Bill Gates calls for more innovation at Microsoft after mobile "mistake"

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Technically speaking Gates says that he AND Ballmer are not satisfied with the current level of innovation. Though I'm quite sure the spin doctors will have a ball with this.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
The commentators are more fun to read than the actual article. Wp8/W8 are not MISTAKES, but how they were implemented and being somewhat half baked are. That's what Gates' is referring to and he's right. The whole Xbox Music fiasco is a disgrace and replaced a perfectly functioning Zune experience (albeit lacking some features). The whole OS is a great start, but definite tweaks need to be made in a hurry to right the ship and keep the momentum that it has been building going.

From where I'm standing, I can literally feel the momentum and excitement for Wp8 building and I'm starting to see quite a few handsets in the wild. But MS needs to fix some of the main issues fast before people start cross comparing them against iOS and Android.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The platform is not the mistake. How is offered and how Team Windows Phone has treated cell technologies is what has been a major mistake. Treating GSM gracefully while throwing broken China Mobile based coding and cell network encryption to CDMA 2000 is unacceptable. You can have the Lumias, 8X, 8S, and Ativs of the world, but when focusing on one cell technology (understandable that is the choice on most countries) while disrespecting carriers in Asia and the US which use the other technogy (and have in mind Japan and US carriers are mostly CDMA based using Qualcomm standards) shows a lot of bias. Microsoft got it all wrong when it comes to CDMA 2000, and now have to get that coding fixed before summer when is supposed to meet the current Qualcomm standards and get devices on carriers like US Cellular, C Spire, MetroPCS and especially Sprint in the US, and carriers in Japan like NTT Docomo.

I know some of you will say CDMA cannot do talk and surf at the same time and that is a "dying" technology with no path to evolve. Do research on 1X Advanced, EVDO Revision B, and SVDO before making such assumptions. Those do exsist and are being pushed by the newest Qualcomm coding and encryption standards, which are becoming the rule in the CDMA world, especially in the US (both by carriers and by FCC recommended standards which can become a mandate). However, I will agree with many here that someday Qualcomm (and all the CDMA carriers) must find a way to unlock devices (I mentioned how it can be done a while ago on the unlocking devices ruling thread).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa