Lets show Google we're fed up with their bad treatment of us Windows Phone Users!

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Like anybody cares about that, besides of course the people on this forum. Microsoft is no better.

really? Search google privacy issues and tell me no one cares.

Also i cant remember Microsoft being in every newspaper in the uk over privacy issues recently.....oh wait that space has been filled by google in the papers.

Get.a.grip

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft made an option to change google to default search they might treat us better,I know I would prefer google as the search.

jonathanbailie

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I like the integrated Bing search much better than anything Google has to offer. I'm using my HTC One right now, so I'm familiar with Google searches. I really love Google Now, but as far as a general search goes, I prefer the Bing button/search on my L920.

I don't necessarily think that Microsoft needs Google. Aside from YouTube, what else do we use that's Google branded? Maybe gmail, but that's not really a huge issue. Microsoft has their own ecosystem to stand on; Office, Outlook, Live, Bing, etc. Many of those services do exactly what Google's services do, and sometimes better.

Just my .02 cents. I just think Microsoft will be fine without Google.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
really? Search google privacy issues and tell me no one cares.

Also i cant remember Microsoft being in every newspaper in the uk over privacy issues recently.....oh wait that space has been filled by google in the papers.

Get.a.grip

You're right; a few people do care. But only a few. Google processes the majority of searches. Why? Because these so called privacy breaches help them to be the best at producing results. The other companies aren't any better at privacy. They collect your data as well. The difference is that they don't know how to use the data they collect. Android's market share is around 75%, and it's not dropping. WP's market share barely rose YoY. So relatively few people care.

Here's another thing to think about: some businesses say there is no such thing as bad publicity. That is true to a point. Not that Google needed any more exposure, but for some companies it has given them exposure and made them a household name. Very few people say they're going to "Bing" something; they "Google" it. Even Microsoft fans on this forum write that.

All that said, I don't necessarily disagree with those saying that we're getting to a scary place with our information. I just wanted to point out that judging by how many users keep using Google & Android that I don't believe a significant amount of people are fed up with Google. Of course, a lot of the WP users are, but that's a very small number. Your privacy is gone anyway; you might as well let it work for you.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
You're right; a few people do care. But only a few. Google processes the majority of searches. Why? Because these so called privacy breaches help them to be the best at producing results. The other companies aren't any better at privacy. They collect your data as well. The difference is that they don't know how to use the data they collect. Android's market share is around 75%, and it's not dropping. WP's market share barely rose YoY. So relatively few people care.

Here's another thing to think about: some businesses say there is no such thing as bad publicity. That is true to a point. Not that Google needed any more exposure, but for some companies it has given them exposure and made them a household name. Very few people say they're going to "Bing" something; they "Google" it. Even Microsoft fans on this forum write that.

All that said, I don't necessarily disagree with those saying that we're getting to a scary place with our information. I just wanted to point out that judging by how many users keep using Google & Android that I don't believe a significant amount of people are fed up with Google. Of course, a lot of the WP users are, but that's a very small number. Your privacy is gone anyway; you might as well let it work for you.
That bit about "googling" it is actually a very good point..i don't think there will ever be a time where people say bing it.

I just hope there is a day when wp is recognised properly and grows to be in the big leagues with ios and android in terms of market share. Infact not even android, just wp second ahead of ios.

Anyway, im thinking boycotting google and making a negative fuss wont make them more willing to provide youtube and other google services.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I just hope there is a day when wp is recognised properly and grows to be in the big leagues with ios and android in terms of market share. Infact not even android, just wp second ahead of ios.

I hope so too. I tried WP, twice actually, but for me it still isn't quite there. I think when WP gets its act together and gets a bit closer to the big boys in features and functionality that recognition will come.

Anyway, im thinking boycotting google and making a negative fuss wont make them more willing to provide youtube and other google services.

Correct, I also believe it won't accomplish much of anything. Not enough people will do it. Even if, say, every single WP user would boycott Google, the number would be insignificant. Users won't ditch Google because let's face it; whether or not we agree with their privacy policies & practices, Google's services are too good to ignore. (How many people have even heard of Vimeo?)

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I hope so too. I tried WP, twice actually, but for me it still isn't quite there. I think when WP gets its act together and gets a bit closer to the big boys in features and functionality that recognition will come.

Correct, I also believe it won't accomplish much of anything. Not enough people will do it. Even if, say, every single WP user would boycott Google, the number would be insignificant. Users won't ditch Google because let's face it; whether or not we agree with their privacy policies & practices, Google's services are too good to ignore. (How many people have even heard of Vimeo?)

I'd agree that it's doubtful that it would accomplish much. However, every grassroots campaign has to start somewhere and laying down and just taking it certainly won't help matters. Even if it brings a little attention, that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. People can choose to take part or not, and for those that do, more power to you!

replay0

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I use Google, but only as a necessity for occasional gmail use, and primarily Youtube. I do prefer Vimeo, but I don't see that or any other video service coming up in mass popularity on Youtube's level for years, if that's even possible. It would take a big screwup on Google or Youtube's part in order for another video service to become popular, sadly. I use Outlook for email & calendar, Bing Maps, Bing Search, SkyDrive, and Office Products. I am the only anti-Google, anti-Apple person among my friends and co-workers. Maybe someday they'll realize having one monopoly such as Google having all their data and search queries is a very bad thing.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
If other people care or not is irrelevant. I could even be the only person taking a stance about Google. But at least I made a choice for my self. One have the freedom to choose, and its each for its own. I made the choice to block and not use any Google products. Microsoft may not be much better, but Google is in the first line leading privacy issues. I made a choice and I'm happy I at least gave it a thought. YouTube is really hard to live without though.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Short and sweet read http://blogs.computerworld.com/wind...blocking-windows-phones-youtube-app-word-fear.

And for those claiming you can't leave google services because they are the best, I can personally say there is no google service that meets that criteria for me and as such do not use any google service apart from being forced to view videos on youtube and none of my online experiences and anything less than first rate with the Microsoft services I choose to use.

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
This is the silliest thread I have ever seen. Google will not miss WP users. They sell plenty of androids to hook you on their services.

Yes Google is being childish, but even Apple was quick to ask for google maps again for iOS 6. Google Maps is a heck of a lot more accurate than what Nokia is putting out. I have a 50% chance of going to the wrong location when using Here Maps.

Trying to punish Google is silly, WP needs their support because most people use them. Its that simple.

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
This is the silliest thread I have ever seen. Google will not miss WP users. They sell plenty of androids to hook you on their services.

Yes Google is being childish, but even Apple was quick to ask for google maps again for iOS 6. Google Maps is a heck of a lot more accurate than what Nokia is putting out. I have a 50% chance of going to the wrong location when using Here Maps.

Trying to punish Google is silly, WP needs their support because most people use them. Its that simple.

Google will lose marketshare when Samsung move to the Tizen OS

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
We should not delude ourselves, WP is still very small in the global scene and cannot put a big hurt on Google as it is now. Its still the new kid on the block. We need Google to support WP because new users (read: anyone not obsessed with tech) are still dependent on them and will not make a full switch cold turkey to outlook and other services. Google+ has barely hurt other social media because it does not offer features most users need.

Samsung using Tizen would shake up the mobile industry so much that we should worry about them making the move. Sammy has a lot of power now, but they would grow stronger by having full control over there platform. And most consumers wouldn't know the change from Android to Tizen occurred because it looks like Touch Wiz.

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Gurggles I do agree with what you say.
At present I do think we will have to wait and see if MS and Google can sort this issue out between themselves. No matter how much we scream and shout i don't think we will be heard.

If neither MS or Google can provide us with an official Youtube app then there are some excellent 3rd party alternatives available.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Short and sweet read Why is Google blocking Windows Phone's YouTube app? In a word, fear | Computerworld Blogs.

And for those claiming you can't leave google services because they are the best, I can personally say there is no google service that meets that criteria for me and as such do not use any google service apart from being forced to view videos on youtube and none of my online experiences and anything less than first rate with the Microsoft services I choose to use.

I agree with the author. Google seems to have this certain insecurity in regards to MS and Apple and it does appear that they will try every underhand tactic to keep their marketshare.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786