Will WP8 devices get WP9 (or Blue)

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry about that guys ! Worrying about future updates ruins the experience .

Use your phone for what it is & what it can do RIGHT NOW ! & not for what it MIGHT do ! Something I learned from Android .

according to the Rumors , we will get Blue ! its too soon to worry about Windows Phone 9 right ?

just my 2 cents

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry about that guys ! Worrying about future updates ruins the experience .

Use your phone for what it is & what it can do RIGHT NOW ! & not for what it MIGHT do ! Something I learned from Android .

according to the Rumors , we will get Blue ! its too soon to worry about Windows Phone 9 right ?

just my 2 cents

This isn't just Android, its true for WP7-7.5/7.8 as well. I cant imagine how it "ruined" Lumia 900 purchase for so many last year around this time. Its been a year since then, honestly what are they missing? Nothing. Still expectations for future killed Lumia 900 left, right and centre.

Nick Garza

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Based on what do you believe that to be true? Blue, yes, WP9, I would claim otherwise
They have made it pretty clear that windows phone 8, unlike 7 because of the kernel, is able to be updated to something like windows phone 9. Wp8 is completely different that wp7. That's the reason 7 is only updated to 7.8

Nick Garza

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
There are clear reasons why wp7 did not get wp8. I suggest doing some research. It will take care of some of the worrying/speculating here. Wp8 is NOT wp7. It will be able to be updated to wp9.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Like stated previously, people that worry about getting WP9 obviously have no clue why WP7 didn't get the WP8 upgrade.

WP8 and beyond share the same kernel as W8. These two OSes are getting more frequent updates that will bring more shared features across the two OSes. That's what Windows Blue is all about. WP7 was built on the outdated kernel. Its was pretty much obsolete the day it launched as the new kernel was completed and released only a few months later.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They have made it pretty clear that windows phone 8, unlike 7 because of the kernel, is able to be updated to something like windows phone 9. Wp8 is completely different that wp7. That's the reason 7 is only updated to 7.8

Not to be rude, but in my view your post is little more than unsubstantiated fluff. Not made up by you personally, but by an internet community engaged in a huge game of Chinese Whispers (a.k.a telephone).

It is symptomatic that nobody on your side of this argument can deliver a single quote, directly attributed to MS, which clarifies the matter.

You say MS has made its WP8 update policy pretty clear. Okay. Show me! Show me a quote attributed directly to MS that makes MS' intentions clear. So far, all we have is "WP8 will have an upgrade path" and "WP8 will receive updates for 18 months". IMHO that is nowhere close to being "pretty clear".

So far, the best people can do is link to technically illiterate bloggers taking a stab at interpreting MS' statements. Those interpretations are reliably 99% BS, but are repeated ad nauseum nevertheless. The more professional sites, like WPC, ended up being just as vague on the matter as MS themselves, which is the only honest position anyone can take at this time.

Look, I'm not saying WP8 will be instantly dropped after 18 months. I consider it certain that all WP8 devices will get every update, up to and including Blue, but already that is little more than informed speculation. To my understanding, WP9 is the next big update after Blue. Many here at WPC are practically guaranteeing, that all WP8 devices will get this WP9 update, which IMHO is highly speculative, since MS has said no auch thing.

I think many are fooling themselves. I've explained elsewhere in more detail why I believe so.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Like stated previously, people that worry about getting WP9 obviously have no clue why WP7 didn't get the WP8 upgrade.

WP8 and beyond share the same kernel as W8. These two OSes are getting more frequent updates that will bring more shared features across the two OSes. That's what Windows Blue is all about. WP7 was built on the outdated kernel. Its was pretty much obsolete the day it launched as the new kernel was completed and released only a few months later.

I think you are making the technical argument (technically impossible due to kernel change yada yada yada). Few with actual expertise in this area buy into that argument.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i think MS will do a sort of Apple thing...they will officially announce Blue and later, WP9, when they are ready to be distributed and not like half-year before...

and my friend a5cent, tho i also use the kernel argument to why WP7 devices didn't get WP8, i also have another one...business!! it's as simple as that!!
they want to sell, that's obvious, but if they upgraded their old devices with WP8, who would buy the new? surely pplz would still buy, but most of them would just stick with their old device running a new upgraded system...want proof? many pplz are still sticking with WP7 despite the fact 7.8 is the last update...imagine if they had gotten WP8!

Android works in a similiar way...OEMs and carriers won't update old devices to make pplz buy the new ones with the most recent versions...for example, i had an Xperia Mini before my Lumia 620...and if i wanted JB, i would have to buy a new device since 2011 devices apparently aren't eligible for JB (which i think is BS, Sony gave Xperia J the JB update but despite being a 2012 device, it's an entry-level one, far inferior to the 2011 high-ends)...again, it all sums up to one thing: business!!

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Not to be rude, but in my view your post is little more than unsubstantiated fluff. Not made up by you personally, but by an internet community engaged in a huge game of Chinese Whispers (a.k.a telephone).

It is symptomatic that nobody on your side of this argument can deliver a single quote, directly attributed to MS, which clarifies the matter.

You say MS has made its WP8 update policy pretty clear. Okay. Show me! Show me a quote attributed directly to MS that makes MS' intentions clear. So far, all we have is "WP8 will have an upgrade path" and "WP8 will receive updates for 18 months". IMHO that is nowhere close to being "pretty clear".

So far, the best people can do is link to technically illiterate bloggers taking a stab at interpreting MS' statements. Those interpretations are reliably 99% BS, but are repeated ad nauseum nevertheless. The more professional sites, like WPC, ended up being just as vague on the matter as MS themselves, which is the only honest position anyone can take at this time.

Look, I'm not saying WP8 will be instantly dropped after 18 months. I consider it certain that all WP8 devices will get every update, up to and including Blue, but already that is little more than informed speculation. To my understanding, WP9 is the next big update after Blue. Many here at WPC are practically guaranteeing, that all WP8 devices will get this WP9 update, which IMHO is highly speculative, since MS has said no auch thing.

I think many are fooling themselves. I've explained elsewhere in more detail why I believe so.

You say MS wont upgrade WP8 devices to future OS releases. We know based on the core upgrade that it is possible and will work with the new core. You still insist that it wont happen. Okay. Show me! Show me a quote attributed directly to MS that makes MS' intentions clear. So far, all we have is "WP8 will have an upgrade path" and "WP8 will receive updates for 18 months". IMHO that is nowhere close to being "pretty clear".

So far, the best people can do is link to technically illiterate bloggers taking a stab at interpreting MS' statements. Those interpretations are reliably 99% BS, but are repeated ad nauseum nevertheless. The more professional sites, like WPC, have stated that WP8 devices will get WP9. Daniel Rubino and Jay Bennett who seldom makes statements that they can't back up with insider information, stated this on the WPC podcast.

Look, I'm not saying WP8 will be instantly dropped after 18 months. I consider it certain that all WP8 devices will get every update, up to and including Blue, but already that is little more than informed speculation. To my understanding, WP9 is the next big update after Blue. Many here at WPC are practically guaranteeing, that all WP8 devices will get this WP9 update, which IMHO this is fact.

I think many are fooling themselves. I've explained elsewhere in more detail why I believe so

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
@Dave

C'mon Dave! I don't expect a soaring intellect from everyone here, but you're better than that. I really don't know if I'm to take you seriously.

You've taken my own post and thrown it back at me with slight modifications, which for the most part makes little sense...

Not to be rude, but in my view your post is little more than unsubstantiated fluff.

Look. You (and those on your side of the argument) are the ones claiming to actually know what Microsoft's update policies are, and how they intend to apply those policies to current WP8 devices. I claim only that neither I nor anyone else can know those policies, given only the sparse statements MS has so far made on the topic.

So, apparently, you want me to substantiate that I don't know something? That's obviously a logical fallacy. My claim that something is currently unknowable is the premise of my entire argument, so turning the bulk of my own post against me makes absolutely no sense. Hence, I'll just concentrate on the sections you modified.

We know based on the core upgrade that it is possible and will work with the new core.

Not every possibility is turned into reality. Technically, WP8 also ran on WP7 hardware, but that update didn't happen either.

You say MS wont upgrade WP8 devices to future OS releases.

Yes, and you are saying the same thing. You've just forgotten. Some future OS release will not run on current WP8 hardware. Neither you nor anyone else on this site disputes that a cut-off point exists. The question is not "if", but "when". Apparently, you are privy to Microsoft's roadmap and know where this cut-off point lies. So, why not just tell me and be done with it then?

I have no doubt that WP8 will receive many updates. I think WP8 devices will get the 'Blue' update. IMHO, that is perfectly acceptable and I wouldn't be at all bothered if current WP8 devices wouldn't get the next big update after that. I know little about Microsoft's plans after 'Blue', so I don't pretend to know. Do you know, or are you too just making assumptions?

Many here at WPC are practically guaranteeing, that all WP8 devices will get this WP9 update, which IMHO this is fact.

So, which is it, "your humble opinion", or "fact"? It's either opinion or fact. It can't be both. If this is a fact, and even just a shred of evidence exists to back it up with, I should be easy to convince. Why haven't you?

Daniel Rubino and Jay Bennett who seldom makes statements that they can't back up with insider information, stated this on the WPC podcast.

Daniel and Jay do a fantastic job. The world would be a better place if everyone was held to their standard of journalistic integrity. I've enjoyed many of their podcasts, but decided to skip the last one because I'm not that interested in hearing about individual apps and games. Apparently that was a mistake. I'll check up on it later. If either of them say they have solid evidence that WP8 devices will get updated to WP9, then I'll gladly believe them and stop spreading uncertainty.

However, if their evidence is based on insider information, then that entirely validates my point! If you need insider information to know, then all those yelling at me don't know. They are just pretending to know.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
@a5cent look everyone in this thread is saying the same thing. No one knows for sure what will happen. Even if Microsoft make OS upgrades available to all WP8 devices that is no guarantee that the carriers wont stop it from happening. What I am disagreeing with is you insisting that future updates wont come. Your argument is no more plausible than the contraire. Now we are all reduced to speculation the field is even. WP7 and WP8 are two different animals the updated kernel puts WP8 on the same playing field with Windows. We can compare the facts at hand and twist them however we want but its still just a mute argument.

Here is my mute argument. The reason Microsoft made the core change? To make WP OS more adaptable to future hardware. What is the Microsoft update schedule? Microsoft is trying to make WP update schedule mirror the Windows OS. Can Windows 7 be upgraded to Windows 8? Yes it can on most hardware. Even most Windows XP and Vista devices work with Windows 8. This "IS" the Microsoft update schedule and this will carry over to Windows Phone.

MinnesotaSteve

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The change in kernels between WP7 and WP8 is the reason why the applications aren't backwards compatible. The whole developer SDK changed, the way you write apps changed... what you compile for WP8 won't run on WP7. That's true, we all know that.

The kernel is not why a Lumia 900 can't be upgraded. The kernel is just software. The reason why the Lumia 900 can't be upgraded is because Microsoft didn't want to spend the money making it work. This is what they stated in the announcement, so I don't see why that's in question. We don't know the exact reason, it most likely was writing new drivers or possibly working out a way to upgrade the boot loader, or it could simply be that they tried it and WP8 didn't perform due to the single core CPU.

The thing is, nobody has any idea if this also won't be true when WP9 comes out.

The real question that I would be asking is if they're going to change the way software is developed yet again. Like let's say .NET vNext comes out, will that be available on WP8?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What I am disagreeing with is you insisting that future updates wont come. <snipped> Your argument is no more plausible than the contraire.
This is disappointing. I've taken care not to insist on any such thing.

Obviously, I'm not sold on the idea that current WP8 devices will get upgraded to WP9 (or whatever MS labels the next major version after 'Blue'). I don't buy your argument either. However, I completely agree that all our arguments are mute. We can't backup any of our arguments, because none of us have enough information to do so. That is exactly why I didn't actually offer any such argument! Anywhere. Despite having one of course.

Throughout this entire thread my point has always been that we can't really know. I approached this by trying to explain how Microsoft can fulfil everything they have so far committed to (which isn't much), without that necessarily leading to a WP9 upgrade. Apparently that isn't coming across.

@a5cent look everyone in this thread is saying the same thing. No one knows for sure what will happen.
Everyone is saying the same thing? Really? Already the second post in this thread answers the question "Will WP8 devices get upgraded to WP9", with a confident and unambiguous "yes it will". Many of the posts that follow are just as clear. In my book that doesn't at all constitute "everyone saying the same thing".

If at this point the majority realizes that we can't and don't really know, then I'll consider my goal achieved.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05