Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42
Like Tree21Likes
  1. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    BB10's tiles seem more like WebOS's cards
    I haven't seen a Z10 in action yet, but that style of tile or widget seems more Android like to me.

    That swipe on the cards of the Playbook, that's webOS cards all the way. If the Z10 does that, that's disappointing.
  2. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #27  
    LOL this should surprise no one.

    They ripped off Nokia with the 8X.

    Samsung blatantly ripped off Apple.

    I hate to say it... but once you get east of Europe and West of the United States, the creativity level and originality drops to about zero.

    It's just a mad culture of copycats in that part of the world. It doesn't even seem to be considered dishonorable or immoral to imitate other people's work if you can't come up with your own. It's a cultural difference which I don't really understand, but it's pretty obvious unless you are purposely refusing to see it. American and European companies have lost billions over the years because of direct knockoffs and imitators coming from that part of the world. Patent law and ingenuity is just non-existent there.
  3. barne19801's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    40 Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    LOL this should surprise no one.

    They ripped off Nokia with the 8X.

    Samsung blatantly ripped off Apple.

    I hate to say it... but once you get east of Europe and West of the United States, the creativity level and originality drops to about zero.

    It's just a mad culture of copycats in that part of the world. It doesn't even seem to be considered dishonorable or immoral to imitate other people's work if you can't come up with your own. It's a cultural difference which I don't really understand, but it's pretty obvious unless you are purposely refusing to see it. American and European companies have lost billions over the years because of direct knockoffs and imitators coming from that part of the world. Patent law and ingenuity is just non-existent there.
    Everyone does it, including American company's. Htc and Samsung and the rest have improved on many things. Just because someone came up with an idea doesn't mean it cant, or shouldn't be improved upon.
  4. Bobert_123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,126 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowrand View Post
    It's my opinion that the Live Tiles on my Lumia are doing what few widgets that I use on my Nexus do, they just do it a different way. And they're the focal point of navigating the device.

    I get that you don't agree with me. My opinion remains unchanged.
    It is a fact that live tiles are not widgets...sorry if that contradicts your "opinion"...
  5. tekhna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert_123 View Post
    It is a fact that live tiles are not widgets...sorry if that contradicts your "opinion"...
    You're right insofar as they play a slightly different role in the ecosystem of the phone, but wrong in what they actually do, which is the exact same thing. A live tile dynamically displays information from a program that is not currently active. Which is exactly what a widget does.
    Thanked by:
  6. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert_123 View Post
    It is a fact that live tiles are not widgets...sorry if that contradicts your "opinion"...
    Live Tiles and widgets are functionally the same thing. If you want to argue semantics, go ahead.

    Live Tiles present information like widgets, just with a lot less functionality than widgets.

    If it makes you happy to disagree, you should do that.
  7. ClixT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    114 Posts
    #32  
    Honestly, it's not that deliberate compared to this.... lol

    Lumia Copy (p.s. It runs on Android)
  8. Doom At Last's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    #33  
    Nice design.
  9. shn'g's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyCori View Post
    The chassis looks more like a recolored Z10, IMO. Plus, this isn't directly WP8 related.
    this is exactly what I was going to say. Take away those speaker grills on top and bottom and it looks almost identical to a white Z10
  10. dukrem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    On Windows Phone, they basically ARE the Notification System - therefore more app developers make it a point to update them with badge counts or images, which is more than possible (and even technically superior) on Android (due to the lack of some limitations Microsoft places on Live Tiles in WP8).
    This! If Microsoft wants this to be the notification system there need to be less restrictions on what can be done with live tiles - how often they can update, content of the tile, layout of content on the tiles - all needs to be more flexible for this system to work. The restrictions were effective when the processing power was limited to single core in wp7, but now with dual core and soon quad core WP8 devices that are more efficient we can afford to have less restrictions on live tiles. I would love widget like ability for my live tiles.
  11. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,476 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts
    #36  
    Widgets are applets. Live Tiles are icons which display information.

    Widgets have interactivity. Live Tiles do not.

