Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree27Likes
  1. nube_android's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #1  
    I love my Lumia 920, but keep hearing and reading negative comments about how the build quality sucks, WP is dying, Nokia will die etc, and I am thinking about taking it back for an Android. I just can't decide! Will WP just remain a niche player with no apps forever? I don't know, I just need some encouragement. Keep me from switching back to android!
  2. #2  
    I say don't let all the negativity around here get to you. Android has had this same issue (lack of apps) until 2011 and still does in some areas so the app situation will improve.
    Thanked by:
    cedarlog and Laura Knotek like this.
  3. jaimeastin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    353 Posts
    Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    #3  
    Just enjoy the phone whip you have it. I have been a windows user for a while, but has and android, iPhone, pre, blackberries, windows mobile 5, 6,6 5, 7,8... Who knows where we will be next year.

    WP8 is amazing for me. SkyDrive, office, the camera on my 920, endomondo lol, Nokia here, etc. I am very happy. Usability, I crush my friends with iPhones almost all the time with pure functionality.

    Make it yours.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek and Tomanband like this.
  4. CSJr1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    209 Posts
    #4  
    I've had a Droid X and iOS. WP8 is the best OS for me. Many people have different opinions, but if WP is the best for you then don't let detractors get to you. I enjoy the OS experience with WP, something I couldn't say with iOS or Android which I think is more defined by skinning, cooked ROMs and apps. The apps are coming in, but that's just icing on the cake.
    Thanked by:
    cedarlog and Laura Knotek like this.
  5. MSFTisMIA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    #5  
    OP, as long as your 920 does exactly what you bought it for very well, and you've never had any hardware problems with it, just block out all the yammering from those who needlessly bash the platform using sounds from the videos shot with that class leading camera.

    Remember that many of the Android folks who bash WP8 would spend days having orgasms flashing ROMs on the 920 hardware wise if Android was on it. You've got a good piece of tech, man. As much as I like the versatility of my Galaxy Nexus, whenever I use my Lumia 810, I'm constantly reminded of hardware + software wise why I chose WP8 as my primary OS...it just works in such a smooth and well blended kinda way.
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 03-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  6. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,917 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSFTisMIA View Post
    OP, as long as your 920 dies ...
    .
    :'( that wasn't very nice
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
  7. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    16,896 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    :'( that wasn't very nice
    I think he meant to say "does". It looks like a typo, based on the rest of his post.
    Thanked by:
  8. MSFTisMIA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I think he meant to say "does". It looks like a typo, based on the rest of his post.
    Thanks. It was a typo that's now fixed. You'd figure I'd get a break with all the bad spelling on WPCentral...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  9. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #9  
    I love my Lumia 920, but keep hearing and reading negative comments about how the build quality sucks, WP is dying, Nokia will die etc, and I am thinking about taking it back for an Android. I just can't decide! Will WP just remain a niche player with no apps forever? I don't know, I just need some encouragement. Keep me from switching back to android!



    If I was in your position, I would take it back. The platform is lacking a time table and doesn't have anything concrete. When that happens you kinda have to ask yourself, can i trust it as things are going so far?



    I don't like to be lied or constantly told its coming.



    And don't start the bs with me as i have spent $50 + on both my phone and windows 8.



    So i yeah you are in a lucky position. If you start to miss WP, just skin your android to look like it.

    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex
  10. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,818 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSFTisMIA View Post
    Thanks. It was a typo that's now fixed. You'd figure I'd get a break with all the bad spelling on WPCentral...
    One letter, and it changed the whole meaning of the thread, that was all. I missed the typo'd bit, didn't see it until now, but yeah, with some of the mega burps I've seen over on the news articles, you would think you'd catch a break.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  11. MSFTisMIA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    One letter, and it changed the whole meaning of the thread, that was all. I missed the typo'd bit, didn't see it until now, but yeah, with some of the mega burps I've seen over on the news articles, you would think you'd catch a break.
    Yeah, well i guess those are the breaks. Still, if the OP doesn't want his 920, he can send it to me and I will surely put it to good use...love the phone but not interested in AT&T...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  12. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nube_android View Post
    I love my Lumia 920
    And that is really all that matters.
  13. clbarker10's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    126 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyCori View Post
    And that is really all that matters.
    Well put.
    14/55 Cell Phones

  14. WPhantom's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    #14  
    Coming from a long time power user(root user) of Android. Android app store is full of duplicate apps. And still many apps are chinese and not useful, use Gingerbread SDK and has old sucky UI, feels cheap even after owning a phone with Jellybean. I'm recently switching to WP8. I have been a long time Android fanboy and been bashing WP8. Android is good, but unless Google starts controlling it, I'm not moving back.
    Thanked by:
  15. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,917 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSFTisMIA View Post
    Thanks. It was a typo that's now fixed. You'd figure I'd get a break with all the bad spelling on WPCentral...
    Sorry bout that. I was just joking :) my post was taking your post way out of context.

    As far as bad spelling goes, I'm one of the worst offenders. :/
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  16. nube_android's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by WPhantom View Post
    Coming from a long time power user(root user) of Android. Android app store is full of duplicate apps. And still many apps are chinese and not useful, use Gingerbread SDK and has old sucky UI, feels cheap even after owning a phone with Jellybean. I'm recently switching to WP8. I have been a long time Android fanboy and been bashing WP8. Android is good, but unless Google starts controlling it, I'm not moving back.
    Tell me about it now.
  17. Cleavitt76's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    303 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nube_android View Post
    I love my Lumia 920, but keep hearing and reading negative comments about how the build quality sucks, WP is dying, Nokia will die etc...
    Don't take all the negative stuff so seriously. It's the Internet after all. You can find negative comments about kittens, rainbows, and Mother Teresa on the Internet. There are probably websites dedicated to bashing each of those things. If you own a 920 then you know that the build quality doesn't suck. It's arguably the best built phone on the market right now. You also know that Nokia has created a solid product so there is no need for Nokia to die (they are profitable again as of their last earnings report).

    WP is just getting started and while MS doesn't beat their chest like some other companies, it's clear to me that they are committed to the WP platform. Do you think they revamped the iconic start menu UI in Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, and Xbox 360 to match WP live tiles just to throw WP away a year or two down the road? Do you think they made the effort to bridge the gap (tablets) in their ecosystem between the desktop/Laptop and WP just to drop WP and create a new gap at a later time? WP may still be lacking some apps and it may have a few rough edges (still smooth compared to android), but make no mistake about it, MS is committed.

    I honestly believe that MS has the best overall ecosystem available at the moment and that by this time next year the WP platform is going to be in a much better position. Having said that, I'm very happy with the platform as it stands now and I enjoy being involved with something that is different and innovative.
    Last edited by Cleavitt76; 03-05-2013 at 01:35 AM.
  18. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,818 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleavitt76 View Post
    Don't take all the negative stuff so seriously. It's the Internet after all. You can find negative comments about kittens, rainbows, and Mother Teresa on the Internet. There are probably websites dedicated to bashing each of those things. If you own a 920 then you know that the build quality doesn't suck. It's arguably the best built phone on the market right now. You also know that Nokia has created a solid product so there is no need for Nokia to die (they are profitable again as of their last earnings report).

    WP is just getting started and while MS doesn't beat their chest like some other companies, it's clear to me that they are committed to the WP platform. Do you think they revamped the iconic start menu UI in Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, and Xbox 360 to match WP live tiles just to throw WP away a year or two down the road? Do you think they made the effort to bridge the gap (tablets) in their ecosystem between the desktop/Laptop and WP just to drop WP and create a new gap at a later time? WP may still be lacking some apps and it may have a few rough edges (still smooth compared to android), but make no mistake about it, MS is committed.

    I honestly believe that MS has the best overall ecosystem available at the moment and that by this time next year the WP platform is going to be in a much better position. Having said that, I'm very happy with the platform as it stands now and I enjoy being involved with something that is different and innovative.
    You can find negativity about the word positive on the internet too.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek and Ranak Mann like this.
  19. JerseySal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    594 Posts
    Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    #19  
    Base your decisions on what you want...not what popular consensus is. To me, the "cool" crowd in any topic of discussion aren't really the cool ones. They're the sheep that want to be "part of something." They're all turds, and only your opinion counts.
    ~Sal
  20. nube_android's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    You can find negativity about the word positive on the internet too.
    Thanks. You made a great point concerning Microsoft redoing almost every business they have to shift towards mobile. I didn't really think about that, and I still have yet to understand why so many Ifans and fandroids stir up trouble on this site, of all of them.
    Last edited by eric12341; 03-05-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Don't call people trolls
  21. MihirParkar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #21  
    Infact, the Lumia is so sturdy that you can literally crush iPhones with it..

    Quote Originally Posted by jaimeastin View Post
    Just enjoy the phone whip you have it. I have been a windows user for a while, but has and android, iPhone, pre, blackberries, windows mobile 5, 6,6 5, 7,8... Who knows where we will be next year.

    WP8 is amazing for me. SkyDrive, office, the camera on my 920, endomondo lol, Nokia here, etc. I am very happy. Usability, I crush my friends with iPhones almost all the time with pure functionality.

    Make it yours.
  22. #22  
    Honestly who are we to sway you away from your love or push you to love a goat? At the end of they day, you are the one who is head over heels for this phone. People say stuff, it's stuff. Everyone wants to write something to get more clicks on their website, but that won't change how you feel. If you are content, happy and like everyone said, getting what you want - you are in the best relationship ever. Trust me, it's better than a woman on many occasions!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  23. bb10_fan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    #23  
    Can someone, please, explain me why do you keep mentioning SkyDrive and Office as big pluses of Lumia series? Basically any platform has tons of various cloud-based solutions and having vendor independent solution is always better (yes, some people have 2 phones with different OSs to take advantage of both of them). And Office, did any of you ever used Office on your 4.5 inch screen, with the worst ever WP keyboard?

    P.S. don't get confused by my nickname, I'm currently a WP user and impatiently waiting to switch to BB10
  24. theta orionis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #24  
    Sounds to me like you're not satisfied with WP8 and perhaps have already made up your mind. Rather than me extoll the virtues of the platform I'd just say get the BB...or an Android...or an apple phone. Plenty of OS to go around; get the phone "you" want and be happy.
  25. MFmonster's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #25  
    I think the person is mentioning SkyDrive and Office as pluses not for the Lumia series but for his phone, wp, in general. I have used office on a smaller screen and from in our house with four top end devices, the WP has the best keyboard, IMO. I am not confused by your name, BB10 fan, as you clearly state you are switching to BB10. Hence you are a BB fan an not a WP fan, which is all good in the universe. I find postive and negative in all the OS's and ecosystems.

    With this subject you can insert any device and OS into the subject line. In fact if you go to Crackberry, Droidcentral, etc you will find posts similar in some way. The responses will usually be a mixed bag from kind, insightful, angry, and strange. Some responses may feel WP is awesome and the OS is smooth and effecient. Another comment, like WasteNoTime's comment, will be negative about the ecosystem because an application is not in the marketplace yet and the developer does not have a release date. Which, I don't know why WasteNoTime you feel "lied" to and the lack of a timetable is a slight annoyance, but is truly no different than other OS's. Finally the comment I prefer to the topic is to choose the device and OS that works for you. I prefer WP and IOS and even though I like the galaxy SIII hardware and my wife loves the device, I am not a fan of google nor the OS.

    My opinion which means nothing to anyone as it is relates to my presonal preference, feelings, and needs. All of which are different than others. Some people use twitter and instagram all day long, personally I have zero use for it and find humor that others need attention so badly that they post pictures of the bagel they ate in the morning and the running shoes they never use. The lack of applications is only a slight annoyance. The biggest annoyance on WP8 is Xbox Music/video. Having other devices I can honestly say out of thousands of applications on ios and android we use maybe a few consistently. Having options and applications are nice don't get me wrong, and are a positive for any OS.

    Also, the internet is full of people with an agenda. My friend has apple stock. Spreads the word of Apple and tells everyone the "Bill Gates Machine" is the devil. He knows zero of WP, W8, etc. He has an agenda. People lie and create issues to further "their" cause. "People are Strange"...

    In other words. Depending on what you use your phone for and your likes/needs will determine if WP or any OS is for you. Don't let anyone tell you different and remember if they are so passionate about telling you something is one way they have an agenda. ::End Rant::
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your faith in WP8
    By Invaderhim in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM
  2. That's some ol' BS, Google. Give me a Windows Phone!!!
    By HeyCori in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions