Acer selling more Google Chrombebooks than Windows 8 laptops

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Because they're incredibly cheap, and many people don't use much more than a browser anymore. Seems pretty straight-forward to me. Wouldn't be my choice either, but they obviously have a place in the market.

The price point they have them at now is a large part of the appeal I'm sure. When they were $400 no one was buying them.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
The price point they have them at now is a large part of the appeal I'm sure. When they were $400 no one was buying them.

Yeah. Although now that I think about my workday today, I don't think I've done a single thing that I couldn't do on ChromeOS. I'm gonna download ChromeOS and if it's not too slow in VirtualBox, see if I can make it through my whole work day tomorrow on it.

ImNickBarnes

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think the price of the Chromebooks will have something to do with outselling their windows devices, but in terms of price, they have to sell quite a few to equal one device running windows.

Myself, I'm not a huge fan of the Chromebooks, I think they're quite useless if I'm perfectly honest. Admittedly, I've only had a play on one for about 20 minutes, but that's all I needed to make my mind up... I don't understand how people manage to get by with simply, a browser.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
To me what's funny about Acer's statement is not only do they sell mostly inferior Windows 8 laptops, they also sell the inferior chromebook too (compared to the $249 Samsung Chromebook).

I can't help but chuckle reading the above comments (not in a disparaging way, rather in a "I guess I think differently" kind of way) mainly because I bought a chromebook just over a week ago (the Samsung one - what you thought I bought the Acer one after my comment in the first sentence? :grin:), largely because it was only $249, I had $75 in Best Buy gift cards that I hadn't used since Christmas 2011, and I wanted to check it out. I really like the chromebook for what it is. The chromebook boots up extremely fast - it takes me as long to log in as it does for the chromebook to cold boot - and the Chrome OS browser is very fast too. (Of course, my chromebook's home page/favorite tab, as is the case on my Windows desktops/laptops, is msn.com, so sometimes I search using Bing on Google's Chrome OS chromebook :grin:.) The chromebook is very light (2.4 pounds) and the battery life is decent if not spectacular (probably 6-7 hours or so). For the kind of things I like to do (blog on various tech, sports, and other sites, conduct internet searches on whatever item of interest pops into my head at a given time), a chromebook makes a lot more sense than a tablet. (To be fair, a Windows 8 laptop also makes more sense than a chromebook when I require broader, especially off-line, functionality, but the chromebook is cheaper than just about all Windows 8 laptops and it is better than a Windows OS device if you want to do quick web browsing from a cold boot.)

Based on the comments I've seen on various tech websites, I think a lot of people disagree with the following, but I view chromebooks as being more in the same consumer space as tablets than I view them as being in the same space as Windows OS laptops (though the latter is also true to some degree). Both chromebooks and tablets are fundamentally second devices that have some limitations but do certain things well (though the things chromebooks and tablets do well are a little different). The things chromebooks do well are more important to me than the things tablets do well; obviously the opposite would be true for some other people.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
To me what's funny about Acer's statement is not only do they sell mostly inferior Windows 8 laptops, they also sell the inferior chromebook too (compared to the $249 Samsung Chromebook).

I can't help but chuckle reading the above comments (not in a disparaging way, rather in a "I guess I think differently" kind of way) mainly because I bought a chromebook just over a week ago (the Samsung one - what you thought I bought the Acer one after my comment in the first sentence? :grin:), largely because it was only $249, I had $75 in Best Buy gift cards that I hadn't used since Christmas 2011, and I wanted to check it out. I really like the chromebook for what it is. The chromebook boots up extremely fast - it takes me as long to log in as it does for the chromebook to cold boot - and the Chrome OS browser is very fast too. (Of course, my chromebook's home page/favorite tab, as is the case on my Windows desktops/laptops, is msn.com, so sometimes I search using Bing on Google's Chrome OS chromebook :grin:.) The chromebook is very light (2.4 pounds) and the battery life is decent if not spectacular (probably 6-7 hours or so). For the kind of things I like to do (blog on various tech, sports, and other sites, conduct internet searches on whatever item of interest pops into my head at a given time), a chromebook makes a lot more sense than a tablet. (To be fair, a Windows 8 laptop also makes more sense than a chromebook when I require broader, especially off-line, functionality, but the chromebook is cheaper than just about all Windows 8 laptops and it is better than a Windows OS device if you want to do quick web browsing from a cold boot.)

Based on the comments I've seen on various tech websites, I think a lot of people disagree with the following, but I view chromebooks as being more in the same consumer space as tablets than I view them as being in the same space as Windows OS laptops (though the latter is also true to some degree). Both chromebooks and tablets are fundamentally second devices that have some limitations but do certain things well (though the things chromebooks and tablets do well are a little different). The things chromebooks do well are more important to me than the things tablets do well; obviously the opposite would be true for some other people.

I made it through yesterday using ChromeOS. It was kinda laggy in virtual box, so I made a bootable USB and booted off that. Worked pretty well, although not without flaws. I prefer Word to Google Docs, but I could function just fine in Google Docs. I could probably learn to function better if it's my sole word processor. Truthfully, for my workday ChromeOS was totally fine. I just ran into problems when I wanted to torrent the newest episode of Archer :angel:
Not everybody's day is the same though, and I'm fortunate that most of what I'm doing is browser-based or Word based.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well good, Acer has poor quality products anyway (brittle plastics), so why not pair up with a crappy OS too? And they're doing that on purpose because they didn't like Windows 8, and they still don't, that's why they're investing more on a free platform. Their loss.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i find it funny that "demand for googles POS chrome os" comes after a price drop and when acer is making their dirt products to run it. what are acers chromebook prices $10? **** acer i bought an acer windows 7 pc and it was horrid. speaker issues out of the box, slow as **** and cheap feeling...

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
What does a ChromeBook do exactly ? from my understanding Its Web Browser & nothing else ! I haven't used or seen one !

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
How much marketshare does Chrome OS has anyway ?

MAC is at 2% so i guess it has around 0.2% ?

Not bad for sure a horrible idea from Google, i guess they are selling that to Schools with little kids.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

Not bad for sure a horrible idea from Google, i guess they are selling that to Schools with little kids.
You shouldn't talk like that, since WPs marketshare isn't shining either.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

MACS are 7-10% now days.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb