Something is amiss with Windows Phone this week...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I get the impression Windows Phone had a concrete agenda this week and something fell apart rather recently.

Evidence of this is a bunch of official apps that are just sort of being dumped out now, coincidently the same week of BUILD.

Additionally Telefonica is now releasing a rather subdued PR release talking about a Microsoft Windows Phone partnership.

Joe Belfiore announced rather abruptly he wouldn't be at BUILD and went on to debunk any rumors.

Where there is smoke there is fire....

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there's much going on in WP8 land right now, we have a couple of small updates before WP8.1 (blue). I guess it's too early to start talking about it yet.

Nothing big in the way of WP8 was expected for //Build/ anyway from what I've been reading.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
All I saw was his tweet saying he wouldn't be at Build, he was "stuck" in Finland. Not sure what to make of it, no one was really expecting much wp news from Build anyway. Maybe the WPC guys at Build can dig up something.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
He's probably stuck here in Finland cos it's so hot that he doesnt want to get out of the air conditioned building to catch a flight :D

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well we all know Microsoft likes to shoot a wad of official apps out at once at these events, as stupid as that is. The fact we have seen so many official apps trickle out this week and last leads me to believe that was the plan and it got canceled. I'm betting we will see more PR type announcements and apps come out this week that were probably supposed to be part of a keynote at BUILD.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
here come the wad of apps like I told you guys....Voxer, Walgreens, Xfinity and the list will go on all week no doubt. This is what leads me to believe WP presence at BUILD was supposed to be something bigger. And did you see Ballmer holding DUMMY phones? WTF they have never done that before. Something is definitely up.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never followed Build, since I"m not a developer. Has Windows Phone (or even old Windows Mobile) ever been a major focus of Build? Or has Build always emphasized desktop Windows developers?

MinnesotaSteve

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never followed Build, since I"m not a developer. Has Windows Phone (or even old Windows Mobile) ever been a major focus of Build? Or has Build always emphasized desktop Windows developers?

They started Mix in 2006 to try to reach web developers. The conference was different, more fun, dynamic... or at least attempted to be. By 2010, Mix had gotten into a lot of phone stuff. I was at the last one in 2011 and they were really pushing WP7 at that point. Then they announced they weren't going to do a Mix2012. Build conference was announced for late 2011 and essentially replaced Mix, and had the broader focus.

Build seems focused on the consumer side, or at least the fun side... As they try to unify phone/tablet/desktop it makes sense. There's a lot about Visual Studio, TFS and Azure. But if you want to talk about Biztalk, SQL Server and enterprisey things that's more focused at TechEd.

You never know... Next year's Build may be about XBox One. That's part of the problem with Microsoft, they lack focus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb