Smart watches are the next trending devices and microsoft will be late to the party.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft makes good products, but they make them one to two years after everyone else. Our smartphones will inevitably migrate to our wrist one day since it is much more convenient and if Microsoft think that no one will buy a smart watch they are wrong, because there is a need for improved watches.

I hope Microsoft will take the best decision possible. I believe that Microsoft took too long to modernize itself and now they are struggling.

Let me know what you think about smart watches and do you think being late could hurt Microsoft once again?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think other companies are too early with smart watches. Kinda like how Google Glass is ahead of its time. I certainly have no intention of replacing my traditional, fashionable wrist watch with a touchscreen version of a calculator watch I wore in the 80s.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think other companies are too early with smart watches. Kinda like how Google Glass is ahead of its time. I certainly have no intention of replacing my traditional, fashionable wrist watch with a touchscreen version of a calculator watch I wore in the 80s.

My thoughts too. I think both ideas are ahead of it's time and at this time Microsoft, Apple or Google would have to pay me a good chunk of money to wear either their smart glasses or smart watches.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I just don't think smart watches will really take off... Just a tired extension of your phone.

More and more people forgo even wearing watches now. I love yo wear a watch, nice ones at that, but I still leave them at home most of the time.

I think it will be a quick fad... Now, for a smart watch that is designed to be used in certain circumstances like a gps watch for training is a little better.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

I don't think it has much in common with the watch you use in the 80's hahaha

People didn't need Smartphones at first, same for tablets and now they are bought in incredible quantities. We think it's useless, but in two of three years we could all have one.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Who knows.... I just don't see myself wasting any "time" with a smart watch.

More and more I realize that these technologies that are supposed to help save time end up taking mode time with constant hand holding, monitoring, etc. If your phone ring, check it. I don't need to waste my time charging a watch or checking my watch for missed called, texts, email, only to have to then go to my phone anyhow. Why waste the time.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
They will need to VASTLY improve speech interfaces and recognition to make a watch or similar tiny device useful enough for everyone to want one. Think Star Trek Comm Badge.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
With all that said, I may try one in the future just for knowledge...

Smartphones were not that smart. Give it some time and smart watches will replace your smartphone. Were not in the 90's anymore, technology evolves faster and faster and soon taking your phone out of your pocket will be considered as a waste of time.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Smartphones were not that smart. Give it some time and smart watches will replace your smartphone. Were not in the 90's anymore, technology evolves faster and faster and soon taking your phone out of your pocket will be considered as a waste of time.

I can definitely appreciate the future you're trying to paint, but the question was if MS was late to the party? I just don't see smart watches taking off 2 or 3 years from now. There's still no evidence that any current smart watches can outperform or be more useful than my L920 in the near future. So I say, no they're not, they still have time.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I just hope the screen is 1080P.

Seriously, though, there really isn't a practical way that a device the size of a watch can replace all the functionality of a smartphone.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
In the near future, maybe. But I would certainly prefer a fashionable smart watch to a regular watch. I love trying new interfaces and devices.

As for when it will take off, I expect it to take off on day one, have a big buzz and fade away for a while then come back as an all-in-one device that you carry around.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I just hope the screen is 1080P.

Seriously, though, there really isn't a practical way that a watch can replace all the functionality of a phone.

that's because you limit yourself to what you already know. We always tried to improve everything we ever created we would have never had smartphones, self-driving cars, virtual assistants(that actually understand and answer to you) and all those nice gadgets we created over the years. Smart watches might cover your whole forearm in the future.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
that's because you limit yourself to what you already know. If we never tried to improve everything we ever created we would have never had smartphones, self-driving cars, virtual assistants(that actually understand and answer to you) and all those nice gadgets we created over the years. Smart watches might cover your whole forearm in the future.

Then that isn't a smart watch. Pulling your sleeve up all the time would be more impractical than pulling a phone out of a pocket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb