).
    Novaone likes this.
  5. danish319's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    91 Posts
    #5  
    I so agree with you! I am a WP8 fan but it doesn't look like Microsoft is doing anything to increase it app count or attracts developers....Apple has so many apps because they actually focused and invested a lot money in getting developers to make apps for it. Apple literally had events to showcase the new releases n amount of developer support it has. Microsoft is doing NOTHING on that end...looks like Nokia is doing Microsoft part in increasing the app count in the store! Its SAD...
    Thanked by:
  6. Morq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #6  
    You're joking aye?
    How long wp8 have been around? Its already being updated. Wp7 getting update is something you should all be thankful for, if it was android you'd be long time forgotten and covered with spiderwebs.
    The only issue is lack of apps but again everything requires time to start spinning and it just started spinning with wp8.
    phatboy66 and xFalk like this.
  7. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    527 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,249 Global Posts
    #7  
    No. Developers saw cash, it wasn't Apple doing ****. They don't see cash for wp8 because of the number of users. Get your facts straight.
    HTC Droid Incredible(2 replacements) --> Nokia Lumia 900(Briefly)/Apple iPhone 4s --> Nokia Lumia 920(3 replacements) --> BlackBerry Z10(2 replacements) --> HTC One(3 replacements) --> Samsung Galaxy S4(Briefly) --> iPhone 5 --> iPhone 6+
    Thanked by:
  8. Ludwig1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #8  
    People must understand that mobile version of Win8 is just "a plus", not a core business for MS. WP8 is, and will always be, just a spartan and minimalist OS, with little market share. MS will never grow WP adding a lot of features or releasing a lot of updates.. they don't care, they don't need.
  9. Xpider_MX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    736 Posts
       #9  
    I just want to hear something, I want Microsoft don't being so quiet. I don't like iOS and I love metro, I want my phone with more support.
    Novaone likes this.
  10. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    969 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by danish319 View Post
    I so agree with you! I am a WP8 fan but it doesn't look like Microsoft is doing anything to increase it app count or attracts developers....
    I'm sorry, but WTF.

    Apple and Google have never had to pay developers to bring apps to their platform like Microsoft do. Apple and Google have never had to write apps for companies like facebook, Microsoft has. Microsoft is even writing Google apps (youtube) but Google won't allow them to publish it.

    Microsoft even went to the effort of re-writing the entire OS, to make it easier to port content from iOS/Android, still nobody bothers. Not only that, Microsoft made sure WP8 was as close as possible to Windows 8, yet even with that, developers can't be bothered.

    Litterally the only solution is Microsoft have to keep paying developers to bring their apps to WP8. But whats the point? Microsoft are throwing money around, even throwing money at companies like Rovio (angry birds) results in a sub-par port, which still ends up getting supported much slower than Android/iOS.

    I am willing to bet, with all the development costs, and all the money Microsoft are throwing at telcos, Nokia, developers, advertising, etc, i'm certain WP will be oweing Microsoft more than a billion dollars, probably far more. And the problem is, where do they stop?
  11. Gergolos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    #11  
    @ op:

    well...then wait for the mobile world congress... do you really think that MS would say something really big before the MWC? I don't think so... If they still don't bring some news dealing with new WP8 hardware and updates and so on... then you have my "like" my sir!
  12. henriknergard's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #12  
    I use WP8 myself (Nokia Lumia 920). But I have read that Microsoft only have around 20% marketshare if you put smartphones/tablets and PC:s togheter.
    I dont know if that are correct?

    But I think MS should put smartphones as priority no.1 if they will be relevant in the future, especially now when RIM-BlackBerry 10 are around the corner.
    For many smartphones/tablets will replace PC:s in many ways.
  13. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,509 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    #13  
    As long as they don't Microsoft Kin us, I'm alright ;-)
  14. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,253 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,278 Global Posts
    #14  
    I think a lot of people forget,

    Blackberry 80+ million installed base > Windows Phone 25-30(?) million installed base.

    RIM might be losing day-to-day sales but has a much bigger installed base. RIM could leap frog Microsoft if even half of those users jump to BB10. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that developers are looking to take advantage of new BB10 users. I think early numbers for BB10 will be huge (with most of that coming from corporations upgrading from BB7). The question is, will that growth be sustained?

    And like ltyarbro42 said, Microsoft isn't doing it on purpose. They've been paying devs, paying for commercials, paying for Nokia, paying paying paying since day 1. But money spent doesn't always translate into market share.
    Thanked by:
  15. WinFan1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by danish319 View Post
    I so agree with you! I am a WP8 fan but it doesn't look like Microsoft is doing anything to increase it app count or attracts developers....Apple has so many apps because they actually focused and invested a lot money in getting developers to make apps for it. Apple literally had events to showcase the new releases n amount of developer support it has. Microsoft is doing NOTHING on that end...looks like Nokia is doing Microsoft part in increasing the app count in the store! Its SAD...
    thats incorrect the reason they have so many apps is because early on people gave the iphone (who at the time had no viable competitor) a chance. Thus this immensely motivated developer support of the platform and so apple didnt need to invest anything into people making applications for the platform.
    Considering that people seem to shun anything that isnt apple or google its painstakingly obvious that MS RIM Ubuntu Mozilla WebOS are gonna have difficulty taking off when devs dont give them an opprotunity to shine and in basically look at the little picture as opposed to the big picture. The big picture being that if they were to make the sacrifice to make their services available on as many platforms as possible not only would they create strong competition in the mobile division but they would also maximize their own profits, unfortunately people look at the now money and dont look at the could be money. So naturally we end up feeling shafted by microsoft who hasnt done anything but create an enjoyable user interface across a variety of platforms, that work extremely well (besides syncing lol).
    Thanked by:
    eric12341 and phirefly like this.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    Microsoft isn't doing it on purpose. They've been paying devs, paying for commercials, paying for Nokia, paying paying paying since day 1. But money spent doesn't always translate into market share.
    Exactly!