    Widgets are not Live Tiles and vice-versa.
    Thanked by:
  12. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #37  
    HTC is killing itself by outdating they're latest and greatest to fast. it's insane.
  13. sentimentGX4's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,092 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Live Tiles do nothing Widgets haven't been doing on Android for years now. They're functionally widgets. It's part of the reason why a lot of people just aren't buying the hype behind them. They can make their Android phones "theirs" just like any Windows Phone.
    I disagree with this statement. While Live Tiles are essentially widgets, they are a VASTLY SUPERIOR implementation to that in Android and it is NOT POSSIBLE to make your Android phone like a Windows Phone. Have you ever tried having a homescreen full of widgets on Android? How many widgets fit on one screen???

    Widgets have been around forever... On the PC before even Android and no one ever used them because their implementation is SO HORRIBLE. On Android, widgets will 1) have a serious toll on your cpu, 2) eat through your battery life, 3) take up a huge part of your screen, 4) consume data and 5) mostly look unorganized, sloppy, and aesthetically unattractive. Your Samsung Galaxy S III is not going to support as many widgets as live tiles on an ancient, first gen Samsung Focus.

    WIndows Phone has many flaws. I want Swype and multiple browsers and feel that Windows Phone is locked down. But when it comes to live tiles, I will acknowledge this is a unique feature of Windows Phone. As a matter of fact, I find the entire Android homescreen phenomenon to be a mess. Do you ever wonder why iPhone owners don't envy over Android homescreens? Or why Android modders are boasting about the battery life after killing/disabling background tasks? Its better to just not have a homescreen on Android at all.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 02-16-2013 at 05:53 PM.
  14. Averry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    293 Posts
    #39  
    I really think that phones looks hot. The iPhone is cool looking, but I hate touching it compared to the nice poly carbonate phones that Nokia and HTC have pulled off. So a Polycarb iPhone running Super Sense or whatever they call it might be compelling.

    I would love to see HTC actually sell the phones they deserve to, why the GS3 is so popular and the One X has had so little traction by comparison bothers me. But I know why, Samsung advertises like crazy.
  15. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    You're right insofar as they play a slightly different role in the ecosystem of the phone, but wrong in what they actually do, which is the exact same thing. A live tile dynamically displays information from a program that is not currently active. Which is exactly what a widget does.
    Their core functionality is different, in the way that they poll for information. There are blogs from several WP team members detailing the differences between the two. (like how a single widget causes more battery discharge than an entire start screen full of live tiles) Look them up yourself and get educated.
  16. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Averry View Post
    I really think that phones looks hot. The iPhone is cool looking, but I hate touching it compared to the nice poly carbonate phones that Nokia and HTC have pulled off. So a Polycarb iPhone running Super Sense or whatever they call it might be compelling.

    I would love to see HTC actually sell the phones they deserve to, why the GS3 is so popular and the One X has had so little traction by comparison bothers me. But I know why, Samsung advertises like crazy.
    I don't get it either. If I was gonna get an Android device, I would go with the One X over the GS3 in a heartbeat. With the exception of a few of the cool "S" features of the galaxy phone, the One X is the superior device in pretty much every regard.
  17. machina's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    #42  
    For the record..
    before Android OS came out (2008), there was something called Yahoo Widgets (2005)! look it up.
    There was also the Windows Gadgets in Vista (2007).
    So don't make it sound like Google invented widgets...

    IMO Google did nothing new with their OS.
    They basically took a Jailbroken iPhone and skinned it.
    The OS has no consistency whatsoever in terms of menus, icons and operation in general.
    And to top it off it's laggy even on the latest and greatest multi-core phones.

    This is where the WP UI shines.
    It's simple, clean and efficient.
    That's how Live Tiles are different.
    (whereas Widgest come in all sizes, shapes and colors. 2D / 3D. Transparent / opaque... = MESSY!!)


    HTC definitely copied Live Tiles. Not cool on their part.
    Last edited by machina; 02-20-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. <rant> Windows Phone 7 left in the dark
    By rdubmu in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM
  2. is this what windows phone 8 will look like?
    By bear_lx in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 03:45 AM
  3. Is there any windows phone homebrew?
    By ltyarbro42 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 09:34 PM
  4. Will a Windows Live ID that is associated with Window Phone 7, will it ever expire?
    By Donta79 in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 01:57 AM
  5. Do you think HTC should make exclusive Windows Phones?
    By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions