Losing faith in windows phone

laith91

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Managed to delete the thread by mistake, but will try ti write it again.

windows phone and mainly Nokia, is focusing on expanding their consumer numbers by producing more products with different price ranges, rather than focusing on satisfying their current consumers with more software improvement. Satisfied Windows phone users is the best way to spread the word about windows phone.

There is no special features in this platform except the UI, which is pretty unique and easy to use and what happens to be the reason for my windows phone choice. But sooner or later the consumer will start getting bored of looking at the same majestic UI and changing tile sizes, and start demanding a phone that satisfies his everyday needs. Microsofts delivery of software improvement is going way too slow compared to nokias phone production. With that being said, windows phone does not even have a "back" button on its ie. It simply lacks alot of simple standards that every other phone platform should and would have managed to fix after several years of first platform release.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Edit: the original post was completely rewritten. The current second iteration is infinitaly more reasonable, specific and informed. As a result, my response seems "out of place", but I am leaving it unchanged:

Somewhat weird post, OP.

Nokia doesn't make the OS, Microsoft does. Where Nokia is involved they add a lot of great software improvements: great camera apps, Nokia glance, live sight, etc.

While I can understand your disappointment, Nokia is the last company you should be looking to blame.

Last edited:

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Sooner the consumer will start getting bored of looking at the same majestic UI and changing tile size, and start demanding a phone that satisfy his everyday needs
Well, better than a static sea of icons that's been and still in iOS so yeah =/

That being said, windows phone does not even have a "back" button on it's ie. It simply lacks alot of simple standards that every other phone platform should and would have fixed after several years of first release.

I believe that "back" button is the back capacity button that has been on the phone since it's released.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Nokia has been releasing phone models to hit all the price points from bottom to top, there have been improvements and WP8 is still only about 8 months old so you should start seeing many improvements once the GDRs start rolling out and a huge upgrade when Blue (8.1) lands near the new year or whatever it is.

laith91

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
The back button that is next to my home screen will stop working as a back button if I open any other app, and then return to my internet session. What it does after you return to your internett session is close the internett app and return you back to your home screen.

Amran Nagal

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
The back button that is next to my home screen will stop working as a back button if I open any other app, and then return to my internet session. What it does after you return to your internett session is close the internett app and return you back to your home screen.
bob you press and hold the back button to switch between apps. :p

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
OP is right about the IE back-button. That MS placed app-navigation and web-page-navigation on the same button leads to all kinds of chaos.

For example, if you switch to IE using the task switcher, using the hardware back button takes you back to the previous app, when you might have wanted to move to the previous web page, which is no longer possible.

The two concepts need to be separated. Software based forward and backward buttons for web page navigation, and the hardware button for navigation between apps (which is what it is used for everywhere else). This would also allow us to close IE with a single tap of the hardware back button, instead of requiring us to spam it.

I consider this one of WP's worst design flaws.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
OP is right about the IE back-button. That MS placed app-navigation and web-page-navigation on the same button leads to all kinds of chaos.

For example, if you switch to IE using the task switcher, using the hardware back button takes you back to the previous app, when you might have wanted to move to the previous web page, which is no longer possible.

The two concepts need to be separated. Software based forward and backward buttons for web page navigation, and the hardware button for navigation between apps (which is what it is used for everywhere else). This would also allow us to close IE with a single tap of the hardware back button, instead of requiring us to spam it.

I consider this one of WP's worst design flaws.

to Be honest I agree. But I like the way IE10 in windows 8 does it. Just swipe back to your previous page. Genius. With the WP and windows team merging together I think we'll get that feature

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
to Be honest I agree. But I like the way IE10 in windows 8 does it. Just swipe back to your previous page. Genius. With the WP and windows team merging together I think we'll get that feature

That solves all those problems too! I'll take it ;-)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

But I actually like destroying the back button ;)

I'd want this and more from WP 8.1.
For example, being able to swipe from the left for switching apps and swiping from the right for the charms. I'm not sure if the latter is possible, but it would clear the path for buttonless Windows Phones.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I will say that the Nokia 520/521 is RIGHT NOW, the best selling smartphone in the world, as told by my T-Mo rep buddy.. I believe her. She's can't keep them in stock.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I will say that the Nokia 520/521 is RIGHT NOW, the best selling smartphone in the world, as told by my T-Mo rep buddy.. I believe her. She's can't keep them in stock.
maybe in terms of sales of the last quarter or 2 but not in total sales.
IPhone 4 is still the most used smartphone unfortunately

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
But I actually like destroying the back button ;)

I'd want this and more from WP 8.1.
For example, being able to swipe from the left for switching apps and swiping from the right for the charms. I'm not sure if the latter is possible, but it would clear the path for buttonless Windows Phones.

I like most gesture based software but I don't really wanna see my buttons go, also swiping l/r for switching apps is kinda hard and annoying to implement (as you would switch apps by accident).

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
agree with the OP that MS is slow in delivering much needed features, the much touted GDR2/GDR3 are now only expected to be upgrades to OS to support newer devices but hardly any improvements to existing customers, WP8.1 is further pushed from its original intended date, I agree that they require time to do this and prioritize as per their business model, but atleast they should be vocal in informing customers what they should expect, afterall we are not asking for an y killer features but basic smartphone features that the competition already has.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
agree with the OP that MS is slow in delivering much needed features, the much touted GDR2/GDR3 are now only expected to be upgrades to OS to support newer devices but hardly any improvements to existing customers, WP8.1 is further pushed from its original intended date, I agree that they require time to do this and prioritize as per their business model, but atleast they should be vocal in informing customers what they should expect, afterall we are not asking for an y killer features but basic smartphone features that the competition already has.

There is really not much I CAN'T do with my Windows Phone 8X by HTC that I would want to do with my PHONE. I don't Instagram, I don't Twatter (thank you Couples' Retreat, also 2 Broke Girls). I use my phone to stay available to people I care about, to connect to them, and also to make cash through my various hustles, ie enterprising. I don't need a notification center, have a Lock Screen. I have games I want to play, in fact just got the BETA for a Playstation emulator today. I'm content, slightly on the edge of blissful. I can torrent, watch the LATEST movies, pull anything I need from anywhere, program my DVR, and rock out to some sick a$$ Beats when I want.

Just sayin. That's how I use my phone..

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Do you think they'll improve volume control and put a stop button on the music? Make Groups easier to access in the People Hub? (The Groups layout in Mango was less convoluted!) There are many little odd things about the OS. But this is my second Nokia WP. I'm a happy camper. Oh yeah! Voice typing input system wide... make that happen.

Promethius99

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Re:not Losing faith in windows phone

I am using the awesome lumia 925 windows phone, apart from some basic apps missing, (ability to make and use own sounds for sms messaging, no call and text blocking features, Come on Microsoft get it sorted!), I am impressed with how smooth it runs with no signs of lag,(subject to good signal obviously) and the fact it syncs seamlessly with my home windows network, I have to say, in my humble opinion, Apple products whilst being classed as premium products, are overrated, and overpriced, especially the I phone, my friend uses an Iphone 5, and my lumia beats it hands down, I do think Nokia got a little confused along the way, with multiple os, Symbian 60, Meego, Meamo (remember that? n900), but with the widows operating system are maybe getting back on track, I must admit though,that I am a big Nokia fan
Promethius99

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)