    Microsoft's strategy of paying developers to port apps to WP has always been a terrible idea. Unfortunately, it was also necessary and their only option. However, it shouldn't and won't be an important part of Microsoft's tactics going forward.

    In fact, people calling for Microsoft to more actively manage the app-market and pick and choose which apps to finance, should reconsider. We have a name for markets where every development is directed and funded by the state (oops, I mean MS). It doesn't work.

    If developers only motivation is to cash in a check from MS, then there is little reason to publish an app that people will want to buy. Uninspired, feature-poor apps that almost never receive updates are the result. Updates are of particular concern: why would anyone spend months developing updates for an app, which couldn't get off the ground without subsidies in the first place?

    Microsoft will need an entirely different approach to crack the apps problem. If they continue to play the catch-up game, Microsoft will lose.
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori, willied, WinFan1 and 2 others like this.
  17. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,925 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,361 Global Posts
    #17  
    They just need to keep sales up and the app problem will eventually go away.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
  18. tiziano27's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #18  
    Windows 8 and WP8 are 3 months old, there are just a few million devices worldwide. It's too early to ask for every app. The platform is starting to gain some traction, the situation will improve in the following months.
    dgr_874 likes this.
  19. dootndo2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #19  
    The hardware is making its way to the market. As a developer, I'm very interested in getting into app development for WP8 and Windows 8. There is currently NO need in the market as most organizations are not on these platforms yet. Once they do, it will go crazy. Right now it's hobbyists and those that have extra time (or a dedicated business). Plus, it's all new for MS developers. It's going to take some time because as previously mentioned, it's all at once. I have Windows 8 on a tablet and a new Lumia 620 and love them both.

    dootndo2
    a5cent and dgr_874 like this.
  20. Zeroplanetz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    348 Posts
    #20  
    Ms could implement a strategy like say a dev needs to have an app but no upfront money, now if the app stays at a high download rate and or a high user rating for (x) amount of time then Ms could lets say, give them some bonus cash or something. Just would need to figure out how much bonus cash.....that would solve the dud apps we get.
  21. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by henriknergard View Post
    Microsoft only have around 20% marketshare if you put smartphones/tablets and PC:s togheter..
    The MOST inaccurate post in the whole thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by tiziano27 View Post
    Windows 8 and WP8 are 3 months old, there are just a few million devices worldwide. It's too early to ask for every app. The platform is starting to gain some traction, the situation will improve in the following months.
    I disagree with this "just born" argument. I was happy with this one, when it was WP7. We've waited 2 years and now if each iteration is going to be "born fresh" and if we "give it some time" - I don't see this as a work of a software giant, but only of some school nerds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroplanetz View Post
    Ms could implement a strategy like say a dev needs to have an app but no upfront money, now if the app stays at a high download rate and or a high user rating for (x) amount of time then Ms could lets say, give them some bonus cash or something. Just would need to figure out how much bonus cash.....that would solve the dud apps we get.
    They've done about 2 such competitions where they "feature" an app. I might be wrong, but WPC did cover those events.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 01-23-2013 at 04:57 AM.
  22. samyaras's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #22  
    I own a wp7 since its launch. Loved the OS and integration with services. Honestly, I am not worried about the apps.. All I need is good quality games. But that's not happening. I am starting to think that Microsoft is under estimating their own OS. They don't seem to understand its potential. If they cant manage it very well, they can probably sell the OS.
    textomatic likes this.
  23. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    The MOST inaccurate post in the whole thread.
    No, it's not, if Goldman Sachs is right.
    Microsoft has only 20% of total computer market, half of Google and trailing Apple, says Goldman Sachs | Computerworld Blogs
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I disagree with this "just born" argument. I was happy with this one, when it was WP7. We've waited 2 years and now if each iteration is going to be "born fresh" and if we "give it some time" - I don't see this as a work of a software giant, but only of some school nerds.
    From a technical perspective, the "just born" argument is a fact that can't be argued with. You can disagree only by being wrong. What you can do is disapprove of Microsoft's strategy.

    The next iteration of WP will likely also be "born fresh", but the implications and incompatibilities will be much smaller than they were between WP7 and WP8. MS has good reasons for taking this approach, they just aren't executing fast enough.

    WP8 is what WP7 should have been.
  25. Zeroplanetz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    348 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    They've done about 2 such competitions where they "feature" an app. I might be wrong, but WPC did cover those events.
    im not talking about featuring any one app but they can if they want. I'm saying do this model for every dev and every app. Because both would win being Ms and the dev, from having great apps. But the bonus money would be a one time pay out because well its a bonus money........... free apps and such already have ads and stuff that bring in revenue. But the bonus money is something for the devs to strive for..... it Ms was to make the cash amount right.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What is the company app store, how do you set one up?
    By the_tyrant in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 01:30 AM
  2. What is an NFC SIM card and why do I need one?
    By Landsharkk in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 02:28 AM
  3. Nokia announcing pureview on Monday. What is microsoft's announcement??
    By Siah1214 in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 02:42 PM
  4. Will MS and/or the OEMs ever do what is needed?
    By Joelist in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM
  5. What Will you Do if No Verizon/Sprint WP7 is Announced at Nokia World?
    By Bballbenb in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 05:06 AM

Posting Permissions