Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42
Like Tree2Likes
  1. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    411 Posts
    Global Posts
    935 Global Posts
    #26  
    Oh, so much crying over rumor and speculation.
  2. failed1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #27  
    No its not a new OS. Sort of like Mango.
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
  3. calfee20's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    #28  
    One possibility not mentioned is free for win8/RT and another cheap upgrade for XP Vista and win7.
    Thanked by:
    blackprince likes this.
  4. travisel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by calfee20 View Post
    One possibility not mentioned is free for win8/RT and another cheap upgrade for XP Vista and win7.
    Don't know if "BLUE" update is apart of the upcoming SP2 for Windows 7 family? It seems most people with x86 is moving from 32-bit Windows XP SP3 to 32-bit Windows 7 SP1 and soon SP2.
    ATIV S is LIFE
  5. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
       #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    I like the idea of W8, but what shipped as W8/W8RT was neither consistent with WP8 nor finished. From that perspective Windows Blue should be a free SP1. On the other hand, they released W8 at a very low price, so they might want to compensate by charging for Windows Blue. It's anyone's guess, but a subscription model? OMG no, that would suck.
    I wouldn't overlook that idea if they are indeed going to a faster update schedule. I wouldn't mind something similar to Office and Office 365. Either pay a one time for one machine or a subscription fee and install it on multiple machines.
  6. #31  
    Some rumors say that they will merge windows 8 into all platforms .. Instead of windows phone 8 it will we be a windows 8 phone
  7. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,217 Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by the real smackbo View Post
    Some rumors say that they will merge windows 8 into all platforms .. Instead of windows phone 8 it will we be a windows 8 phone
    And that's puuure BS. They share the same Kernel, but that will be it. Windows 8 can't fit on a phone without massive storage as already noted with Surface storage issues. And they should be different OSes. The use cases for the 2 is verrry different.

    They built it as W8, WP8, and Xbox for a reason. 3 screens and the cloud.
  8. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,058 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,092 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    NT 6.0 Windows Vista
    NT 6.1 Windows 7
    NT 6.3 Windows Blue or 9

    NT 7.0 Future

    Because making NT 6.3 now is putting Windows 8 to death. Microsoft put all there effort in the new NT 6.3 Kernel instead of updating and fixing NT 6.2! Microsoft still working on SP2 for Windows 7.....there to spread out...it's very frustrating...

    I have been a Windows user since Windows 3.11 For Workgroup.
    It would be less frustrating if you just accepted that this is all just idle speculation and rumor mongering from people who want hits on their sites. It is probably just a Windows 8 update, not the death of either Windows 8 or Windows 9. As is demonstrated through multiple sources, including the fact that Microsoft personnel identify themselves on LinkedIn as being on the Windows 9 team at the same time as the Windows 8 team is very much alive and well, there are (as usual) multiple projects underway. Even the subject of the 6.3 kernel is speculative since 1) a screenshot means nothing, 2) it hasn't been acknowledged or defined by Microsoft, and 3) in as much as Blue is acknowledged it is the first effort at a fast track incremental Windows 8 update. There is nothing real to demonstrate it unifies platforms nor is there anything that shows it is optimized for smaller tablets that do not even currently exist nor anything of bona fide substance at all for that matter. That it has been occasionally attributed as a code name for a future WP8 fast track update is also not confirmed and (even if true) could mean nothing more than they have lumped the independent update programs under the same organizational roof. Yes, there is a plan to unify across platforms but it is only the internet speculators who say definitely it is Blue and then say it is not and then say it is again. Give it a few months and people will know more. Microsoft has been pretty free with such information for quite some time when they have moved things along far enough to give them a timeline.
    Thanked by:
    Chregu 
    Chregu likes this.
  9. #34  
    To me there seems to be a pattern occurring with the Winows platform. If you go back 14 years Microsoft has been releasing operating system test beds without actually discloing it. I may be completely wrong and correct me if I am, but go back to 2000 when MS released Windows ME, that to me seemed to be a test bed for Windows XP, and windows Vista a test bed for Windows 7, so with that being said, this windows blue might be the real deal. Imagine windows 8 as vista - the public are not liking it, some say its not finished ect. As much as they may be wrong (which I think they are) Microsoft probably never intended windows 8 to be its permanent new OS, that might be windows blue. I remember when Windows XP had a service pack 1 update, which brought loads of performance and stability enhances as well as some new features , in other words the current windows 8 may be another Vista or ME, because Vista was never intended to be a permanent OS, neither was ME, so Microsoft may have the basic "structure" of windows phone and windows 8, waited for the public reaction and the bug lists to come through, fix them and there we may have it. Ttwo OS for two devices that will have the same impact as Windows XP and 7, if this makes sense. Because Vista, visually is very similar to windows 7, windows 7 just looks watered down (though it isn't) but aesthetically it looks cleaner. Windows phone 7 may have also been a test OS for 8. Im may be wrong but this is what I see MS's progressing structure to be, because Microsoft, whatever product they release eventually thy have to get right.

    Also it makes you wonder why Microsoft launched windows 8 and are still selling it so damn cheaply, 25 ? ! I reackon they are trying to get as many people on it as possible for the reasons mentioned above.
    Last edited by Oliver Newell; 02-27-2013 at 01:23 PM.
  10. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
       #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Newell View Post
    To me there seems to be a pattern occurring with the Winows platform. If you go back 14 years Microsoft has been releasing operating system test beds without actually discloing it. I may be completely wrong and correct me if I am, but go back to 2000 when MS released Windows ME, that to me seemed to be a test bed for Windows XP, and windows Vista a test bed for Windows 7, so with that being said, this windows blue might be the real deal. Imagine windows 8 as vista - the public are not liking it, some say its not finished ect. As much as they may be wrong (which I think they are) Microsoft probably never intended windows 8 to be its permanent new OS, that might be windows blue. I remember when Windows XP had a service pack 1 update, which brought loads of performance and stability enhances as well as some new features , in other words the current windows 8 may be another Vista or ME, because Vista was never intended to be a permanent OS, neither was ME, so Microsoft may have the basic "structure" of windows phone and windows 8, waited for the public reaction and the bug lists to come through, fix them and there we may have it. Ttwo OS for two devices that will have the same impact as Windows XP and 7, if this makes sense. Because Vista, visually is very similar to windows 7, windows 7 just looks watered down (though it isn't) but aesthetically it looks cleaner. Windows phone 7 may have also been a test OS for 8. Im may be wrong but this is what I see MS's progressing structure to be, because Microsoft, whatever product they release eventually thy have to get right.

    Also it makes you wonder why Microsoft launched windows 8 and are still selling it so damn cheaply, 25 ? ! I reackon they are trying to get as many people on it as possible for the reasons mentioned above.
    It certainly looks that way, but I think its just a natural progression.

    Windows 8 is going up to $199 sometime this week I think.
  11. Curtieson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,322 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,331 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    It certainly looks that way, but I think its just a natural progression.

    Windows 8 is going up to $199 sometime this week I think.
    It did that 4 weeks ago, guys.

    Link
    Thanked by:
  12. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,107 Posts
    #37  
    I think what people are missing here is that Blue is not just a update, it's supposed to change how Microsoft works. Mary Jo Foley said Blue will stop the 3-4 year cycles on a OS and Microsoft will move more towards what we already see in mobile world. More of larger and smaller updates, more often.

    You should not think Blue as Windows 9. Also it will supposedly be many updates, there's no single big Windows Blue update.
  13. edoug's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    117 Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Newell View Post
    - the public are not liking it, some say its not finished ect. As much as they may be wrong (which I think they are) Microsoft probably never intended windows 8 to be its permanent new OS, .
    I have to disagree oath you here. As long as the control panel is split between two very different interfaces there is no way to truly consider it finished! Management of windows 8 is still fractured between touch and keyboard & mouse. Other than that, I agree with you.
  14. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Newell View Post
    To me there seems to be a pattern occurring with the Winows platform. If you go back 14 years Microsoft has been releasing operating system test beds without actually discloing it. I may be completely wrong and correct me if I am, but go back to 2000 when MS released Windows ME, that to me seemed to be a test bed for Windows XP, and windows Vista a test bed for Windows 7, so with that being said, this windows blue might be the real deal.
    To a degree you are correct. I'm not sure I'd make a connection with WinMe as it was just a disaster with no purpose. I wouldn't say test bed, but certainly paradigm shift to move the market.

    Windows Vista was a paradigm shift to 64-bit computing. It didn't run well on 32-bit hardware, but if you had 64-bit and over 4 Gigs of RAM it was great. If you notice with Windows 7 everything is basically 64-bit now.

    Windows 8 I think is a test bed for a new UI, touch screen interface and so on. Whatever is Windows 9, or Blue or whatever is next, will be an evolution of that.
  15. ny_yankees's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    #40  
    So I guess I should hold off on buying a Surface Pro with Windows 8 until Windows Blue comes out? Since I already have a Win 7 Laptop and I could put at least another 2 good years on it.
    -Verizon HTC 8x Blue
  16. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by edoug View Post
    I have to disagree oath you here. As long as the control panel is split between two very different interfaces there is no way to truly consider it finished! Management of windows 8 is still fractured between touch and keyboard & mouse. Other than that, I agree with you.
    I do agree with you to be honest. I don't think Microsoft will ever bring out a new OS and call it permanent, what I guess I was trying to say was I don't think Microsoft is intending the current windows 8 as their 5 year long lasting OS like Windows XP for example. Im guessing that what ever Microsoft bring out next be it this Blue update will probably be an evolution of windows 8 as we know it, if that makes sense
  17. #42  
    I know exactly what you are on about. In the beginning of 2008 I got an Acer laptop, think it was the Aspire 7720. Now I cant remember any of the specs because back then I wasn't computer literate but it was a high spec one, it has a built in subwoofer and the acer logo on the back used to light up white. Something tells me it was a 15 inch screen, but it ran Vista and I thought it was brilliant. One of the most reliable computers I have ever had. Like you said that must had been running some high specs because it was very stable for me. I remember thinking how much more interesting and modern it looked compared to XP.
    But as regards windows 8 being the start of some new things for Microsoft I think that is definitely the case. Whether we are talking about this Blue update or windows 9, I don't think either will be a million miles apart from windows 8, aesthetically talking, what's under the bonnet may well change a lot. Microsoft has to get it right because so many people use and run windows, they have to please a wide customer base.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Blue
    By benrp in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 06:48 AM
  2. Internet Explorer 11 spotted as part of Windows Blue
    By afgzee in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
  3. Windows phone 8 Blue. Will cost?
    By Parktreeone in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
  4. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM
  5. New OS from Microsoft: Windows Blue?
    By twint7787 in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions