will things get better for Windows Phone?

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll be honest here I have 12 WP7 devices for my company. plus one WP8 and 5 WP7 at home. I'm locked into T-MO for both home and business. I'm a big screen person and from the feed back I'm getting on the 12 L710 they all want larger devices. as do I. but it doesn't matter what MS does if the OEM's do not spread both high and low end devices across the carriers no way will I turn everything over to AT&T.. So my next device next month "personal" may not be a WP8 device. there are things people can do with Android that we can not do or have with WP8.. as a share holder in MS it's nothing but utter frustration. in the ho-hum attitude in getting things done. Apps hitting android and apple before our own, yes I can see the mind set well we will sell more there, true but it leaves a rotten taste for MS.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Of course it makes sense. Galaxy S2, S3, Note 1, Note 2 are a drop in the bucket when considering the total number of Android handsets sold. Every carrier around the world is peddling some kind of low budget Android device while not all carriers have WP devices. If Nokia can manage to get their low end devices on to more carriers, especially in Europe and Asia things will start to change. The market is saturated with Android devices so it will take some time to change that.

Go look at Amazon or Best Buy or where ever. Go look at the top-selling phones. They are all high-end phones. The GS3 sold 18 million units in Q3 2012 alone. 30 million GS3s in 2012. The Note II sold 5+ million phones already--and it's supposed to be a niche product that no one would buy.
I have no doubt that many many many low-end phones are being sold. But let's also not pretend that flagship Android phones aren't racking up massive sales numbers. Because they are.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest here I have 12 WP7 devices for my company. plus one WP8 and 5 WP7 at home. I'm locked into T-MO for both home and business. I'm a big screen person and from the feed back I'm getting on the 12 L710 they all want larger devices. as do I. but it doesn't matter what MS does if the OEM's do not spread both high and low end devices across the carriers no way will I turn everything over to AT&T.. So my next device next month "personal" may not be a WP8 device. there are things people can do with Android that we can not do or have with WP8.. as a share holder in MS it's nothing but utter frustration. in the ho-hum attitude in getting things done. Apps hitting android and apple before our own, yes I can see the mind set well we will sell more there, true but it leaves a rotten taste for MS.

Exactly, last month I was in a need of using LogMeIn for controlling a computer at work, but surprise, there is no support, but there are iOS and Android apps for things like this.

I'm getting tired of waiting the REAL support. But I love WP UI :(

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I think as long as MS keep pushing their "3 screens" and are as serious as they say about integrating all their devices. Recently MS execs flat out admitted that their policy of slow upgrade cycles like they pursued with Windows for years is no longer viable. So they say they're going to change how they do business with software updates.
But this, all of this is new. If you want to stick with this ecosystem I think you'd be well advised to be patient and expect that it will not be moving at breakneck speed like Android does. I don't think it's unreasonable to estimate that WP will more or less be on par with Android and iPhone, but that it's not going to really be noticeable until next year at the earliest.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I feel Windows Phone 8 is stagnant to be honest. At least with Android, each company has their own unique spins on it. Sony, Samsung, HTC, all have different UIs to an extent that differentiates one another. Then you have Google Nexus with the stock Android, which a lot of people like as well.

At this point in time, there is no difference in Windows Phones other than a handful of exclusive apps. Every Windows Phone looks like the other, which makes it stupid really, because why not just release one WP8 phone and market the **** out of that thing like Apple does with iPhone?

I really don't get what Microsoft is doing. This single platform, but multiple phones thing really doesn't work that well. Also, there is no longer any innovation with Windows Phone. Same as Apple, the OS has looked the same more or less since its beginning.

I would not bet on Windows Phone doing much in the future other than being a distant 3rd.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel Windows Phone 8 is stagnant to be honest. At least with Android, each company has their own unique spins on it. Sony, Samsung, HTC, all have different UIs to an extent that differentiates one another. Then you have Google Nexus with the stock Android, which a lot of people like as well.

At this point in time, there is no difference in Windows Phones other than a handful of exclusive apps. Every Windows Phone looks like the other, which makes it stupid really, because why not just release one WP8 phone and market the **** out of that thing like Apple does with iPhone?

I really don't get what Microsoft is doing. This single platform, but multiple phones thing really doesn't work that well. Also, there is no longer any innovation with Windows Phone. Same as Apple, the OS has looked the same more or less since its beginning.

I would not bet on Windows Phone doing much in the future other than being a distant 3rd.

Taken in a vacuum, maybe some of those points. But if MS brings together their multi device integration, and polishes up the Surface PRO tablet so that it gets the same battery as ARM tablets along with the processing power of laptops that cost the same price, then I could see more people using their windows 8 devices being drawn to the phones as well.

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
No. It'll always be terrible, and no one will ever buy them. No more apps will come, and the phones will just get worse. MSFT, HTC, and Nokia will all go bankrupt. Isn't that what happened to Apple?
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have used every platform of smart phone except IOS and by far I feel WP8 is superior in every way. More and more people are taking a closer look at my device and contemplating purchasing one. Many friends with Apple IPhones are not happy with their phone or apple.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I know we constantly say windows phone will gain market share get better etc but when will we really see it become the third platform? On a side note, do you think that windows phones on the low end offer a better experience than equivalent Androids because of the OS?

Yes!

weareinfinite

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Remind me.. Is it possible Microsoft is talking about new features at Mobile World Congress next week? Or have they said they won't be announcing anything?

Edit: Just looked into it.. I guess not. Bummer.

Btw, came across this page and really liked the "Smoked by Windows Phone" video: Windows Phone Showing How It. Not sure why Microsoft doesn't use stuff like this in their TV ads. Does such a nice job of showing off the simplicity of WP.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
But that's the problem--is that getting better? Things are certainly improving in some important ways, but after the huge launch of a new OS with new, competitive phones that was tied into the simultaneous launch of new desktop and tablet OS during a holiday season, WP still lost ground to iOS and Android. Windows Phone had a window between the launch of the iPhone 5 and the unveiling of BB10 to do something big, and they still lost marketshare. And now this year's line of Android phones is being announced.
I agree that things are improving, but it could be a long, slow climb out of the smartphone basement, rather than a big jump up. There's even more competition now than there was in the fall, as strange as that sounds.
Yes, that is really getting better. In all honesty, the o/s needs more polish - and it will get I'm sure. But it's ultimately up to consumers to make the decision.

And if you were expecting to wake up one day and read WP became #2 overnight, well....

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Why do you think that is? Ultimately developers want to make money. Period. They are completely o/s agnostic. They could give a flying poop about any o/s - it's nothing personal.

What I find kind of funny is although you are a MSFT shareholder, you may not continue to support your investment. But you expect others to/

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Bollocks. Android is Android. Regardless if it's on a G3, HTC or Experia. The shells may be different, but it's essentially the same experience. And users pay a price in the form of fragmentation.

But you're right - I can't tell the difference between my Ativ S and any other Windows Phone. I confuse it with with a Lumia 620 all the time. *rolls eyes*

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I know we constantly say windows phone will gain market share get better etc but when will we really see it become the third platform? On a side note, do you think that windows phones on the low end offer a better experience than equivalent Androids because of the OS?

A low end Windows phone will run faster & smoother than a low end Android (I had both), but in the end I still think the Android offers a better experience. It will still do most of the functions of an Android, but a Windows Phone still has the functionality limits of a Windows Phone.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Bollocks. Android is Android. Regardless if it's on a G3, HTC or Experia. The shells may be different, but it's essentially the same experience. And users pay a price in the form of fragmentation.

I never understood this. Don't they all have access to the exact same apps, with exceptions due to hardware?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I never understood this. Don't they all have access to the exact same apps, with exceptions due to hardware?

"Google Play uses your app’s stated requirements to filter it from devices that don’t meet those requirements.
This way, users never even see apps that won’t work properly on their devices. As long as you accurately describe your app’s requirements, you don’t need to worry about users blaming you for compatibility problems."

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I do think things will continue to get better for Windows Phone. Lets not forget that WP8 has only been out for 3.5 months and many of the phones that run it weren't out until after that. MS was not actively marketing WP7. I think they were holding out until they could fill the tablet gap in their ecosystem with Windows 8/RT. However, they are pushing forward now that WP8 and Windows 8 are out. In my opinion, MS has the best design for a consumer computing ecosystem available right now. They went from being a few years behind, to being way ahead of the competition when you look at the whole ecosystem as a result of Windows 8, WP8, and Surface. MS just needs to polish and market their ecosystem and they will catch up on market share over the next few years.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Another thing as well But this really MS can't help One can walk into any carrier and walk out with a high end Android device. the same can not be said about WP8 as there is only one and it's exclusive in the states.This really hurts the OS. I think it hurt sales for Nokia as well. Yes the L810 is nice but the wvga errr no thanks. When you look at the sales of mobile devices the big sales are all high end......

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Another thing as well But this really MS can't help One can walk into any carrier and walk out with a high end Android device. the same can not be said about WP8 as there is only one and it's exclusive in the states.This really hurts the OS. I think it hurt sales for Nokia as well. Yes the L810 is nice but the wvga errr no thanks. When you look at the sales of mobile devices the big sales are all high end......

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but if I did, then almost every one of those statements is wrong:

1) Ignoring Nokia's supply issues, the Lumia 920 is available almost everywhere in the world. In only two countries (that I am aware of) is the Lumia 920 exclusive to specific carriers.
2) You can walk into almost any telecom shop in the western world and pick up the Lumia 920. Again, only in two countries is this otherwise.
3) World wide, the overwhelming majority of sales are made at the low end! Only in western continental Europe and the U.S. do high end devices make major contributions to sales volume.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786