Should I buy a WP8.5 this year, or wait til WP9 next?

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey this is sort of almost obvious question. But, should I get the newer Windows Phone this year?, or wait til next year? Really, this is kinda about the tick-tock schedule. If last year was the tick, then this year would be the tock, right?

I'm on T-Mobile, and generally my contract ends in like December. But, I stop paying for my phone in like August. So, i can upgrade whenever i want really. And I'm really liking this new pricing they have. ~ But, should I jump on the tock-schedule this year, or wait til next for the new tick, next year?

I have a HTC Radar on 7.5. Its never-ever gonna get 7.8. But I use Zune subscription; I have a buncha mixtapes, and documents on Skydrive, and have unlimited data on T-Mobile

I'd rather a Microsoft Surface Phone, but it really seems more and more that this isn't the year for that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Um, use the 7.8 tool to update your Radar. What do you use the phone to do besides music? What are your must have features?

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Um, use the 7.8 tool to update your Radar. What do you use the phone to do besides music? What are your must have features?

I couldn't figure out the 7-8ty tool, so I stopped. I mean it still goes 110%, like I need it to.

Must-have?.. Uhm, I can't think of any I want, I guess.. Speed, I guess?. ~ I wouldn't know..

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
If you aren't upgrading until August then just wait and see what drops in the fall (Sept.-Nov.) for the next version of WP (Blue/9?) and then you can decide what device fits your needs best. WP8 devices will 99.9% get WP9 or whatever it's called since the switch of the Kernel is what orphaned 7.x and won't happen again for a long time.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If you aren't upgrading until August then just wait and see what drops in the fall (Sept.-Nov.) for the next version of WP (Blue/9?) and then you can decide what device fits your needs best. WP8 devices will 99.9% get WP9 or whatever it's called since the switch of the Kernel is what orphaned 7.x and won't happen again for a long time.

OP, I'd follow this. We should be seeing some interesting hardware in the fall, so you just may get better bang for your buck then. Don't get me wrong, but unless you'd had a specific need like wanting the best cam on the market (920) or you really liked the design of the 8X, then waiting is good.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Blu3V3nom07, I'm in the same boat as you. My contract is up on my Evo 3D on Sprint at the same time as the Ativ S(?) is being released here in the US. I'm wondering if I jump on the Ativ S, if I will regret it by the holiday season when other devices are released and the outcome of the Blue rollout. I was disappointed about the fate of the Surface phone too. Hopefully I can also pickup a Surface Pro with a Sprint LTE card inside by the holidays to go with my new windows phone. My backup plan is to grab the S4 and wait it out, but I really want a windows phone. BTW...I'm not leaving Sprint so my choices are limited.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Blu3V3nom07, I'm in the same boat as you. My contract is up on my Evo 3D on Sprint at the same time as the Ativ S(?) is being released here in the US. I'm wondering if I jump on the Ativ S, if I will regret it by the holiday season when other devices are released and the outcome of the Blue rollout. I was disappointed about the fate of the Surface phone too. Hopefully I can also pickup a Surface Pro with a Sprint LTE card inside by the holidays to go with my new windows phone. My backup plan is to grab the S4 and wait it out, but I really want a windows phone. BTW...I'm not leaving Sprint so my choices are limited.

I like how your story's like mine. Uhm. Well Sprint did confirm to get on Windows phone.I'm wondering thoug, about their actual plans, about that ATIV S, and HTC Tiara. ~ So, come the 8.5 Microsoft launch, Sprint might not get on that bandwagon so earnestly, but stick with the ATIV S. Very interesting..

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I like how your story's like mine. Uhm. Well Sprint did confirm to get on Windows phone.I'm wondering thoug, about their actual plans, about that ATIV S, and HTC Tiara. ~ So, come the 8.5 Microsoft launch, Sprint might not get on that bandwagon so earnestly, but stick with the ATIV S. Very interesting..

The ATIV S is a fine phone. Wish it was on T-Mobile - it was second on my wish list after the 920. That Tiara is probably the new HTC mid-ranger rumored a few weeks ago.
I doubt Sprint will launch anything new WP8 wise if new hardware comes out this fall...so OP, do your research first before you decide.

fredolay69

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'm waiting until Apple launches an actual OS, but I suppose WP10 will arrive long before that happens...

LOL! Next year is iPhone 6, with another row of apps! How about that!!! (Not literaly) As long as apple does absoloutly nothing to re-invent their OS, I will forever remain on windows phone. One of these days, developers will get smart and realize that everyone is going to start buying windows phones,. and then Windows Phone will become the new IOS. I am sure people will eventualy get bored of the same crap being released every year by apple....or will they???

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
LOL! Next year is iPhone 6, with another row of apps! How about that!!! (Not literaly) As long as apple does absoloutly nothing to re-invent their OS, I will forever remain on windows phone. One of these days, developers will get smart and realize that everyone is going to start buying windows phones,. and then Windows Phone will become the new IOS. I am sure people will eventualy get bored of the same crap being released every year by apple....or will they???

People these days have the mentality that they absolutely NEED the latest and the greatest. All the time. So im so sure it'll keep selling no matter how much it doesn't change. Which is sad. But as smart consumers, it is our responsibility to realize their tactics and not fall prey to it :)

Nick Garza

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey this is sort of almost obvious question. But, should I get the newer Windows Phone this year?, or wait til next year? Really, this is kinda about the tick-tock schedule. If last year was the tick, then this year would be the tock, right?

I'm on T-Mobile, and generally my contract ends in like December. But, I stop paying for my phone in like August. So, i can upgrade whenever i want really. And I'm really liking this new pricing they have. ~ But, should I jump on the tock-schedule this year, or wait til next for the new tick, next year?

I have a HTC Radar on 7.5. Its never-ever gonna get 7.8. But I use Zune subscription; I have a buncha mixtapes, and documents on Skydrive, and have unlimited data on T-Mobile

I'd rather a Microsoft Surface Phone, but it really seems more and more that this isn't the year for that.
Windows Phone 8 will be updated to 9 when WP9 actually comes out.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
OP, I went to WP8 because of a hardware and philosophical reason. I liked the hardware...the S4, Adreno 225 (probably Adreno 320 in WP8 Gen 2 devices) is proven. And i liked the idea that the hardware I buy will get updates for the next 18 months guaranteed, and possibly longer once upgraded to WP9.

So, if you're thing is hardware, I'd wait until the fall to see what else T-Mobile will get. But if it's a T-Mobile device right now...the 8X has better design, screen, slightly better audio and more versatile camera...the 810 has wireless charging (change the plate), more storage overall (microSD slot), better exclusive app support and is cheaper.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My motto with tech: The sooner I buy, the sooner I can upgrade to the next.

I can understand and relate to that, but many buyers aren't able to upgrade so easily. The OP is really is a win-win on T-Mobile...becuae there are no contracts he can wait and get a WP8 Gen2 or get very good Gen1 hardware. With the OS evolving, he cannot lose either way...

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I can understand and relate to that, but many buyers aren't able to upgrade so easily. The OP is really is a win-win on T-Mobile...becuae there are no contracts he can wait and get a WP8 Gen2 or get very good Gen1 hardware. With the OS evolving, he cannot lose either way...

Yea! I wanna hear that! That's great. @_@

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

You do realize you are asking people to tell you what to do with respect to two OSs that do not yet officially exist? No one can give you legitimate advice on this subject at this time. In the end, when one or both exist, it should also be about what matters to you rather than anyone else.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I am on T-Mobile as well, but on the monthly 4G program. I currently have the HTC HD7 updated to 7.8 via sinlessearth's instructions here on this site. I am very happy with my phone, but am jealously eyeing the Lumina 810. With the new no contract program on T-Mobile, the monthly price is decent and they are actually selling the 810 about $100 dollars less than before, or through Microsoft.

Given what is hear is that WP 8 devices will be able to be updated to whatever is coming next, there is not much of a decision for me. In the short time I am not aware of new technology that will be a "game changer" so I expect new phones to be an incremental change or an aesthetic change. Given that, one can either always wait for something new to pique their interest, or simply go with what is available at the time. I am tending to think I will in fact go with the Lumina 810 within the next couple of months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss