T-mobile rep quizzed me on WP

vistascan32

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I got my sister an unlocked yellow 1020 and took her to the T-Mobile store to get a new sim card. When we got to the store one of the reps immediately noticed the phone and started asking me about it. He asked about the colors, the camera, apps - the usual stuff. At one point he even pointed out that people weren't buying the 925 because there wasn't an Instagram app for WP. To my surprise he brought up Instance as alternative. Right before I left the store I noticed that he himself was using the 925 with the charging pad, which was cool.

It was a very interesting experience.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
If people aren't buying the 925 because of the lack of an (official) Instagram app, it's a sad state of affairs. It's great to hear that there are cool reps like this who actually like WP and are knowledgeable on the platform, though.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
What is the world coming to, when the decency of an OS is determined based on its lacking of one app (a lot of apps makes sense, but <i>one?</i>).

Glad to hear there are still sales reps out there who listen to the customer!

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The "app" problem is paper argument. Different OS's are always going to have different apps. You have to find something to sell your devise. An app gets popular you buy it and keep it proprietary. Then you can market apps rather than improving on OS/hardware.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, is this one of the reasons people and businesses shy'ed away from the Mac due to the lack of applications and programs that were available on windows?

Apps, er applications played a role in the past and sill do, even if these apps are somewhat not on the same level as before.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, is this one of the reasons people and businesses shy'ed away from the Mac due to the lack of applications and programs that were available on windows?

Apps, er applications played a role in the past and sill do, even if these apps are somewhat not on the same level as before.

Exactly, just because we don't think Instagram isn't important doesn't mean that it isn't. Why should someone buy a certain phone if it doesn't do something they deem necessary, but a competitor does?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly the backwards mentality some people have. They wont touch a 3rd party app even if its way more polished and well maintained than an official app. I remember when my sisters friend was selling her lumia 800 i asked her why was she selling it. She replied cos she couldn't install her ios apps on her L800 via itunes therefore wp was sh*** and was going to get android as someone said to install apps that's what u use. At that point i didn't know either to rage rant or laugh my *** off. So with a straight face i told her even if her friend tried that it wont even bloody work and that if she wants to get rid of it that badly ill buy it for ?10, as ill just use it as a trade in for the L920 when released. Oh that changed her friend's mind pretty sharpish lol.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's a bit stupid just to not buy a phone that doesn't have the official app.

But has multiple other third-party apps...

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well it is almost like buying off brand merchandise products. Even thought they may have the same ingredients or is manufactured by the same parent company, people will still rather have the official one...

For instance, 6stance will have the approval from instagram for use and validity. Some people may still see it as off brand. I actually see Rudy making it better and instagram taking cues from him!

I want a good product, third party or not... I'm not a instagram person, but good apps, official or not is want i want. I just dislike when vendors make developers take down there app, when the vendor infect does not want to support the platform... They are telling the customers of certain platforms, we don't care about you... Why not throw those devs a bone as they still bring you customers and did work they did not have to do.

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
To me what happened with the 925 is that Tmobile didn't pick the right timing to launch the phone. After one or two weeks AT&T and Nokia came out with the 1020 and that affected the 925

vistascan32

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
People like instagram, if they find it essential then that's what they want (need, I guess).

The rep also talked about the Xbox integration and and using Xbox music. He asked my sister if she had an Xbox and when she said no he was like "why even have a windows phone?" which I just laughed at.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I would hardly compare the two. Mac OS was (and in some instances, still is) incompatible with many peripherals as well as software which were necessary to accomplish anything meaningful with the device. As popular and trendy as Instagram is I doubt that anything meaningful has ever, or will ever come of it that couldn't be done elsewhere. Besides, as it was pointed out, the functionality is there, just not from the horse's mouth.

I still don't think this is worth getting fired up about. The individuals who's priorities are set in such a way so as to find this a problem will simply flock to whatever is trendiest and will not be the true measure of an OS' success.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It does suck that there isn't an official app for Instagram and that consumers aren't interested in third party alternatives. I'm interested in anything as long as it works. I think one thing stores can do is load up the third party alternatives like Instance or soon to come 6tag and get folks to see that it CAN be possible to do without much work.

And let's not be like Crackberry and act like certain apps aren't needed, when clearly they are.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
And let's not be like Crackberry and act like certain apps aren't needed, when clearly they are.

If you're referring to me, I didn't say Instagram wasn't needed. I said the fact that WP doesn't have the official app shouldn't be compared to the time when Apple's OS wouldn't even work with your printer. Social networking apps, particularly minimalistic ones like Instagram should hardly be compared to essential basic functionality like being able to print a document or run the software that's needed for your company.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon