Reset Factory: A Total Pain!

jhayEL

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if anyone here has experienced this.

I reset my phone last night because my storage got eaten by the "other memory" bug. Two moving gears appeared, probably an indication that the phone is resetting. I waited for almost 30 mins. and still the phone hasn't restarted yet. I tried to restart the phone by holding the volume down key + power key. The Nokia logo appeared but after few seconds the battery icon appeared indicating that the phone needs to charge up.

I plugged the charger and restarted the phone again. The moving gears reappeared. I waited for another hour then 2, still the phone won't start. I thought already that there's something wrong with my phone so I searched the net and looked for answers. I found out that there's a lot who experienced the same thing. That it took 3-4 hours before their phone restarted. So, I waited patiently. I got slept while waiting. When I woke up in the morning, after almost 10 hours of waiting for the phone to restart, unfortunately it's still the same.

I already decided to bring my phone to Nokia Center when suddenly the phone restarted and windows phone logo appeared.

I can't believe that it will take that long before my phone restarts. Is this normal? Since the other memory bug is still an issue, I'm sure I will repeat the same process in the future. I hope MS fix this ASAP!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It's, well, a bug. Fingers crossed that it got fixed in GDR2 or will be fixed in GDR3. I've been careful to manage my Other Storage, but I've Hard Reset my phone twice. With no problems.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Also, what phone are you using and what build is the OS?
It took me 30 minutes to hard reset and set up my phone (my internet connection is, well, slow.)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
How do you manage your other storage?
If you use the Storage Check app, you'll find multiple ways to clear the Other Storage.
Also, turn off auto-upload to SkyDrive and reboot your device occasionally.
Also, you'll notice certain apps fill more space with app data than others. Reinstall those apps if the data isn't important.

jhayEL

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
If you use the Storage Check app, you'll find multiple ways to clear the Other Storage.
Also, turn off auto-upload to SkyDrive and reboot your device occasionally.
Also, you'll notice certain apps fill more space with app data than others. Reinstall those apps if the data isn't important.
Thanks for the advice! I think watching videos eats a lot of storage space. Browsing the web too.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if anyone here has experienced this.

I reset my phone last night because my storage got eaten by the "other memory" bug. Two moving gears appeared, probably an indication that the phone is resetting. I waited for almost 30 mins. and still the phone hasn't restarted yet. I tried to restart the phone by holding the volume down key + power key. The Nokia logo appeared but after few seconds the battery icon appeared indicating that the phone needs to charge up.

I plugged the charger and restarted the phone again. The moving gears reappeared. I waited for another hour then 2, still the phone won't start. I thought already that there's something wrong with my phone so I searched the net and looked for answers. I found out that there's a lot who experienced the same thing. That it took 3-4 hours before their phone restarted. So, I waited patiently. I got slept while waiting. When I woke up in the morning, after almost 10 hours of waiting for the phone to restart, unfortunately it's still the same.

I already decided to bring my phone to Nokia Center when suddenly the phone restarted and windows phone logo appeared.

I can't believe that it will take that long before my phone restarts. Is this normal? Since the other memory bug is still an issue, I'm sure I will repeat the same process in the future. I hope MS fix this ASAP!

Restart the phone, and at the Nokia Logo, press Vol Up -> Vol Down -> Power -> Vol Down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster