- 05-07-2013, 03:35 PM #1
I have been thinking about something which kinda annoys me with WP home screen that I wish & hope MS will change. At the top of the screen where the signal bar/battery meter is not always visible is too much dead unused space. I have uploaded 2 pics of my home screen to show you what I mean. One pic I moved the home screen slightly upwards to show you that if that dead space is used you can fit more tiles on screen. With it not used you see half them tiles,too much black area. Even with this area used better the signal and battery meters can still be seen.
What do you all think??
05-09-2013, 09:02 PM #4
- 407 Posts
Its for toast notifications and the drag down bar.
Basically the space is there so that when you receive a toast it doesn't obscure the tiles.
Like above i always ocd my screen to a perfect fit, doesn't really bother me but i do get your point. Anyway, that's its purpose.
05-09-2013, 11:19 PM #5
- 288 Posts
The space is there for a specific purpose:
To make sure that the last row of Live Tiles is only halfway visible. This establishes a visual cue for the users about the direction of the scroll and that there are more Tiles available beyond the bottom part of the screen. This is a foolproof way to make sure any user even without any previous experience with touch screens will understand how the Start screen works.
Furthermore, is it really that big of a deal? You could gain a half a row of Tiles but you'd have to sacrifice quite a lot of the visual design that there currently is. I mean, that Start looks mighty busy when the negative space on the top is not there anymore, doesn't it? One of the Metro UI design guidelines asks for letting your design breathe and it does that for a reason. Negative space is not blank space nor wasted space, it's a visual design element like a button is.
There's a reason why the text in books doesn't start from the very edges of the paper, and the same applies to the Windows Phone as well.
- 05-09-2013, 11:32 PM #6Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.
3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)
I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
- By Brandon Haley in forum HTC 8XReplies: 18Last Post: 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM
- By odoggyfresh in forum XBOX MusicReplies: 9Last Post: 03-11-2013, 05:28 AM
- By mdharter in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 3Last Post: 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
- By xxhonkeyxx in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 8Last Post: 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM
- By Covfam in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 3Last Post: 11-26-2012, 05:25 AM