So sick and tired of these old people whining about Windows 8

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree if people just took the time to just learn the new stuff, they would have no problem with it. But as the user omniusovermind said these "drive by" reviewers are what's killing the Windows 8 reputation. It's really annoying to see a great product having a hard time in the market because of incorrect information.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
couldn't help but laugh at this thread...I'm in my mid 50's...not sure if you consider that old or not but I absolutely love Windows 8. Probably the most innovative, new and different thing I've seen in an operating system in quite a while. I've got a 28 year old daughter and 16 year old niece who think Windows 8 is, in their words, "weird" and "******ed" (my apologies...scolded the 16 year old about that) My daughter's fianc? doesn't care for it either...(well he's a programmer and into Linux so he kinda doesn't count) Not all "old' people complain about Windows 8 and not all young people are as accepting of change as you think.

Windows 8 is...groovy man, groovy........

Lol sorry I wasn't trying to be an agist, just observing that most, not all, in the older generation are the ones who are having the most trouble with Win 8 and hence why we are getting so many negative reviews of Win 8. Now of course I have seen people in my generation complain too and usually those are people who are not very tech savvy

oliveone

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I began programming 52 years ago and have been confused by every new release in every system since then. Only takes about half an hour to get my mind right, tho. Then all is cool again.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Like it or not windows8 is a UI travesty on the desktop, using a vertical touchscreen is exhausting and leaves you looking at a dirty mess.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Took me 2 weeks to get used to a few changes in how I did things. Now I wouldn't go back. BUT: First time in installed the beta, I uninstalled immediately, It was painful. MS needs to do a better job to get a "how to" out to new users.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Oh my god windows 8 sucks, windows xp for the win!
And seriouslly, windows 8 is pretty good with ten times better performance then win7 and metro allows easy multitasking, but i would like to see more "usefull" apps and better sync with other microsoft products.

Lucaat

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am 26 and I think Windows 8 sucks. I have a 24" screen desktop PC. Metro makes no sense on it. I hate it. I LOVE it on a Windows PHONE but not on a desktop PC. So I complain. Deal with it :D

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I think some of you are having trouble with Metro on your mouse/keyboard PC is because: You keep forcing yourself to use it! Don't. Simply switch over to the desktop and stay there. There's no reason you need to use the Metro UI on a regular no-touch desktop PC. No reason at all. So stop trying to force yourself into using it just because "it's there". It's there as a bonus for touchscreens, that is all. I never used the Start button menu on my Windows 7 machine, it simply wasn't needed for anything at all. There was no point in taking 1 added step to start up a program in Windows 7 either when you could just pin everything to your desktop/taskbar. Name me one task you needed to use the windows 7 start button for that you can't do equally well without it on W8. Just kidding, that was a rhetorical question because there isn't.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I think some of you are having trouble with Metro on your mouse/keyboard PC is because: You keep forcing yourself to use it! Don't. Simply switch over to the desktop and stay there. There's no reason you need to use the Metro UI on a regular no-touch desktop PC. No reason at all. So stop trying to force yourself into using it just because "it's there". It's there as a bonus for touchscreens, that is all. I never used the Start button menu on my Windows 7 machine, it simply wasn't needed for anything at all. There was no point in taking 1 added step to start up a program in Windows 7 either when you could just pin everything to your desktop/taskbar. Name me one task you needed to use the windows 7 start button for that you can't do equally well without it on W8. Just kidding, that was a rhetorical question because there isn't.

I use a lot of Metro apps, such as games etc, as well as Metro Skype, Metro IE, Metro WP app, etc. So the Metro apps are a boon to me, and they aren't desktop. I love using Metro apps even without touch-screen, so your point could collapse there. Most people will struggle to get used to it though.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I use a lot of Metro apps, such as games etc, as well as Metro Skype, Metro IE, Metro WP app, etc. So the Metro apps are a boon to me, and they aren't desktop. I love using Metro apps even without touch-screen, so your point could collapse there. Most people will struggle to get used to it though.

I think the point stands fine though because it was directed towards those who don't like using it ;)

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't really like w8, it looks really good, but it is confusing that there are 2 homescreens and some programs open in one homescreen and other programs open in the other one. It looks way to chaotic. I have to be honest, I haven't used it for long yet, but there is indeed a (sometimes frustrating) learning curve, and I'm wondering if the learning curve is worth all the trouble.

There are things you can do to prevent what you are describing. There are two types of apps on Win8; touch optimized and keyboard/mouse optimized. You need to configure your default programs and start screen with apps that are appropriate for the system you are using. By default, Win8 leans more towards touch optimized apps. For example, if you double click on a JPEG image it will open in the full screen touch optimized "Photos" app. On a tablet this would probably be fine, on a laptop/desktop with one or more large screens it's usually not. However, the default program for images can easily be changed to "Windows Photo Viewer" (or your favorite third party program) so that it stays in desktop mode. Try some of these things and see if they help...

1)
Install the desktop programs that you actually plan to use on your system. This may sound silly, but a lot of people complaining about Win8 have just played with a fresh install or even just a store demo PC. It's easy to get the feeling that Win8 can't do much when all you have to play with is notepad, calculator, and some stock touch apps.

2)
  • Open control panel (you can click the start button and just start typing "control panel") >> Programs >> Default Programs >> Set Default Programs.
  • Select Windows Media Player (or your favorite installed third party media player) from the list and then click "set this program as default".
  • Repeat this step for Windows Photo Viewer and any other programs that you want to use instead of the touch optimized versions. Some desktop programs may need to be installed first if they don't come with Windows (i.e. Adobe Reader for PDFs in desktop mode). Windows Media Player and Windows Photo Viewer are the two big ones though since in Win8 all media files (images, audio, video) have been defaulted to open with the Photos, Music, and Videos touch apps.

3)
On your Start Screen, right click on the touch optimized apps that come with Win8 and unpin them (or at least the ones you don't plan to use). You can also uninstall them if you are sure you have no use for them. Pin "My Computer", "Control Panel", and any other desktop programs you know you will use frequently. In other words, customize your start screen with programs you actually intend to use on that system.

When you are done doing these things you wont be jumping out of the desktop (except when you want to get your Angry Birds fix) and you will probably find that Win8 is just as productive as Win7 on a desktop computer.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
3)
On your Start Screen, right click on the touch optimized apps that come with Win8 and unpin them (or at least the ones you don't plan to use). You can also uninstall them if you are sure you have no use for them. Pin "My Computer", "Control Panel", and any other desktop programs you know you will use frequently. In other words, customize your start screen with programs you actually intend to use on that system.

When you are done doing these things you wont be jumping out of the desktop (except when you want to get your Angry Birds fix) and you will probably find that Win8 is just as productive as Win7 on a desktop computer.
For Control Panel, etc, pressing the win key + x will bring up the power user menu that allow one to get to those settings quickly.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Control panel is super easy to get too. Move mouse to start corner (where start button used to be) when the Start Screen preview shows up, right mouse click.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, go ahead you young whipper-snappers. Keep moaning about us older folks and our "resistance to change". Just remember, this ain't Logan's Run, you WILL pass 30 someday. When y'all get near 50 I'll be laughing my ass off when the next big thing comes. Again.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Windows 7 Home Edition did in fact come with Media Center.

On topic... No it's not generally the "older" people whom hate Windows 8, and I think it's unfair to say such. I've seen and heard more young people, normally Google, or Android users slate the OS. So in my opinion it's more something that is being driven by a very vocal fan-base than some "old" guys.

I agree with this. Remember Windows 8 uses the Windows Phone tile paradigm. If you don't like the tile paradigm (and will therefore avoid WP like the bubonic plague) then you'll also despise Windows 8. Because the tiles are how people perceive Windows 8. First perceptions are very powerful, and just like first impressions, they are a royal pain in the butt to change.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Windows 7 Home Edition did in fact come with Media Center.

On topic... No it's not generally the "older" people whom hate Windows 8, and I think it's unfair to say such. I've seen and heard more young people, normally Google, or Android users slate the OS. So in my opinion it's more something that is being driven by a very vocal fan-base than some "old" guys.

Home premium had it, sure. But win 7 had way more iterations than needed. No confusion with win 8. Its win 8 or win 8 pro (not counting RT).

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Besides. This guy complained about it costing him more than Win7... Even after I explained how Win8 pro is actually cheaper, even at full price. This is compared to the win 7 launch pricing

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
it doesn't matter what you think. Bottom line is Windows 8 was a poor decision and Microsoft is paying for it by the low adoption rate and overall negativity surrounding it. If your theory is true in that old people can't understand windows 8 well then Microsoft have failed in catering to that market and it's their fault not the old people's fault.

Have you ever heard the phrase the customer is always right? How can you even write this topic blaming the consumers when it's Microsoft's fault.

There wasn't any negativity surrounding Windows 7, in fact people embraced it. Put out a good product and people will like it, put out a poor product such as Windows 8 and people won't simple as that. Any type of software that has as steep a learning curve as the Windows 8 is not a good product for the masses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster