The future of live tiles

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I love the way the live tiles work on Windows Phones, but there could be one major improvement in my opinion.

What if the tiles are sized based on your interaction with apps? Just as an example;

- You make little phone calls; the tile is re-sized to the smallest possible
- You text a lot; the messages tile is the biggest possible
- You play games often; the games you play are pinned to the start screen and are sized based on how often you play them
- Apps and/or games that you hardly play are removed from the start screen

A simple points based system could be utilized here and it would be very easy to implement for Microsoft. Its function I suppose, would be similar to a tag cloud, call it a tile cloud instead. Also, giving users the ability to turn this feature on/off in settings would be great.

In my opinion this would be a worthy update to WP and would be a major feature and perhaps selling point.

What do you think???

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
While interesting and neat idea in principle, I think it would be somewhat disorientating every time you find out that your Live Tiles have suddenly shifted in size and location while your phone was locked even if that change would be based on your personal preferences. There's also the problem that users can find some items important even though they don't access them too often. Weather Live Tiles for example.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
You are right, it would be slightly disorientating. I would personally prefer it though.

The feature could be expanded to implement static and dynamic weights for tiles. So a weather tile could always be where you initially put it until you move it yourself?

Anyhow, this was also the reason I mentioned an on/off setting. If it is useful to someone they can turn it on, if not it can be turned off :)

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
While a neat idea, not sure how many people would want it. It would definitely need to be turned on/off. But most users take the time to set their tiles up the way they want them. The grouping, the size, the flow. Having that change on it's own would undo what time has been spent setting up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon