Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Google demands Microsoft removes YouTube Windows Phone app, cites lack of ads | The Verge

"Microsoft updated its own YouTube application for Windows Phone just over a week ago and Google isn't impressed. The Verge has obtained a copy of a cease and desist letter that Google has sent to Microsoft recently, demanding that Microsoft "immediately withdraw this application from the Windows Phone Store and disable existing downloads of the application by Wednesday, May 22, 2013." Microsoft's YouTube app for Windows Phone appears to have taken Google by surprise."
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 05-15-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Updated link to desktop version, TheVerge will automatically send mobile users to mobile version.
  2. cgk

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    Microsoft updated its own YouTube application for Windows Phone just over a week ago and Google isn't impressed. The Verge has obtained a copy of a cease and desist letter that Google has sent to Microsoft recently, demanding that Microsoft "immediately withdraw this application from the Windows Phone Store and disable existing downloads of the application by Wednesday, May 22, 2013." Microsoft's YouTube app for Windows Phone appears to have taken Google by surprise.
    and

Google's complaint centers on the lack of ads in Microsoft's YouTube app, something it claims is a direct violation of the terms and conditions of the company's YouTube API. The Verge has learned that Microsoft created the app without Google's consent with features that specifically prevent ads from playing.
    Google demands Microsoft removes YouTube Windows Phone app, cites lack of ads | The Verge

Interesting times, we are going to see those two companies get increasingly hard-ball with each other.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    What on earth was Microsoft thinking? Disabling ads not only means you're denying Google of their rightful revenue, since it's their service, but you're also denying income to those that make a living off of their YouTube videos. Seriously Microsoft?!
    Thanked by:
    return_0 likes this.

I never thought I would see a fan of internet ads.

I wonder if all the people leaving comments on the Verge who are defending Google don't use adblock and actually click on ads?
    theefman likes this.

Glad most WP users already downloaded it.
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post

I wonder if all the people leaving comments on the Verge who are defending Google don't use adblock and actually click on ads?
    adblock. Thanks to it, I haven't seen an ad on the internet in 5 years.
    Thanked by:
    iboypx 
    iboypx likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts

That's not the point. Content partners put their videos on YouTube knowing that Google will display ads on their videos for revenue or income. Big time company like Microsoft releases an app that bypasses ads means a grumpy Google, and more damaging, grumpy content partners. And you DONT want the later if you're the service provider.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 89caps View Post
    it'll probably stop working.

so goog says there's not enough traffic or market share with WP to warrant an app, so they don't build one. next MS builds one themselves and now goog says MS is taking bread out of babies mouths. must not be a lot of bread with such a small market share!

so your google chrome doesn't have adblock?
    metrotube hasn't had ads for how long? where is the C&D on that?
    On one hand Google says WP market share is too small that they don't bother developing for it or supporting it, on the other they send a C&D because this will block way too many ads and cause too much revenue damage for Google and content providers.
    So either Google thinks WP market share is significant or will be significant or this is immaterial to them and they just want to continue the flame war.
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    What on earth was Microsoft thinking? Disabling ads not only means you're denying Google of their rightful revenue, since it's their service, but you're also denying income to those that make a living off of their YouTube videos. Seriously Microsoft?!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 89caps View Post
    Google also demanded that the app be disabled for people who have already downloaded it.

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts
    It's kinda annoying hanging to deal with this, but this is really Microsoft's fault for bypassing the ads. That seems to be the primary issue here. You can't be mad at Google for trying to protect their service and the content creators.
    Thanked by:

In the time that ammarmalik2011 spends here on this board complaining about Microsoft he could be out there clicking ads for Google and making them money. Poor form.
    Thanked by:

thank you squire777

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts
    Here's more of the article... The part that explains why:

"Google's complaint centers on the lack of ads in Microsoft's YouTube app, something it claims is a direct violation of the terms and conditions of the company's YouTube API. The Verge has learned that Microsoft created the app without Google's consent with features that specifically prevent ads from playing. The lack of ads clearly hits Google's own revenues, but also those of its third-party content creators that are paid through the company's AdSense program. "Unfortunately, by blocking advertising and allowing downloads of videos, your application cuts off a valuable ongoing revenue source for creators, and causes harm to the thriving content ecosystem on YouTube," says Google's letter, addressed to Microsoft's Todd Brix."

funny enough this is what page said recently about Oracle: Page named the tech giant Oracle as one of the roadblocks to faster progress. "Money is more important to them" than having any kind of cooperation, he said. The two companies have clashed repeatedly over patents

hey don't want ads blocked, how about develop an app for WP? Oh wait I forgot, money is more important to you than any kind of co-operation as well. I guess Don't be Evil is out the door
    Thanked by:
    KHROMAsynthetik likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by borasar View Post
    so your google chrome doesn't have adblock?
    metrotube hasn't had ads for how long? where is the C&D on that?
    On one hand Google says WP market share is too small that they don't bother developing for it or supporting it, on the other they send a C&D because this will block way too many ads and cause too much revenue damage for Google and content providers.
    So either Google thinks WP market share is significant or will be significant or this is immaterial to them and they just want to continue the flame war.
    An app developed by Microsoft and MetroTube, two totally different things.
    As for marketshare, that's only regarding developing the app by Google. It's got nothing to do with a big time content partner complaining about lost revenue.

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    We just got the app say it not so, Microsoft should keep it anyway.
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,284 Global Posts
    Threads merged
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Thanked by:

haha, double standards much?

if an app breaks terms of service it doesn't matter if its Microsoft or Metrotube, the terms have been broken. So google decides to shut down the Microsoft official app, while allowing numerous others exist for how long now?

I guess big time content partners don't complain about opportunity costs.....
    An app developed by Microsoft and MetroTube, two totally different things.
    As for marketshare, that's only regarding developing the app by Google. It's got nothing to do with a big time content partner complaining about lost revenue.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by borasar View Post
    haha, double standards much?

if an app breaks terms of service it doesn't matter if its Microsoft or Metrotube, the terms have been broken. So google decides to shut down the Microsoft official app, while allowing numerous others exist for how long now?

I guess big time content partners don't complain about opportunity costs.....
    You're assuming as if Google has made it clear they won't remove MetroTube. For all you know that day is just around the corner.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    You're assuming as if Google has made it clear they won't remove MetroTube. For all you know that day is just around the corner.
    I reckon Google will respond by having it so accessing YouTube on a WP will redirect to the Google homepage and have every app removed.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Developer

Google seems to think it will confuse consumers about where tha product comes from n who made it lol I'm not confused, I know Microsoft made n app that's a million times better!!! Lets pull tha support for Windows n Xbox from under Google n c where that tickles em😉
    From My Lumia 930

Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    I got my eye on you, Pakistani for your attitude
    Last edited by 12Danny123; 05-16-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    Developer

Who's tha Paki? I'm from Aussie bro😉
    From My Lumia 930
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast